The John Roderick/Barenaked Ladies comparison...

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

The John Roderick/Barenaked Ladies comparison...

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:26 am

.. no longer just exists in John's head. BNL co-frontman Steven Page also performs in a solo effort from time-to-time, appropriately named "The Vanity Project". Well, according to Wikipedia (The source of all things True and Real since 2001), during the Barenaked Ladies annual Ships and Dips Cruise, the Vanity Project opened for the BNL set. I'll copy and paste from there...

The second show was Wednesday January 30 and originally scheduled for the Lido Deck stage, however weather forced a change of venues and the band returned to the Adriatic stage. Steven did a long solo acoustic portion at the beginning of the show and was joined by the band for the remainder of the show. During this second show they played "This Year" again and also a cover of a song by the The Long Winters called "Honest".

If you don't believe me, see here.

I wonder if a recording exists... Barenaked Ladies records all their shows for internet download, but since it's not strictly a BNL show, it's not available for purchase. Hmmm...
Last edited by sour29 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:29 am

I seriously wondering about the legitimacy of this topic until I found this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28077054

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:35 am

This is pretty sweet.

zach

Postby zach » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:11 am

Patr!ck wrote:This is pretty sweet.

Agreed! One more for the Tributarium!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:17 am

Question: Is it always cool and flattering when someone covers one of your songs, or are there artists that make you go, "Uh, dude? You're butchering it..."?

Just to clarify, we should probably make a list. You know, to keep things organized...would it look like this?

Nicely Done:
Nada Surf
Ben Gibbard

???:
Steven Page from Barenaked Ladies

Please Stop:
Ken Stringfellow

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:24 am

Are these your disses I'm feeling?

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:53 am

Flyn wrote:Are these your disses I'm feeling?

Flyn, FTW!

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:33 pm

please dont think im overreacting, screaming, being inapropriate or a bad speller. i protest saying john is like BNL. simply, with out getting in trouble,

JOHNZETTA= MEANINGFUL, INSIGHTFUL, TALENT.

BNL= FAT GUYS EATING CAKE.

STEVEN PAGE- EW HES UGLY
JOHN= NOT BIG AND IS QUITE A LOOKER.

excuse me as i throw up.

*moshes*
*looking up spiders on aol*
*go johnzetta!

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:55 pm

I'm surprised to find that I like it. Like NatureBoy, I find Stringfield's cover the least satisfying 'cuz it seems like he's trying to "make it his own" whereas the other covers seem to just pay tribute awesome songs.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:06 pm

that's a pretty great cover... makes me want to cover it now... it weird how when I first went through the album "Honest" was hands down my lease favorite track. and now it's definitely close to the top.

and let's not forget more crazy connections: Harvey Danger was part of Ships and Dip III... DUN DUN DUN

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:23 pm

As I went to pick up the dog from doggie daycare (that's how we roll in the Pacific NW), I reconsidered my earlier comment and wanted to add that since Stringfield actually recorded his cover, he should definitely "make it his own."

I guess because I don't generally like an artist adding their own touch to an already great song, I've not been a big fan of covers albums. The only two I have played as much as an originals album were by Cat Power and Firewater. Oh, and Johnny Cash too....though less so for the music than for the palpable vulnerability of that album.

I'm wondering what cover albums the LW faithful would recommend?

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:34 pm

The Duran Duran Tribute
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:58 pm

I wasn't able to watch this at work because they block MySpace, so I just now saw the Steven Page version at home.

Personally, I'd put it in the "Nicely Done" category.

If TLW went on a Canadian tour with BNL, it would bring them innumerable new listeners.

The Barenaked Ladies sell out arenas on tour up there, don't they? Who is bigger, them or Sloan??

icapants

Postby icapants » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Flyn wrote:Are these your disses I'm feeling?

Wow Flyn.
Wow.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:32 am

NatureBoy wrote:The Barenaked Ladies sell out arenas on tour up there, don't they? Who is bigger, them or Sloan??
No Contest, sir. The Barenaked Ladies by a huge margin. Sloan have had a number of alternative rock hits, but the nature of BNL music is their hits can be measured on alt. rock stations, top 40, soft rock, etc. etc. Thus, they have a lot more exposure, more sales, and more sold out arenas. Sloan still has a decent sized fanbase, but it would be like something like comparing the Long Winters to Death Cab For Cutie. (I'm not convinced Sloan would sell out an arena if ticket price came with a free steak).

I do agree that BNL fans could probably really get into a live Long Winters show -- not only do they both master great pop sensibility, but the between-song banter are both top notch.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:28 am

language police, did I hear Steven Page sing 'singing right at you' instead of 'to you'?

in my humble opinion: what is the point of doing a cover if you don't make it your own?

and last but not least: 11. The Seventh Stranger by The Wrens ?! for real?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 am

I have to say I'm quite flattered by this cover. Unlike the other covers mentioned we have no personal connection to the BNL, other than me referring to them as less fat than previous incarnations of the LW's. So it feels like a quantum shift for Mr. Page to have discovered our music and learned that song. It's not an easy song, to sing or play. Although I often joke about Toronto, mostly for Sour's benefit, we've been treated quite well there. I also hear rumors that A.C. Newman likes the band, which makes me glad. Viva Canada!

Sally

Postby Sally » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:39 pm

Awww, JohnJohn- we love you tooooo!!!!!!

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:51 am

I'm not a huge fan of BNL's music, but I've heard a lot of it because the stepson used to be (before he discovered hip-hop). And they always struck me as contagiously good-natured, which is a pretty good thing for a band to be. I suppose that's a way of saying I liked their live-show banter and videos more than their songs, but whatever. Good band.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:26 am

John wrote:Although I often joke about Toronto, mostly for Sour's benefit, we've been treated quite well there. I also hear rumors that A.C. Newman likes the band, which makes me glad. Viva Canada!
And you know I love you for it, JR! <3 Don't worry, I'll get you back one of these days...

Return to “Swoon”