Putting The Days To Bed: a grower?

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Putting The Days To Bed: a grower?

Postby sour29 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Mike Seely of Seattle Weekly thinks so. He wrote a short articlette entitled "A 2006 Album That's Way Better Than I Thought It Was When It First Came Out" dedicated to the disc. Mostly he complains that The Commander Thinks Aloud was left off the disc (really?! Doesn't that just add validity to the Ultimatum EP? ... besides, some version or another of Commander was released on 1 in every 4 compilations released in the last three years), but I think his argument remains valid. I remember posting first impressions here, out and out stating that I didn't like Rich Wife and couldn't stand Departure. Now, as I find myself listening to Rich Wife tonight, I realize that I love the song... and I've always enjoyed Departure live (and am coming around the the album version), leaving me with absolutely no throwaway tracks... none I could do without! Does anyone else feel that time has warmed their initial cool(er) reactions to the disc?

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:34 am

I think I might be outing myself a bit here but PTDTB was not an overall grower for me. Some songs have grown on me but some songs have actually died off for me. "Rich Wife" and "Honest" are the most notable examples of songs to which I now have a hard time listening. "Sky is Open" and "Seven" are prime examples of songs that have grown on me. Sadly, I cannot say that the whole album is that way though.

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:37 am

grower for me too.. i mean, well, i loved the album when it came out in its entirety, but rich wife did take a while for me to say i really like it.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 am

kaiden wrote:"Sky is Open" and "Seven" are prime examples of songs that have grown on me. Sadly, I cannot say that the whole album is that way though.

Interesting how that works; these two songs were the first two that actually stuck out on my first couple of spins.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 am

I remember back in August of 2006 when my friend Ryan said "I found out about this band, The Long Winters. I heard some of their stuff and immediately went out and bought their discography." He didn't have the Ultimatum EP, but it was close enough. He gave me all those songs.

I went home and randomly played a track, it happened to be Hindsight. I was put off by the vocals at first, but I listened to it anyway. I found myself quoting a bunch of those lyrics at work with Ryan, and the album grew on me. I listened to that album exclusively for a while. Later I found how good WIPTF is, and much much later that TWYCDIH is also brilliant. Back to the album in question.

That album grew on me a bunch. Thanks to the Tabs thread, and later Haterhigh.com I learned almost the whole album on guitar. Most of those songs have some significance to me, and I still believe the album to be as well blended as I did two weeks after I heard it. The songs just don't go bad.

galleta

Postby galleta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm

I've heard this twice coming from two completely different people -one a journalist from Spain and another one a music biz guy from Denmark.
The last one commented that to me barely a couple of weeks ago, so it's quite recent and even more interesting just because of that.

Truth be told, I experienced that myself - feeling awkward at first, changing the order of the tracklist in my ipod, re-making the album my own way so as to feel more comfortable with it and finally letting it go. It's grown so as to the point that my favorite winters songs, the ones I listen to more often, are on this record. It also happens with this record that i have a picture in my mind of a line... some kind of graphic p&l line where the songs gain prominence and raise up up up in the love chart in detriment of the ones i've loved some time before. They alternate themselves over the months, the highest peak of spring could be 'honest' but, suddenly 'clouds' speaks to you more clearly and replaces it... This is a very graphic experience. I mean it as such, as a line that goes all the way up and down, it happens with other records too, not many though, strange records, the ones you're not too sure of until you're used to them. Like Badly Drawn Boy, José González, Le Mans... long-distance runners.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:28 am

I love the guitars on Rich Wife, and Departure...

It reminds me of the old days of Arena Rock...

leigh

Postby leigh » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:47 pm

I distinctly remember hoping "Rich Wife" was a cover --and not a new LW song-- when I first heard it (live). But, yeah, it grew on me. Still, PTDTB is the album I listen to least...

pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Postby pas de nom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:08 pm

It is kind of interesting, because PTDTB is actually the only album that I really didn't need growing time for me.
The first album I bought was WIPTF, which I bought after hearing "Blue Diamonds" on the radio. That album took some growing, but once I was addicted to that, I went out and bought TWYCDIH, which again took some growing, but once TWYCDIH sinks in you truely begin to understand the genious of Mr. Roderick's lyrics.
The only thing that took some time to get use to on PTDTB was the new version of "Departure."
But I always find it interesting to see which songs catch people. I loved "Rich Wife" from the start. I always find it interesting when I play a new song to someone, because you really don't know what they are hearing, as the song has transformed in your ears after repetition.

And Patr!ck, I know what you mean about quoting TLW, the lyrics are just brilliant. I painted "Your new math is treason" on a t-shirt.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 am

it never ceases to amaze me how many different LW songs are favourites or non-favourites to people. Yesterday I finally made an attempt to list my 'essential LW compilation', and although the process is far from complete, I was surprised to find that I had an almost equal number of songs from each record.

