Twitter.

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Twitter.

Postby sour29 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:33 am

John has joined the masses, and signed up for a Twitter account. Take a peek inside the mind of a mad man! Harley's, Crips, Cigarettes and Real Estate!

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:47 am

I used to say that twitter was something I'd never use, but I am this close to giving in. Halp.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:38 am

I signed up, went through a bunch of people's twitter accounts, and found what I already figured: keeping it up for a few days is easier than sticking to it. On the upside, I do now finally understand the need for tiny URL.

Granted, some people are genuinely funny in the short form, so I guess perhaps I will check in once a week to check out the cool stuff. If anyone has any suggestions for good twitterers...

icapants

Postby icapants » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:46 am

Well, obviously Merlin's twitter is pretty hillarious.

Everyone else I follow is all nerdy and boring. =/

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:49 am

Liesbeth wrote:I signed up

Well i guess if our board-mom got one of those, I have to get one too. And one of my friends keeps telling me that I couldn't possibly survive another minute without using this anyway. Ah well.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:19 pm

"twitter" makes me think of "titter"
which makes me think "hehe, titter"
which makes me think this.

Liesbeth

Re: Twitter.

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:03 pm

hehe, that made me laugh

@moni: i'm not anyone's mom, and i'm not sure i'm suited for twitter. i mean, i've been thinking for days what my first twitter post should be and that seems very untwitter.

without it though, i would not have learned about the phenomenon of GORP. Now i'm wondering if John has a specific GORP recipe, especially after his cashew nut twitter. I'm also wondering what he now uses to clean his glasses with, after his GORP jar catastrophe. And I have an image of him planting bamboo, one of the fastest growing plants on earth, to find he needs a machete to enter his house coming back from tour. All of which I'm too shy to twitter at him, since I didn't think of this within an hour after his twittering....

freakin' hell, did i just use the phrase 'to twitter at someone'?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:11 pm

The impression I'm getting from reading other people's Tweets, (for that seems to be the accepted term), is that people think about them for hours. It's the illusion of spontaneity that counts in this world. After all, no one can tell how long it's been since you logged on.

I'm enjoying Twittering. It's like bantering from the stage.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:54 am

Just try not to use up your best material and I'm cool with it.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:02 am

The impression I'm getting from reading other people's Tweets, (for that seems to be the accepted term), is that people think about them for hours

Which of course begs the questions how long does it take you to come up with something? :)

My first impression was that people think less than a few seconds about what to twitter before they post the next random thing that comes to mind. Like "On my way home". You mean, like 1 billion other people right now? You don't say.
I know I have added my share of completely bland, irrelevant crap to the internet, but seeing so many people twittering strains of things like "on my way to work." "at work. bored." "listening to Neil Young's On the Beach right now. Such a great record." "my boss just came by." "on my way home." "going to bed early" really makes you wonder.... whyyyyyyy?? Aaaaah.
On the other hand it's amazing how people can keep up the pace of one to two dozen twitters a day, for months. I wouldn't have the stamina to do that.
On to another random fact, I think the german equivalent to GORP is Studentenfutter. It's got no M&Ms in it though.

Everyone else I follow is all nerdy and boring.

Nerdy and boring? Un-possible (or, speaking nerdily, an oxymoron)!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 am

aw come on! don't make me join another thing! i finally got the hang of facebook after caving into the peer pressure. (actually it was the man, he wanted to be able to have that little link that says "is engaged to") but i think i get out of this one? i don't own any mobile devices unless i haul my laptop around. which i don't. besides around my house that is.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:57 am

aw come on! don't make me join another thing!

Well, John posts many of his tweets on Facebook also. Besides, you don't have to join Twitter, you can read his tweets if you just go to his twitter page.

John wrote:The impression I'm getting from reading other people's Tweets, is that people think about them for hours. It's the illusion of spontaneity that counts in this world.

You may be right, or at least for those tweets that go beyond 'scratched my nose'. At least it gave me an idea for my first tweet so I"m off the mark.

sour29 wrote:
John wrote:I'm enjoying Twittering. It's like bantering from the stage.
Just try not to use up your best material and I'm cool with it.

I think it might be beneficial, keeping John's banter glands from going rusty in the down-time between tours. As long as it doesn't dry up his creativity for lyrics..

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 am

I'm not really getting the hang of this myself. Whenever I write something, a few minutes/hours later I think What the hell, that was just retarded, and delete what I just wrote.

In the meantime, John's apparently liveblogging from the bank robbery around the corner. Nice job!

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:49 am

im hotpantsmcleod on twitter. does this mean john is running from the law? power puff girls to the rescue!

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:53 pm

im trying to get people to say schiznit. like long winters fans, were the schiznit!

daniel radcliffe thought of schiznit, btw.

dang nabbit, i dropped too many names!

i posted the proposition on twitter.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:50 pm

As for John's The Wire-related Twitter.... I felt your pain on Stringer, and it only gets better from there on out.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:25 pm

that's what that was about?!?!? i don't watch that show so i had no idea!

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Stringer Bell comes back... to The Office. Trust me Michael... don't mess with the new boss.

Liesbeth

Long haired freaky people need not apply

Postby Liesbeth » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 pm

ImageJohn posted a link on Twitter a while ago to the website of the artist who designed his Twitter picture, Bambi Edlund, a graphic designer and illustrator in Vancouver, B.C.

Tonight I got round to browsing that site, which is highly recommended, when my eye fell on one particular entry: Long haired freaky people need not apply.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:11 am

Haha! I saw that! There's at least three JR pictures on the site. That girl has talent!

Return to “Swoon”