TLW: "You are Guaranteed to Be Pleased."

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

TLW: "You are Guaranteed to Be Pleased."

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:46 pm

The Long Winters are now officially on Facebook. Are you on Facebook? Are you a fan of The Long Winters? If the answer is yes, then why not put two-and-two together and make a sandwich? Become a Facebook fan, man!

The benefits? Well, I reckon it will be updated more than The Long Winters dot com. And your friends will all see that you're a fan, and certainly, out of curiosity, will visit the page, listen to a song, and immediately fall in love. Then, you will never have to go to a Long Winters show stag. And that's cool too! So it's really a win-win-win-win-win* situation.

As a extra special incentive to check it out today, there's a bitchin' brand new band bio filled with fun facts (I love alliteration) that's (momentarily) exclusive to the Facebook site. Yay!

*The band wins, and you win, so your friends win, and then you win again, and so does the band. See? Thought I was making all those wins up, didn't you?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm

If you didn't believe the Facebook group would be the best source of news and gossip before, you will now...

New tour date! JR solo show!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Long-Winters/16753229023?ref=ts#/event.php?eid=17873712057&ref=mf

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:35 pm

So wait what's the LW group I was already a part of? Did one of us start that one?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Yes. Groups are generally started by fans. The musician profiles have to be made by (or with the permission of) the band.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Ugh. Another social networking site to join...

Can you repost the info here for people who aren't on FB? (or whose workplaces ban access to those sites, like mine?)

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:00 am

FAcebook, eh? Hmmmm...

Isn't that the thingy that I used to make fun of all the students that worked in our office (before the move to Omaha and into stay-at-home Dadness) for spending all day on?

Not judging, but not sure if I can pull that trigger. I got all I can handle with the rest of the interwebs.

You kids get off my lawn.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 am

So is this going to be streamed, and if so, will anyone be able to record it? Wasn't sure from what i read on the livewireradio.org site.
(please someone say yes. i can really use some cheering up after yesterday's match)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 am

http://www.opb.org/programs/streams/ looks like the place to do it. Normally I'd have it streamed and on HaterHigh within an hour but I'm at my bff's birthday party all weekend. Hopefully someone else will be able to grab it. Good luck, and enjoy the show all!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 am

for those not on facebook, here's the Myspace blog about the show:
[Look out Portland, OR!

John Roderick has been added to the bill for Live Wire this Saturday, June 21st. Live Wire is a variety show for Oregon Public Radio, and tickets are only $15.

John will be performing solo, and promises to debut some brand new, never-before-heard songs rehearsed for the forth coming Long Winters LP.

The show is being held at the Aladdin Theater in Portland, OR. Doors are at 7pm, show to start promptly at 8.

dont'know if I'll be awake at 5am Sunday morning to listen to this... why does the world have time zones?

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 pm

well, sitting here at 7am (which happens to be 9pm Oregon time, apparently, not 10pm as I expected) it turns out Live Wire is recorded and is broadcast the first and last Saturdays of the month from 7-8pm. Or better still, it's also podcast.

Next time I'll do a little research before getting up this early. Now I'm back to bed for a little while.

Any Oregonians get to see the show?

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 am

No posts, no videos, no photos from this show? Where is everyone? (okay not in Portland apparently)

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:37 am

I actually *was* in Portland for the weekend, but got outvoted and ended up at the Roller Derby that particular night.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:41 pm

oi. epic fail!

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:02 am

Did they at least PLAY a LW song, at the derby???

"Hey good girls, do you wanna?
Just say, 'Hey I wanna', just say"...

Seriously, that is the most wonderful story, that went horribly,
but hysterically wrong...

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:59 am

Flyn wrote:I actually *was* in Portland for the weekend, but got outvoted and ended up at the Roller Derby that particular night.

ZOINKS!!!

junker347

Postby junker347 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:08 pm

i would just like to point out that You Are Guaranteed to Be Pleased makes a fantastic album title. or maybe just Guaranteed to Be Pleased to seem less narcissistic (not that theres anything wrong with narcissism).

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:30 pm

i refuse to join facebook! i somehow got sucked into myspace which is ridiculous itself and i refuse to join another thing just like it that replaced friendster. remember friendster? yea you do, but you all quit it for myspace! quitters!
seriously, someone wanna tell me what makes facebook worth joining? while i'm already busy wasting copious amount of time doing nothing on myspace????

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:i refuse to join facebook! i somehow got sucked into myspace which is ridiculous itself and i refuse to join another thing just like it that replaced friendster. remember friendster? yea you do, but you all quit it for myspace! quitters!
seriously, someone wanna tell me what makes facebook worth joining? while i'm already busy wasting copious amount of time doing nothing on myspace????

Firstly, facebook doesn't allow all the obnoxious customization that myspace does. It got to the point that I just quit using myspace because some of my friends had annoying flash/layouts/etc that made pages painful to look at. Facebook is a beautifully simple blue/white layout.

Also, facebook > myspace because:
*Far fewer obnoxious spam "friends"/bands trying to contact you (at least for me)
*The search feature/friend finder seems far superior on facebook and it suggests people you might know based on your friends/networks/etc (it's usually right, I know them. Whether or not I want to be their friend, that's another story).
*More of my friends are on facebook than myspace. Plus it seems a little more "grown up."
*I may be mistaken about this (and please don't burst my bubble if I'm wrong... :), but facebook also seems to restrict your info to your friends only more by default than myspace does and gives you more options about who can see what.

Facebook could improve its notifications for when bands add shows though... I've yet to figure out how to get that info without actually checking the band's page obsessively (I've found out about the new-ish TLW and HD shows via the message boards, despite the fact that I'm a fan of both on the facebook).

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh. And I agree w/ Mr Junker about the album titles. I like the super-narcissistic version best.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 am

Ya, FB is by far the most useful and least annoying of the social networking sites, a fact that...well, bothers me for nonsense reasons, as it's so good I quickly gave up all other networks and became centralized (if FB goes, or decides to hate me, what will I do?!).

To add to new girls list of perks....the FB Marketplace? Easily the best place to find/sell books, tickets, and sublet apartments ever.

While you are adding band pages on FB, add the iLike app. It's amazingly useful at tracking concerts and tours. Add your favorite bands, and it emails you when they announce a tour, and adds the dates in your area to a calendar automagically.

Ah, remember the days when you had to vigilantly collect flyers and keep on top of things? Gone!

Return to “Swoon”