Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

John's 2007 Bonnaroo blog

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:45 am

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm posting a reply to myself, but the Manu Chao and Tool entries are must read!! Too many parts that totally need to be quoted so I'm not going to quote any, but read 'em and tell me if you think I have been wasting your time.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:46 pm

That profile pic... definately a Don't-Trust-The-Mustache! mustache.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:34 pm

I know I should've learned my lesson after the Soft Boys reunion, but I really wanted that Police set to be good. Damnit.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:30 am

I really love all those "your opinion on [band x] is SO TOTALLY WRONG and by the way, you are sooo stupid for liking/disliking them."
kindergarten reloaded.
Tool fans are especially fun.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 am

next time I try to win an argument I will try the Fountains of Wayne entry line of logic:
In the interest of full disclosure I should note that their drummer, Brian Young, played on my band’s first record, but to mitigate that fact I can say that I hated the video for “Stacy’s Mom,” making me again an impartial judge.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:22 am

from Paste:
"Fellow Portlander [!] John Roderick from The Long Winters could be seen side-stage, toe-tapping to the mostly Crane Wife cuts that would follow. Roderick joked pre-show, in the press area, that he would run across the stage naked to steal the spotlight…yeah, that never happened."

And apparently there's going to be an audio blog from John

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.spin.com/bonnaroo07/2007/06/070625_johnroderick/
Spin interviewing John at Bonnaroo about his blogging and the new "Peter Jackson meets Peter Gabriel" album

how did the guy keep this white outfit clean on a friggin' festival? o

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:59 pm

OoOoOhh. A two-hour track about fairies and dragons. Colour me excited.

kyle_s9

Postby kyle_s9 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:09 pm

i really enjoyed reading his blog, and opinions on each band, pretty cool.
and now i'm even more excited to see the white stripes for my first time in a week or so.
oh i love the white stripes.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:50 am

I was there, right up front when John "dropped trow" at the Decemberists show at the Showbox. He came out and danced with Jenny during the bridge of "The Chimbley Sweep" and sure enough the pants rebelled. I could tell that it really did offend their delicate sensibilities.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:39 am

www.pastecultureclub.com , latest episode (no. 51)

if someone could post an mp3 (or something) of just the 5min. audioblog, i'd appreciate it...

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:34 pm

4MB clip of just John's blog on what Bonnaroo says about America, taken from the Paste podcast (which by the way is 72 MB but does feature some cool Charlie Louvin (I didn't get any further yet):
http://www.thelongwinterslibrary.com/lw-sounds/paste_culture_club_bonnaroo_blog.mp3

also, MSNBC had a feature on "10 things about live shows that suck" which has a tiny little LW mention about encores.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Tallness has many advantages: chiefly, a guaranteed clear sightline at shows. As irksome as it may be to feel consistently relegated to the back out of regard for more vertically challenged audience members, it’s the right thing to do. Because studying the T-shirt of the 6-foot-5 jerk in front of you during your favorite band’s set sucks more.

This one hits a nerve for me. I'm 6'4" and like most people I like to be close to the stage.

I arrive at shows early and endure all of the shitty bands leading up to the headliner (sometimes three or four deep) typically without moving. If you, the shorter person happened to show up at roughly the same time and ended up behind me, then I'm more than happy to help you out. However, most of the time I look back as the headliner comes on and realize that almost nobody behind me was there five minutes before. They purposely arrived late to miss the opening acts, huddled and pushed to get as close as possible and ended up behind me, the guy who had already been there for two hours. Then they complain that they don't have a good line of sight to the band. Too bad.

Now, if I, the tall guy, arrived five minutes before the headliner and pushed my way in front of you, the short person, then by all means complain away (comma, comma, comma). In fact this often happens to my girlfriend, who is 5'2". Tall people push in front of her all the time (when we happen not to be right up front) and completely obscure her view.

That's also a tough issue for me, because if I go to a show with her (which is typically the case) we feel compelled to stand together. We could either do that at the back of the audience where she won't be able to see or stand at the front of the audience and run the risk that someone behind me won't be able to see. It's a losing situation for me regardless.

Finally, to say that I have a guaranteed clear line of sight to the stage from anywhere in the audience is rarely true; there are always plenty of people as tall if not taller mixed throughout the crowd, obscuring my view (which would then also be more distant). I'll say this, if we could get everyone in the crowd to arrange themselves by height, with shortest up front and tallest in the back, then I would fall in line. Until then, sorry, I will continue to stand at the closest possible and most convenient location when I arrive at the venue.

End rant.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:47 pm

OK, not to disregard your rant or anything, I feel sympathy for you...but 6'4" and 5'2"! OMG how does that work?! WOW!

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:05 am

My brother's wife is also around 5'2" and he's 6'5" so it must be a family thing. There are a lot of the little pda type things that we can't really do like hold hands, have her throw her arm over my shoulder, etc. Otherwise, physiologically it all works about the same. In fact, without going into detail (wink wink), there are even some interesting advantages.

GMM

Postby GMM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 am

I like the fact that the lead singer of one of my favourite bands dislikes my other favourite band.

Also John's blog is tres entertaining generally.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:32 am

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:55 pm

I don't dislike the Hold Steady, I just think they're baloney. It's not even that fine a distinction. You can like something and still think it's baloney, right? The Hold Steady play rock music, and I like rock music, and I even think they play it well. They just remind me of the Beaver Brown Band.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:38 pm

John wrote:You can like something and still think it's baloney, right?

I like baloney, and I know it's baloney.

Return to “Swoon”