sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

TLW Toronto Tape Tree

Postby sour29 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:44 am

UPDATED:

Code: Select all

THE LONG WINTERS TAPE TREE
--------------------------

2004.06.06:    Lee's Palace; Toronto, ONT, Canada (2 CAM AUD/AMT DV-SOURCED DVD)
2004.06.06:    Lee's Palace; Toronto, ONT, Canada (1 AUD DV-CAM SOURCED AUDIO CD)
2006.10.04:    Lee's Palace; Toronto, ONT, Canada (1 CAM AUD/AMT DV-SOURCED INC.DVD.)
2006.10.04:    Lee's Palace; Toronto, ONT, Canada (1 AUD AKG 463 > Marantz PMD660 SOURCED AUDIO CDs)
2006.10.04:    Lee's Palace; Toronto, ONT, Canada (1 INC. SBD MDSR-60 > MD-M SOURCED AUDIO CD.)

For lots more information, please check out THIS WEB SITE.

The shows have been taped, EQ'd, tracked, transferred, ripped, and otherwise prepared and are completely and totally ready to get out to you, the Long Winters fanatic. MP3 samples are available throughout this thread, and a iPod-compatible Quicktime file is available in The Treehouse. You can now sign up at the above website to become either a Branch or a Leaf.

UPDATE #2
Alright, time is almost up and we have had exactly four sign-ups. As you can probably guess, that's not much of a tree. Since sign-up is scheduled to close in a couple of days, you MUST sign up ASAP if you plan to participate. If you have signed up, but are not listed below, please sign up again. Your entry got lost somewhere in e-mail land. There's going to be lots more Long Winters goodness to come, but only if this proves to be a successful venture. We need at least a dozen participants to make this a successful tree. Right now, we have only 1/3rd of that! :O

I have forms from the following persons:
T. Wirt; IA
M. Dennis; NM
M. Gaubinger; AUS
R. Olsen; WA

Again, if you're not on this list and would like to participate, e-mail or PM the form to me ASAP. Thanks! :)
Last edited by sour29 on Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 pm

OK, update time.

The show was fantastic. I'll post about that elsewhere. The recording went amazing, great, and horrible all at the same time.

Milwaukee opened, and were amazing. Before their set, I saw someone setting up a video camera, and I asked the guy if he was taping the Long Winters... apparently, he was not just a Toronto fan, as I assumed, but someone touring with WMWF, and taping all their shows. But he agreed out of the kindness of his heart to video tape our beloved LW's and send me a DVD of it when their tour wraps up. This may delay the Tree, accordingly.

A board member, and owner of the excellent TorontoTapers.org, dcaley, who has been in contact with me over the last few weeks, set up a mic stand in front of the soundboard, and captured the entire show. I'm not sure what he plans on doing with it -- it may end up on Dime shortly, or maybe he'll read this and keep it in hand until the tree gets underway. Either way, it's up to him and I'm extremely grateful he came out to record.

Lastly, my soundboard recording is fantastic sounding .. but that's where the disaster comes in. Due to a technical malfunction, I lost all but the last four songs. I changed the battery between songs towards the end of the set, and my minidisc decided to overwrite everything that had been recorded before it. Kind of a heart breaker, really.

So, if all goes to plan, I will receive a DVD of the first 45m to an hour of the show, with huge thanks to Richard Santos. I can also include in the tree Dave Caley's recording ... which might only interest to a few people if it makes it to Dime beforehand. I can also include, as a bonus, the last four soundboard songs. Does that sound fair to everyone?

I'm really sorry the soundboard recording didn't work out. No one is more crushed than me. But what I have sounds great, and I look forward to getting it out to all you as soon as I possibly can.
Last edited by sour29 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 am

sounds very cool! I feel for your misfortune. (One of the reasons I don't record, I would just so surely mess it up.)

should the full show audio recording show up on Dime, you can include it in the tree anyway for those who cannot access Dime - that should work out okay with some communication between the branches and leaves. And video too, you rule!

Thanks for organizing this.

dcaley

Postby dcaley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:29 am

yeap, it was a pretty cool show. very long too. i didnt expect tlw to play for about 2 hours. though there was alot of talking/banter going on lastnight. ill probably have the recording ready tonight unless something else comes up. i was also very impressed with wmmf. unfortunetly i walked in just as they were starting and didnt get to record their set. i did capture menomena, if anyone is interested in that let me know.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:41 am

I caught all but the first song of WMWF off the soundboard, for the record. So between the two of us, Dave, we have pretty much the whole show. ;)

Liesbeth. Between the stress of having things go wrong, and anxiety of stealth recording when you're really not supposed to be recording, taping can give you an early heart attack. But, when you can listen back to the show anytime you want, AND share it with people across the world who had no way of making it to the concert, it is all very, very worth it.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 am

mmm, menomena!

