john's new weekly blog

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:17 am

umm no, that was most likely a reference to Chris Caniglia.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:55 am

uh, so where's this week's??? am i missing something or is john a slacker?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm actually surprised he hit as many deadlines as he did.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:43 am

Regarding the 6.16 blog entry:

"All I want to do is to thank you, even though I don't know who you are..."

I loves me a Geggy Tah reference.

I work at a large corporation while thinking and hoping that one day a string of self-made movies will extricate me from this cubicle, but as long as I don't begrudge anyone else from doing the same thing I think it's fine.

It's funny though, I run into a lot of people around the office who have other irons in the fire - writers, jewelry makers, filmmakers, mixed martial artists - and there's always a resignation in their voices about their situation. Like, "At least I have this job to fall back on." It makes me wonder if I'm as hopeless sounding as they are in these conversations. I hope not.

Maybe that's what brings out the "hater" in the people described in this blog entry - like maybe a bit of self-loathing creeps through when you see a little of yourself in someone else.

I enjoyed the part about him talking to "the hippest cat in his section" at the corporate show. Like a big brother grabbing his little brother's arms and hitting him with them while asking, "Why are you hitting yourself?!?", John is a master of taking your own opinions and bludgeoning yourself with them. Some people in this situation realize they're just as foolish as anyone else, and some just get hit with their own fists.

I was there for that visit to the ad agency, and the whole scene filled me with some conflicted feelings.

I perceived John's idealism to contradict this situation he was in; playing "Commander" to a bunch of people trying not to spill the dip they scooped out of hollowed-out cantaloupes on their $200 shirts. Maybe half of them even paid any mind at all. But there was never a moment where I thought, "Why are you doing this?!?", because I knew why. My initial perception was wrong.

The situation didn't change how I feel about John, or Josh, or the band at all. If that performance had turned into a paycheck that keeps this band sustained and touring and comfortable, then that's what I wanted. I trusted that he or Josh would veto a song's usage for some evil purpose.

Mostly, it made me feel sorry for the people there who didn't "get" the music or the man or the story. It also reinforced the idea that no one's life is a perfectly straight line of idealism and occasionally you have to eat a little shit to give yourself a chance at something more. There are no Jimmy Stewarts in indie rock, and this wasn't Mr Smith goes to New York.

There is this sense of nobility in not trying, or roughing it, or whatever but I have a feeling that the truth is, in most people's hearts who have any sort of ambition at all in music or writing or film, is that they'd be thrilled if a lot more people enjoyed what they do and responded to it, and would do anything to make that happen. Even eat out of that vomit bowl.

As long as it looks cool when they do it.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm

"we hate it when our friends become successful"

i really don't care if bands sell their music. and a lot of the time i know it's not them that do it but who owns the rights to it. i usually care what the product is that it's pushing. when i see commercials i'll think "really? for that?"
crap, nowadays bands BECOME successful by being on a commercial. hellooooo..music in the ipod commercials.

i have selfish reasons tho for why i hate it when my friends become successful. i want to keep them all to myself. i hate to share. super deluxe had some recognition and i was met with idiots at shows who knew and loved the one song i hated the most. killed me every time. i have friends now who thanks to the internet have a whole new following of fans. i hardly get to talk to them at shows because they are busy schmoosing up the new fans. their wives/girlfriends would talk about "when they play the big arenas" and i would reply how it just wouldn't be the same. that's all it is. it's just not the same when it no longer feels like your own private party.

leigh

Postby leigh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:08 pm

I wonder if the citation to the Barenaked Ladies is a means to pay homage to Stephen Page's cover of "Honest?"

Also, I'm curious...has John ever encountered an INTERESTED mannequin?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:33 pm

leigh wrote:I wonder if the citation to the Barenaked Ladies is a means to pay homage to Stephen Page's cover of "Honest?"
That's the first thing I thought, too!

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:01 am

The Flaming Lips on the Range Rover commercial didn't upset me...

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm

I wish that TLW would have had a chance to "sell out" for this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGDFJPljXNw

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 am

The way I see it, the LWs don't tell me how to make money, and I don't tell them how to make money. I would be excited to hear a LW song on the TV or something. Good for them.

