TLW: "You are Guaranteed to Be Pleased."

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:15 am

I hate all of that stuff too, and it's not like I'll be alerted by Ticketmaster of an upcoming LW show...
So I just come here, or I wait for one of my fellow "Dangerists" to tell me...
Last edited by Harvey Winters on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:42 am

Remember all those applications requests you got from your friends on Facebook?

Maybe not....

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 am

Patr!ck wrote:Remember all those applications requests you got from your friends on Facebook?

Maybe not....

since FB is thrice as fast as myspace, it usually only takes a few seconds tu simply turn them down, and after a while, your friends will learn anyway :)

i like this TLW-facebook thing, but i certainly hope that's not what John meant when he was talking they were "working hard on a new website"!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:01 pm

The Long Winters.com is under a well-deserved significant redesign, although those things take time. The nature of the social networking sites is such that the design is already done, and soooo easy to modify. Instead of having to code all the new dates and information, you fill it in a text box (like the one I'm typing in right now) and boom! it's up and available to fans. So, I think the likelihood is that the MySpaces and Facebooks will always be better suited for communication between band and fan, because it eliminates the difficult grunt work.

And I'm making it my personal mission to make you a Facebook convert.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:28 am

Well, if a band site is made with a content management system, updating it is as easy as updating facebook or myspace. Easier than myspace probably, I hate their user interface. Facebook is a lot easier to use than myspace, I find, and the advertisements a bit less annoyingly in the way. Although for weeks some Dutch dogs club ad was popping up all over my Facebook homepage.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:48 pm

My source of scorn for F'book revolves around those bloody gaming and gifting applets. Don't get me wrong, at first when it was just me and Grant and Betty, it was super fun to fight each other's vampires or zombies or whatever. But NOW, I get cocktails and sock monkeys and crackpipes from peeps I only know peripherally. *And every time it's something new, you have to add another applet to accept it. Pretty soon your profile looks like some ten yr old girls' online summercamp scrapbook. Meh.

*(This occurs of course, not because I am popular, but because the default is to send something to EVERYONE in your address book unless you uncheck people)

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:09 pm

I agree with Squid, though I came into the game late enough to see the madness of adding any applications. I might check my barebones facebook about once a week, but consider this my suggestion for any of you to "look me up". There aren't many Flyns, you can probably figure out which one I am; I'm the one with the really Irish name.

Conversely, I kinda appreciate how terrible people can make their myspace page look, I think it tells you something about them. ...Rarely is it good, though.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:55 pm

I hate applications too, and have warned people on my Facebook list that I will un-friend them if they send them to me. There are also browser add-ons that block applications. I have found it much more tolerable since then. But I did quit the site for several months until I realized I wasn't being invited to any of my friends' gatherings because the invites were going out solely on Facebook. LAME!

I do find MySpace the most hideous looking site on the internet once people start modifying their profiles. I'm glad to know I'm not the only design snob...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:19 pm

There might be a reason to go on their Facebook profile today. :O

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:18 pm

I thought it was interesting that they put "Everything is Talking" up for people to hear. Maybe an addition to their live act?...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:22 pm

That song was cool, but pretty weird to hear live.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:07 pm

everything is talking has been on myspace for quite a while - much to my liking. I have the myspace player switched off by default, but I often pick that song while I navigate through myspace.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:36 am

Liesbeth wrote:well, sitting here at 7am (which happens to be 9pm Oregon time, apparently, not 10pm as I expected) it turns out Live Wire is recorded and is broadcast the first and last Saturdays of the month from 7-8pm. Or better still, it's also podcast.

Podcast is up now (haven't listened to it yet tho)

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Moni wrote:
Liesbeth wrote:well, sitting here at 7am (which happens to be 9pm Oregon time, apparently, not 10pm as I expected) it turns out Live Wire is recorded and is broadcast the first and last Saturdays of the month from 7-8pm. Or better still, it's also podcast.

Podcast is up now (haven't listened to it yet tho)

I like the change of key for "Honest".

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:44 pm

I actually found it a bit jarring -- but that's perhaps only because I know the original so well.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:32 am

I think it's related to the whole conversation about singing differently.

Sung in this key, the song might be more suited to his voice when late in shows the throat coat tea starts to wear off.

I like it. It changes the mood of the song in a subtle way. Makes it a bit sadder. With the line this song's lyrics straddle, the sincerely sentimental versus maudlin, I think this key change nudges it more towards the sentimental and makes it a better song.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I agree with Adam, and am a bit bummed all over again that I was watching Roller Derby instead of seeing this.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:20 pm

Shut up, Flyn. Derby was awesome and way better than this bullshit.

edit: always love, hate will get you every time.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:47 am

Would it be possible to download this and edit it down to the relevant bits? (aka Has anyone perhaps done this already?....)

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 am

Oh, I intend to do that for HaterHigh.com ... but I don't want to do it immediately and take traffic away from the original source. But yeah. It will be done. Remind me, because I'm forgetful like that.

Return to “Swoon”