HaterHigh.com

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 pm

Hmm.

That reads like it should be in TapeOp.....

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:18 pm

I was hoping to be able to share this with you guys in a beautiful, lossless version, but alas -- it was not meant to be.

I was sent a copy of the Western States Hurricanes' final show in FLAC -- but careful listening and frequency analysis has proven that the tape went from the original recording to mp3 to CD, to FLAC, and then finally to my computer. Obviously, sharing mp3-sourced material in FLAC is a waste of time and bandwidth, as you will be getting the same frequencies of sound at 4x the file size. As such, I did what is generally considered a no-no in the trading community, and have released the recording as a transcode.

A transcode is basically a file that has been encoded to mp3 from another lossy source (ie. mp3 to mp3, real audio to mp3, wma to mp3, etc). Basically, it cuts frequencies twice, and generally tends to make for poopy-sounding mp3s.

However, I think there will be a lot of interest in hearing these MP3s. Against my better judgment, I have placed these MP3s up at HaterHigh. Get them before I come to my senses and remove them, which may be sooner than later! Enjoy, guys.

GMM

Postby GMM » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:18 am

John's post their is truley a delightful read for a North West Indie Rock nerd.

sour29

Re: HaterHigh.com

Postby sour29 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm

So the board's been dead all week. I feel like resurrecting an old thread. So what if it's for "self-promotion"?! At least maybe this will get us talking...

For those who aren't following HaterHigh.com on Twitter (@HaterHigh), you may not be aware that I recently got my hands on (and subsequently uploaded) two new old Long Winters shows. One of which is notable for being during the short "lean" Long Winters year in 2004, when the band performed as a solid three-piece (May 22nd , 2004; Fisherman's Cafe in Langenau, GER.), and the other being noteworthy as one of the best sounding recordings to date -- a soundboard recording (lovingly and patiently eq'ed by moi) of the band's long and energetic performance on November 3rd, 2006 at Paradiso in Amsterdam. Both are available in the Media > Lossless Audio section of the site in FLAC.

I have another trick or two up my sleeve for next week, too. So keep your peepers peeled people! ;) Enjoy ya'll!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:32 am

oh my, that Paradiso show was amazing, had no idea it had been recorded. Although haterhigh.com says it's 46:51, that can't be right. 1:46:51 more likely...

28 separate tracks, you're making us work for it, aren't you? You don't do zip-files?

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:23 pm

That brings back memories of seeing the three-piece in action.

Come to think of it, I have seen a different incarnation every time... the Sean Nelson on keys and snark Long Winters, the 3-man electrical jam, the Rothman/Nabil Experience and even John solo with the Bookeaters.

Now I just need them to come back to Iowa City with new drummer... and then again next year with their next drummer.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:35 pm

I would love to offer a zip option, but I can't afford to upload every show twice. We are on pretty strict (ie low) bandwidth caps here in Canada, and the overage charges are outrageous. I think, if you're using Firefox, there's an add-on called "get all" (I think?) that may or may not work for quickly getting all the downloadable files in one swoop. I'm away from home for the weekend so I can't verify.

And you're right about the total time. I probably didn't change it from the file I edited and re-saved. This show is just a hair under two hours if I recall correctly.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Awesome, I had no idea that those shows were recorded. Excellent work. I can verify that Liesbeth was rocking out throughout the Paradiso show. Unfortunately, that's not the show at the Paradiso where Ryan Adams jumped up on stage with us to sing "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and drunkenly usurped Sean's mic, oblivious to the fact that Sean was singing lead.

This resurrected thread has prompted me to do two things:

1). Repost that exegesis on the making of the WSH demo as a blog post.

2). Find a picture of EACH incarnation of the LW's and post them as a set. I wonder if I can find a picture of every version.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:23 am

sour29 wrote:One of which is notable for being during the short "lean" Long Winters year in 2004, when the band performed as a solid three-piece (May 22nd , 2004; Fisherman's Cafe in Langenau, GER.), and the other being noteworthy as one of the best sounding recordings to date

Also, Amsterdam is, well, a real, great city with a big beautiful venue, whereas Langenau will probably go down as the smallest german village the LWs have ever played. It's kinda cute though, if you like that sort of thing.

orochics

Postby orochics » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:46 pm

I just noticed the site got a new look. Lookin good!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:42 am

Thanks a lot! Web design is much easier when you just use a good looking WordPress theme.

Return to “Swoon”