More News About Nabil

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

More News About Nabil

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:25 pm

The Long Winters' drummer Nabil Ayers was named one of Seattle's 50 most influential musicians ever in the Seattle Magazine. I don't think the article is online, but this is the bit about Nabil:

Hannah Levin from Seattle Magazine wrote wrote:He pummeled kitchen pots and pans until a sympathetic uncle bought him his first proper drum kit when he was still just two. He's never stopped playing. "I've been in a band every day of my life since the third grade," says Ayers. The bespectacled, mutton-chopped, self-confessed "metalhead" became drummer for the popular and more pastoral hometown group The Long Winters in 2005--and pushed the pop band into broader rock territory. But he made louder noises offstage. During his senior year at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, he secured an internship with Polygram Group Distribution (which represented, among others, Bon Jovi and PJ Harvey). He co-founded the thriving local Sonic Boom Records (now in Ballard and Capitol Hill) with Jason Hughes in 1997, and in 2002 began running his own label, the Control Group, whose roster includes Northwest indie success stories like Schoolyard Heroes, The Cops, The Lonely H, as well as more prominent global acts El Perro del Mar and Telepathique. A newlywed who recently relocated to New York City, Ayers focuses less now on the day-to-day operations of his record store in order to further cultivate his label. He remains impressively upbeat in a notoriously fickle and soul-sucking industry. "I am not very close to the 'it's-all-falling-apart' belly of the beast," he says. "If I had a job at a major label, I would probably have changed careers years ago."

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: More News About Nabil

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:44 am

first drumkit at 2? wow!

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 am

Claire got a drum for her first birthday. Maybe one day she will have mutton chops.

zach

Postby zach » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks, Unremarkable. That's fun. Who else made the list?

Return to “Swoon”