Putting The Days To Bed: a grower?

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm

junker347 wrote:
i wholeheartedly agree on the strangely personal nature of The Worst You Can Do Is Harm... I don't really know why, but whenever I expose people to the long winters its usually not that album (well, maybe Carparts).

i know soooooo many people who were put off buy that cd. they just didn't "get it".

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:33 am

junker347 wrote:I <3 Blanket Hog... my band covered it once in practice and had 2 guitars do the 2 violin parts... it was awesome.
Wait, hold on -- you know how to play Blanket Hog and you haven't submitted a tab to HaterHigh.com? That's just rude... :)

But seriously, it's one of only a small handful of songs I'm missing. If you can help a brother out, I'd give some props.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 am

sour29 wrote:
junker347 wrote:I <3 Blanket Hog... my band covered it once in practice and had 2 guitars do the 2 violin parts... it was awesome.
Wait, hold on -- you know how to play Blanket Hog and you haven't submitted a tab to HaterHigh.com? That's just rude... :)

But seriously, it's one of only a small handful of songs I'm missing. If you can help a brother out, I'd give some props.

Word.

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:00 am

junker347 wrote:I'm jonesin so bad to see them do Give Me a Moment and rock it out live.

You probably already read this and I am not trying to gloat but they played a great version of it at the last Showbox show. Merely pointing out that there is hope for you to hear it someday!

TWYCDIH was much more of a grower for me than either WIPTF or PTDTB. I started with TWYCDIH and enjoyed it but was not sold until I heard WIPTF. After WIPTF came out I went back and listened to TWYCDIH more and more and fell in love with it to the point that it is probably my favorite of the LPs.

The LPs have been progressively "poppier" with PTDTB being the "poppiest". I think that is why it is less of a grower than the others. To go back to what I previously said, "Sky is Open" and "Seven" grew on me relative to the other songs on the album but were still catchy when I first heard them. Meanwhile I have found that "Honest" and "Rich Wife" have declined for me both relative to the other songs on the album and objectively as songs. I guess the point is that all of the songs on PTDTB are "catchy" but only some have staying power or the ability to rise to something more than just "catchy".

I think I am digging myself a deep deep hole here.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:44 am

kaiden i totally agree with you. the last 2 cds were progressively more and more poppy which i think makes them more accessible to a larger audience. thus it makes them easier to "catch on" to.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:49 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:the last 2 cds
Ultimatum gets no love. :(

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:02 pm

in my not-yet-finished ultimate LW compilation, there are 3 songs from the ultimatum ep, thus making it the most successful record in relative terms.

it also features blanket hog (and nora, but to me that goes without saying)

I guess the point is that all of the songs on PTDTB are "catchy" but only some have staying power or the ability to rise to something more than just "catchy".

I think I am digging myself a deep deep hole here.

I can see what you are saying - I never thought that some of those PTDTB songs that I loved so much at first could lose any of their power, but somehow they did.

On recording anyway, but I must say that for a live set, I most likely would still jump up at the first notes of Fire Island and declare it the best LW song ever. However, half the songs at a LW show I will declare the best LW song ever in the spur of the moment. God, has it really been 18 months since I last saw them?

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:kaiden i totally agree with you. the last 2 cds were progressively more and more poppy which i think makes them more accessible to a larger audience. thus it makes them easier to "catch on" to.

I'm sorry if I read the inflection of your post wrong, but it almost sounds like you just backhandedly called TLW "sellouts"...

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 pm

sour29 wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:the last 2 cds
Ultimatum gets no love. :(

I purposely said LPs (and I am sure that is what Brutaful meant too) in my post just because the Ultimatum EP is so different from the LPs that it is hard to place it amongst them. However, it is arguably the best they have put out with four great original songs, two great live tracks (one of which was technically an original song too) and no songs of which I have grown tired.

Harvey Winters wrote:I'm sorry if I read the inflection of your post wrong, but it almost sounds like you just backhandedly called TLW "sellouts"...

That is not quite what I meant and I do no think it is what Brutaful meant either. The point was about poppiness relative to the album before it not relative to the mainstream. Consider that currently the poppiness of each album is growing linearly. At that method of growth it will be about six or seven albums until they become the Jonas Brothers. However, if the poppiness begins to grow exponentially than we can expect it to hit Jonas Brothers' levels in only two records. Hope for linear growth! :P

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Harvey Winters wrote:I'm sorry if I read the inflection of your post wrong, but it almost sounds like you just backhandedly called TLW "sellouts"...

yep, they totally are.

jk :)

actually i did not mean it that way at all. i meant it exactly as it was said (typed). i don't think TLW went in any direction on purpose to cater to the masses. then again, i could be totally wrong, but i don't think so.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 pm

A Brutaful Smile wrote:i don't think TLW went in any direction on purpose to cater to the masses. then again, i could be totally wrong.

If you are wrong, then I can't wait to hear TLW's "Mmm-Bop"...

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:20 am

teaspoon is such an obvious nod to the stirring crowds out there

leigh

Postby leigh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Moni wrote:
A Brutaful Smile wrote:
Ah why does no one (well hardly anyone) like Blanket Hog? :(

I do! I've even described it as one of the greatest love songs...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 pm

leigh wrote:I do! I've even described it as one of the greatest love songs...
Really? That's not the impression I take away from the song at all...

leigh

Postby leigh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 pm

sour29 wrote:
leigh wrote:I do! I've even described it as one of the greatest love songs...
Really? That's not the impression I take away from the song at all...

Well, certainly not a "falling in love" song but to me it speaks to a permanent feeling of love that can endure after a relationship. Unlike other such love songs, I get the sense that it's not about longing for someone or agonizing over what didn't work as much as a glimpse into a moment of intimacy that feels lasting.

Return to “Swoon”