As good as Lou Bega's Mambo Number Five surely is, I find it hard to accept that it is finer than any Leonard Cohen song, although it certainly charted higher.

Interesting story about that song. In college, there was a girl I had my eye on for a LONG time. Kinda a friend of a friend type thing. We were all out one night, things were going VERY well with her, then, as we were walking to a party from downtown, she started singing this new song called Mambo No. 5. First time I heard it. Hated it because it was, you know, stupid. But she and my friend kept singing it and singing it. She said it was awesome. Lost all romantic interest in that girl, which actually shocked me because it had been there for a while.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm

come on john, talk to haskins... im sure he could get el dubs a TV spot!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:08 am

I will get to the content part of last weeks entry about Seattle in a bit, but can I first state a small 'yay' for John's (current?) facial hair style, which is quite possibly my favourite. Does this style have a name?

As for what John writes, every time I read about these American drinking laws I am so amazed. I guess there is something to be said for trying to keep young people from drinking too much; recently the Dutch language has gained a new phrase: coma drinking, which describes how some teenagers drink so much they end up in hospital with alcohol poisoning. But (and I may have said this before) how can it be that you're deemed responsible enough to vote and drive, but not to drink?

As for John's grief of the elevated light rail tracks, I have to say that over the past years in fact several severe accidents have taken place in Utrecht where cars got into collision with our 'sneltram'. This is a fast tram/streetcar which has separate tracks away from the street but, since it runs at street level, traverses the roads at cross roads. Funny enough accidents with cyclists occur less often, possibly because they can hear the warning bells, whereas car drivers with their radio on don't. One thing's for sure: in such an accident the car gets battered pretty bad, bulky as the tram's carriages are.
The tunnel through Capitol Hill however seems total 'let's pretend we are a huge metropolis' baloney.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:59 am

When I was in Portland last week, just prior to that article coming out, we kept on remarking how the city reminded us of a dirty Disneyland.

Re: trains, they built the low speed South Lake Union Trolley (which they quickly renamed before it was even done) and there were two collisions in the first couple weeks, as I recall. Also locally, we've had 3 or 4 pedestrians killed by trains while talking on cell phones, in the last few months. Tunnel building is expensive, but throw in a few wrongful death suits on top of securing all the right of way needed, and and I'm sure the gap at least narrows.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:35 am

New one up for this week... appropriately, talking about deadlines!

Now, discuss: What are John's favourite songs that were written/recorded at the last possible minute?

I know Hindsight's on that list. Anyone else have any insight?

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:10 am

The songs!!!
The tour!!!
Oh, dear, oh dear, oh dear!!!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Hahah. That's absolutely amazing. I wish I'd thought of it first.

Moni

Postby Moni » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 am

Liesbeth wrote:recently the Dutch language has gained a new phrase: coma drinking, which describes how some teenagers drink so much they end up in hospital with alcohol poisoning. But (and I may have said this before) how can it be that you're deemed responsible enough to vote and drive, but not to drink?

Or carry around guns, for the matter.
That same term (coma drinking) popped up in Austria and Germany some time ago, probably the same time it happened in the Netherlands. The media made huge story out of every case, even tho doctors claimed that kind behavior has existed for a long time already, it's only now that it's come to public attention through the media.
Austrian drinking- and smoking-laws have been handled incredibly carelessly in the past, and amendments are made only very, VERY slowly.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:38 am

We have "binge drinking" in the UK. I am always amazed by my American friends when I'm out there. Everyone (including a graying 45 year old) get carded at the door to the bar. Drinks 15 pints, and then DRIVE home?

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:53 pm

nothing from the peanut gallery about the recent one? really? nothing?!?! he talked about SEX! SEX, people! come on!

leigh

Postby leigh » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:49 pm

i thought it was interesting that he didn't point out that many of his lyrics center on the rush of the possibility of a romance rather than truly sealing the deal, so it seems reasonable to me that his fans may share the same perspective...

Return to “Swoon”