john's new weekly blog

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:54 am

Sorry Jenn, I stayed with my parents for a couple of days (dial-up! eek!).

Judging from the comments a few people seem to have a problem with that entry.... aww :)

our female fans eye each other at the merch table like hungry cats around a wounded bird

Heyy I've never done that, just to make that clear (I might tho if someone buys the last small-size t-shirt I want!).
Also, if there's one thing that's worse than horny drunk girls, it's horny drunk guys. yes :)

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 am

i was just hoping i have not been one of the "unblinking" fans. but i'm sure i have been. if not to john then i know i have to others. i can't tell you how many times i have made a fool of myself meeting musicians and just wanted to die afterwards.
i do know i have done the gushing thing. lots and lots of shamless gushing.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:58 am

*raises hand*
My name's Rich, and I'm a gusher, too...

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:39 am

I am not a gusher and that does not surprise most people who know me. Generally I do not even approach the members of the band other than those who might work the merch booth. However, last weekend I did see Dicky Barrett of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones hanging out listening to Dropkick Murphys after the Bosstones played. I shook his hand, said, "Thank you for coming back," and then went on my way. That is about the extent of my gushing.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:08 am

New blog is up, and it discusses a hairy predicament!

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Hey, the sex one just made the front page of reddit!

Mr. Roderick is internet famous!!

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:20 pm

I'm actually getting started on my "NFL Beard"...

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:05 am

grant wrote:Hey, the sex one just made the front page of reddit!

So apparently sex>facial hair. figures.

I have to admit I prefer beards to a 3-day-fuzz which will usually give you the worst whisker rash ever. But some guys just look goofy with facial hair. Like, could you imagine William Shatner with a beard? Yikes.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:56 am

Comments thread here, if you feel up to a rumble. Bear in mind that at least one of the commenters is 17.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 am

Hahaha.

Can you believe he was voted third sexiest musician in Seattle or some such shit? Shave his sideburns and put some makeup and he could be some old lesbian in line at the grocery, no problem. Shit, i should become a musician in seattle just to bump him to four.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:20 am

i like this one....

"Hearing them, I wouldn't expect groupies."

girl, you have no idea....

also, i love the comparison to Buckcherry. apparently unless you are a dirty rock band you have no business having groupies. does this peron not realize that regardless of your music, hell, even how attractive you might ACTUALLY be, if you are a musician you can get laid.

as a side note i want to say that i like both bands in this example. granted i would not say i was a Buckcherry "fan" since i only know and like a very few of their songs.

edit to add: someone eventually does bring up my point in that thread. i love the throwing around of 80's bands tho. i get the feeling that they are a group of people who will just not "get it" regarding tlw. and it's amazing to me how mean some people can get about someone they know nothing about.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:it's amazing to me how mean some people can get about someone they know nothing about.
Isn't that the whole point of the internet? :)

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

sour29 wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:it's amazing to me how mean some people can get about someone they know nothing about.
Isn't that the whole point of the internet? :)

oh yea...i forgot...

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:02 am

It appears that most people commenting on my columns for the Weekly aren't reading them all the way through, or are just reading the highlighted portions excerpted by some other site. Another sad fact of the internet. When I wrote about the contrasts between Portland and Seattle transit it attracted two types of posts: the "Portland rules, fuck you!" type and the "You don't know anything about transit so shut up" type. Both groups took no notice of the fact that I was ultimately praising both things. And that I was being funny besides.

The same is true of this sex article. When I wrote it I imagined it would be a well-received column, with behind the scenes glimpses into rock life, but the response has been either muted or hostile. Partly it proves one of the points I make in the introduction: that people are so invested in the idea that rock stars live in a world of endless sex that they're actually offended by the suggestion that it's more nuanced. I must be a "fag" or "not a closer" or "unattractive" (all three true, coincidentally) otherwise how to explain?

Musicians come up to me all the time now in Seattle and quietly compliment me for talking about their lives. Being acknowledged by my peers this way is unusual, because musicians usually circle the wagons, and it's incredibly gratifying. We live somewhat lonely, isolated lives surrounded by myth and expectation, so that it's even hard for two musicians with similar histories to talk honestly about their real experience. I listen in on all these backstage bragging contests between guys trying to top each other with ribald groupie stories, neither one confidant enough to say "Ha, you know what? That was the worst night of my life."