As a unity however, Harm remains unsurpassed to me, with PTDTB definitely coming last. I cannot help but feel it's more of a collection of songs than an album - quite likely partly because I already heard some of the songs in live radio versions (and played them obsessively, I admit). Also, it's the only album that has songs on it that I like less now than I did before. Most notable is Fire Island, where I've lost the original feeling the lyrics gave me because of what I"ve read about it and seeing the video.

I think with the next album I should not read a thing about it, and hold off listening to any songs of it until the album is out. If I can muster up the necessary strength.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 am

Funny, Rich Wife is ther song that's grown on me the most, too.

Overall, my feeling upon the first hearing was a bit "meh" (I have to admit tho I wasn't listening very attentively; I think Liesbeth and I were discussing good band names/bad band names, or something), and then it grew considerably after 4-5 more listens. I cannot really say whethere I like it better than Harm or not, those two albums are just way too different to compare. WIPTF is certainly my favorite tho.
Lately I've developed an almost unhealthy obsession with "Teaspoon", especially the rhythm section. And I'm still crazy about "Clouds" and "Sky Is Open". "Fire Island" lost a little bit (very little) for me, but then, that song just kicked my ass when I first heard it.

Oh and in a German music magazine John mentioned in an interview how after Fall was released, people told him how much they liked the album but how it also took them a while to "get it", and once PTDTB came out, people went "your last album was really accessible, but that new one really took a while to grow on me". That was right after PTDTB came out in Europe (fall 2006). q.e.d.!

EDIT:
I already heard some of the songs in live radio versions (and played them obsessively, I admit)

Just imagine what Adam and Jace must have been through then, after having observed and listened to so much of the recording process while making the documentary :)

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:03 am

It's funny... new albums from groups I really like many times need a "breaking in" period for me, but not PTDTB. I loved it from the first spin, and continue to have strong feelings for it.

With that said, I'm sure all y'all will LOVE the next album from the get go, while I will have a case of the "mehs". Then you will all yell at me and throw rocks in my general direction. But lucky for me, none of you live close by, so all those rocks will fall well short.

But seriously, make sure nobody else gets hit by those rocks. A stray rock to the noggin can really mess up your day. In all honesty, you probably shouldn't be throwing rocks at all, unless you are totally sure that it will hit the intended target and that target deserves a good rockin'.

Rock on.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:12 am

@ Moni:

You're the only other person I've (heard? read?) say they really like Sky is Open. I liked the song quite a bit when I heard it on the album, but when I saw John play the alternate opening (Bm.... A A A.... G.... BEND! Wah wah wah) I learned that shit on guitar so fast I've never learned that fast in my life. Such a sweet, rocking song!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 am

I thought I said that too, about ten posts up... :)

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:39 pm

I have said it elsewhere but like I said in this thread it had to grow on me. The first time I realized how much I liked it was when they played it at Wulapalooza last year.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Well sor-ry guys.

Mike McCusker

Postby Mike McCusker » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 am

I think PTDTB is definitely the best. It struck me straight away. Played it yesterday (and WIPTF) I think the best two songs has written are on WIPTF but PTDTB is the best overall album IMHO.

TTFN

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 pm

it's been so long i can hardly remember now. their like friends i've had for so long that it seems as if they've always been there.

TWYCDIH was very personal to me so i took to it right away. i have a closeness with that cd that i don't with the other ones. the others are more the fun ones that i party with where TWYCDIH is the one i pull close for heart to heart talks.

WIPTF i knew so many of the songs before the CD actually came out that i had already taken to it. i had a jump start for most of the songs. i do remember blue diamonds did have to grow on me. i was very "huh?" about it but once it grew on me i loved it.
blanket hog and slow nora are still not favorites of mine even after all the listens.

PTDTB didn't need much of a wam up for me. i took to it right away. i thought it was a lot like the previous cd but with less ballads. there was a long period of time i kind of forgot about it tho. recently i have been listening to it quite a bit. it's hard to choose favorites but lately the ones i have taken to most are hindsight and rich wife (because i shoulda been a).

(the EP?...i'm pretty sure i still have never listened to it to this day altho i have owned it for years)

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:07 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
blanket hog and slow nora are still not favorites of mine even after all the listens.

Ah why does no one (well hardly anyone) like Blanket Hog? :(

junker347

Postby junker347 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:44 pm

I <3 Blanket Hog... my band covered it once in practice and had 2 guitars do the 2 violin parts... it was awesome.

i wholeheartedly agree on the strangely personal nature of The Worst You Can Do Is Harm... I don't really know why, but whenever I expose people to the long winters its usually not that album (well, maybe Carparts). I'm jonesin so bad to see them do Give Me a Moment and rock it out live. I actually really like playing it solo acoustic too, easy and sounds great.

Return to “Swoon”