Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Forrest

LW's + Tommy Chong = Public Radio Gold

Postby Forrest » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:15 am

www.kuow.org

Today at 2:00 PDT on KUOW Seattle.

At 2:05 p.m. - The Long Winters
Seattle band The Long Winters is not particularly interested in blowing you away with rock intensity or getting you up on the dance floor. Mostly what band leader John Roderick and company want to do is tell you some stories and put those stories in a compelling, guitar-friendly rock format. Along the way, the band has begun to receive national attention and acclaim. The Long Winters have a new record out, Putting the Days to Bed, and they join us for music, conversation, and stories.

At 2:30 p.m. - Tommy Chong
Tommy Chong, one half of the marijuana-boosting comedy duo Cheech and Chong, spent nine months in a federal prison because Chong Glass, a company run by his son, shipped bongs to a head shop in Pennsylvania that was, in fact, a DEA front. Now he’s back with The I Chong, and ready to talk about the erosion of civil liberties in this country. And, he throws in a dose of memoir, humor, and spirituality, too. Tommy Chong speaks
with Dave Beck.

You'll be telling your grandkids about this someday...
Or else.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:56 am

oh.my.god.

J-Rod's gonna talk, and then like, Tommy's gonna talk...and then...omg...they will hunker down over club sodas and mobilize a whirlwind speaking tour organized around BRINGING DOWN THE MAN, MAN.

*thumbs raised aloft*

Yesssssssssssssssssss.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:40 pm

so here i was watching Pirates of the Caribbean on tv when i could have listened to the Long Winters? Arrrr!

well, at least i'm listening to Chong now...

icapants

Postby icapants » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:56 pm

Tooooootally missed it.
I suck. :(

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:30 pm

We. Met. Chong.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:48 am

fret not, Ica, here's the KUOW archive of this The Beat episode.
no idea how long it will be up though

icapants

Postby icapants » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:13 am

Thank yooooooou! <3

Edit:
Uh, like 9 minutes in, John turned into the devil. Now I am sad again.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:16 pm

icapants wrote:Thank yooooooou! <3

Edit:
Uh, like 9 minutes in, John turned into the devil. Now I am sad again.

This is why we must support public radio; otherwise, they can only afford a 6 minute interview stretched out to 20 minutes. Plus, we're deprived of a show that never made it past the Pilot, "Eatin' cookies with Megan Sukys"

This version of Clouds kinda brings a new meaning to slow-core, though.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:35 pm

[introduction and banter]
Seven
[interview]
Clouds
[interview]
Teaspoon
[banter]

zornog

Postby zornog » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:49 pm

My brother lives in Portland, and he's a really huge marijuana activist, he's on the board of Oregon NORML and some other shit I can't remember right now, despite the fact that he tells me about it constantly. Anyway, he went to some pothead meeting in San Fran and met Tommy Chong there. He looks pretty cool, though, come on, he smokes pot all the time.

So, yeah, if any of you in the Portland area ever have, like, a slight cough or maybe a hangnail, get in touch with my brother and he will hook. you. up.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:36 am

icapants wrote:Uh, like 9 minutes in, John turned into the devil. Now I am sad again.

Whoa, that kinda freaked me out. Listening at work while finishing up the 2006 Iowa Field Hockey media guide (I'm sure the Hawkeyes are all y'alls favorite field hockey team), when suddenly John's voice freaks out and starts saying something about Captain Solo being on his wall.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:03 am

zornog wrote:My brother lives in Portland, and he's a really huge marijuana activist, he's on the board of Oregon NORML and some other shit I can't remember right now, despite the fact that he tells me about it constantly. Anyway, he went to some pothead meeting in San Fran and met Tommy Chong there. He looks pretty cool, though, come on, he smokes pot all the time.

So, yeah, if any of you in the Portland area ever have, like, a slight cough or maybe a hangnail, get in touch with my brother and he will hook. you. up.

New Favorite Boarder, hands down.
Say, does your brother have any need for lots of Barsuk-related merchandise?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 am

i didn't understand what the devil thing was about until i relistened on the mp3 link; however the realplayer one gives no problem, and boy, acoustic teaspoon is worth hearing. Not a song I would have though works like stripped down like that, but it did.

it should be up for a few more days, it looks like they have a week's worth of archive on there.

zornog

Postby zornog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:11 am

Forrest wrote:Say, does your brother have any need for lots of Barsuk-related merchandise?

No, but I do.

Maybe we can work something out.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:19 pm

Liesbeth wrote: however the realplayer one gives no problem, and boy, acoustic teaspoon is worth hearing.

I'm unfortunately having trouble with Real Player as well - it's timing out about 1.20 minutes in, right after the show intro. Hmm.

zornog

Postby zornog » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:41 pm

It's really easy to get the .mp3 of the beat, well, if you have winamp, at least.

dunno if that's good or bad

[edit: it's bad when john turns into the devil]

philistien

Postby philistien » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:49 pm

i dunno if someone beat me to this but since i'm working on coming out of my shell and whatnot, i thought you'd all like to know that there's a 59 minute and 20 second podcast of the long winters as the KEXP live performances podcast of the week. it is most impressive and can be obtained roundabout the KEXP website.

icapants

Postby icapants » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:43 am

It looks like you may have beaten me to it. :)

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:46 am

Neat. Superneat.
All i have to do now is figure out how to deal with this podcast subscribing. I know i'm a dumbass but i don't have an mp3 player, and until now there was always just a simple download link with podcasts I wanted to hear, so I could listen on my pc.

icapants

Postby icapants » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:56 am

Liesbeth wrote:Neat. Superneat.
All i have to do now is figure out how to deal with this podcast subscribing. I know i'm a dumbass but i don't have an mp3 player, and until now there was always just a simple download link with podcasts I wanted to hear, so I could listen on my pc.

I an upload it for you if you can't figure out how to straight download it. :)

Return to “Swoon”