ImLost@Sea

Postby ImLost@Sea » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:04 am

Holy crap, I can't imagine the anguish when you first realized you taped over the show. Sorry to hear that, a SBD of TLW would have been a real treat. Thanks anyway for the effort, it is appreciated regardless. Now I must be patient in getting my grubby mitts on that DVD...

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:06 am

OK, Sour, seriously - this is awesome!!! Paint me excited.

After reading the PDF, looks like I will have to start at the leaf level, but hopefully I can gather the necessities to grow into a branch someday.

You rock hard for organizing this.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:24 am

You can't have a tree without branches, so all thanks goes out to the entire community. We are all awesome.

The information in the first post has been modifed to reflect the expected final product. More details will get filled in as we go along, but it's now looking like 3 CD-Rs and 2 DVDs. I hope that's not breaking the bank for anybody.

Oh, I should've mentioned but haven't -- the blank DVD's will be of the single layer variety. It's easier that way than assuming everyone has a dual-layer burner and access to dual-layer DVD media.

dcaley

Postby dcaley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:10 am

here is sample (or tease) of my capture of last nights show. you'll notice it goes abit quieter, i lowered the levels and havent normalized it yet.

click here

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 am

I don't know about anyone else, but it won't download for me. Gets stuck on "Starting..."

dcaley

Postby dcaley » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 am

sour29 wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but it won't download for me. Gets stuck on "Starting..."

yea, had some webserver issues. all fixed now.

brodie

Postby brodie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 am

how do i sign up for this tree? i was at the show at lee's last night and it was damn amazing. I was standing beside the guy that was at the trew's show. i assume it is one of the people on this board! let me know!!!! keep up the ridiculously awesome taping!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Brodie! That was me, man. Were you the guy directly to my left? If so, I noticed you looked like you were having a fantastic time. It's always great to see that at a LW concert.

As the PDF file says, the tree will probably open up at the end of the month. Because I will be waiting on the video, I may leave it open a bit longer than October 31st. But there's no harm in setting up early and getting everything as organized as humanly possible to make sure it goes off without a hitch. I want everyone, world wide, to have a copy of this well before Christmas.

Anyhow, Brodie, please stick around the boards. You'll find there's some really wonderful people here. Besides, that's the only way you'll find out when the Tree opens up. ;)

Dave -- your recording sounds amazing. It really rivals the SBD recording. I have to pick up a cord to do the transfer of what little I got, but I'll try to get that done tomorrow or Saturday and put up a sample.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:39 am

The Torontoist websitehas a nice review of the evening.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:04 am

A very nice, and quite accurate, review. Although, considering two sold out concerts in the city, hockey's opening night, and the fact it was a weeknight, the crowd was actually fair-sized. Harvey Danger, playing the night before, didn't draw many more.

Don't forget to check out the Flickr account at the bottom of the article for some snazztastic pictures.

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:23 am

so we have to do all that stuff to get the file?
no upload and people download?

amazing show btw

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:39 am

You can download the show from that file. Or you can participate in the mail trade, and get a bunch of more goodies with it. Or you can trade (electronically or snail mail) with anyone who gets it through either two methods. Regardless, it should be quite easy to get your hands on.

EDIT: Wow. The Long Winters tab/music page shot up to 275 hits this week; up from 40 the week before.
Interestingly, though, it seems almost no one is downloading whole shows in the FLAC format -- rather just picking and choosing favourites. Even more off-topic, the most popular tabs are Pushover and Ultimatum.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:07 pm

http://thelongwinters.rawkpaperscissors.com/tapetree/

That site currently contains an updated and condensed-to-make-sense version of the above PDF file. Says basically the same things, but you should read over it once anyhow.

EDIT: E-mail address appears to be working again. Sign up all, and remember to put either LEAF or BRANCH in the subject! :)

PS. When boosting the volume for the 2006.10.04 show, I ended up doing a bit of EQing. Those of you who are waiting for the Tree-sourced shows over the FLAC ones are in for a real treat. It sounds louder (11db louder!) and clearer than ever before. I think it sounds as good as Boston! <3

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Yeah, that e-mail address is being very tempormental. Insofar as I've received No You Are's sign-up --- but no one elses, including the test e-mails I've sent to myself. So if anyone else has signed up, please re-send your entry to info@rawkpaperscissors.com . Thanks, and sorry for the technical glitch.

Return to “Swoon”