But then I write a throw-off column like this week's "how to grow a beard" and I get twenty-five emails saying how fun and funny it is, and comments on the website that make it seem like I wrote something profound. My editors at the Weekly also made no reference about the sex article but raved about the beard one. I'm just learning how to be a columnist for a larger audience, and maybe the simple fact is that my jokey "how-to" columns are just better, despite taking one tenth the thought and one eighth the time to write. Hmm.

Adam Duritz takes a lot of shit in that article about dumbing his music down for the lowest common denominator, but the lowest common denominator exerts a powerful, coercive force over anyone whose work is widely disseminated.

One more reason that Neil Young gets the prize.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:41 am

A couple things to know about reddit:

1. The beard one got submitted too, but hasn't gotten the up-votes to hit the front page - so more people are interested in the sex column (quietly).

2. The comments are also ranked, if you look right next to the commenter's name. The ones who seem to "get it" have much higher scores.

2a. I'm not sure the guy was comparing The Long Winters to Buckcherry as much as he was comparing the mechanisms around them - they're much more "rawk", after all, and thus more likely to be participating in the whole groupies-and-blow mythology. They're enacting the posture, as far as I can tell, rather than just, you know, rocking out.

But yes. Neil Young always gets the prize.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:51 pm

i think people are more able to talk openly about an entertaining article. i'd talk about the sex one but i don't wanna get in trouble. see? there's the problem. i could say all kinds of shit about it from personal experience but a)who wants to get that personal on here and b)someone would get really pissed off at me i'm sure. i do know i have seen the "whole groupies-and-blow mythology" in just about every incarnation of the seattle "scene" for the last 15 or so years. regardless of the music it still shows up. the indie music scene is not above it. also, i think i fail to believe that all musicians aren't scoring because i was into all the 80's hair music that lived in excess and the stories are true. and because i still see the excess and watch girls fall over themselves to meet guys in bands to this day. hi, my name is jennifer, i used to do it.
personally i appreciated the article(s) because it makes you guys seem real and unperfect and like maybe your life isn't always a party.
also, the beard thing right now is just out of control. there are guys now who SHOULD NOT have one. yet they do, cuz it's the "in" thing. i think the beard article was just timely is all.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 pm

and now i will comment on the beard article since i just now remembered and had the time to read.

the “tough” runt from the Backstreet Boys is AJ i believe. i did not expect john to actually bother to look up his name but i just thought i'd inform. :)

i can't say i have a beard preference. if it looks good it looks good. my man constantly changes his own facial hair. i like it all.
BUT...i hate the patchy beard look. i feel i must disagree here. it's NOT ok...in my little opinion. but like stretch marks, if you are ok with showing it off, go on with your bad self!

i was glad to see i was not the only one who had no idea what the hell a blunderbuss is. thanks to that person for informing the rest of us who wondered but were too lazy to bother looking it up.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 pm

How could you not know what a blunderbuss was? Didn't you watch Yosemite Sam?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:33 pm

John wrote:I must be a "fag" or "not a closer" or "unattractive" (all three true, coincidentally) otherwise how to explain?

You forgot "your band sucks".

For the record, I have enjoyed each and every article posted. Even the ones that feel exclusive (ie. Portland versus Seattle -- I've never been anywhere remotely near either) at least paint me a portrait of an experience I myself have never been a part of, or make me laugh, or incite my imagination.

I guess I just don't comment too much on them because I think they say pretty much everything I could ever think of saying about 10x better. I read the beard one and said "yup, your dad sounds like my dad," and "man, where was this article when i had to put up with all the beard prejudice for the past ten years of my life?" I read the sex one and thought "yup, I've turned away people I really want to talk to (no euphemism intended) after gigs because I had to help lug amps, wrap cords, pack pedals, etc. etc." ... and then wished I had the problem of groupies throwing themselves at me.

I guess part of the reason I don't run to dissect every paragraph is I also don't want to be the male/internet version of the groupies eyeing each other at the merch table ... although, I guess that's a bit of a moot point, seeing as I run a website dedicated to the band and visit their message board about 25 times a day...

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:50 pm

The sex thread reminded me of a conversation I had at a show, a long time ago...

I'm hanging at a club, waiting for the headliner to come on, and there's this beautiful red-haired girl, standing next to me...
Because I lack self-control, and an opening line, I begin with, "are you here to see (the band I'm here to see)"???

She nods yes, and says "kinda"...
I stare at her with my head tilted to the side, like when your dog is looking at you, and you fart...

"Well, when (the singer) comes to NY, I'm his date"...

Presumptive thoughts abound, I suddenly realize I'm gaping, and envious of anyone in a band...

She giggled through a whimsical sneer, and turned back towards the stage...

Return to “Swoon”