The Official Live at the Showbox DVD thread

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

junker347

Re: The Official Live at the Showbox DVD thread

Postby junker347 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Finally got it for my birthday, woop!
It was quite spectacular, though I am genuinely curious why Pushover and Hindsight were cut (or heck, anything cut in general. at 1:21, it seems a bit short to me [though I am well aware that every minute is a lot for those involved in actually putting it together--you guys rock!]) I'm sure the commentary will be great and plan on watching in another few weeks when the whole set isnt so vivid in my memory.

Also: "Fresh" Emotion???

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the songs were cut to minimize the amount of audio or video compression that would necessitate if fit onto a single disc. Quality over quantity!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 am

Bear in mind, also--and I'm saying this only to you loyal boardies who stick with us through thick and thin--that musicians are a fickle and over-sensitive lot, and that sometimes certain versions of certain songs just don't measure up to our standard of quality. Maybe we played it perfectly the night before, but something subtle went haywire the next night and the song was a clunker. Pushover has some fairly stacked vocal harmonies that we judge ourselves pretty harshly on if we get wrong, and Hindsight is a very *mood* dependent song that we either nail or don't.

These are usually small differences that almost no one would notice, and Adam was very encouraging about every song, but when it came to putting a DVD out, we definitely didn't want stuff on there that sounded sub-par. This explains why the banter is mostly expunged. I'd been on a total banter roll for months, just talking up a blue streak between songs everywhere we went, but when we hit the stage at the Showbox in our home town, my banter turned to confused and garbled nonsense. I mumbled like a doped ox. And watching it on the playback I squirmed, not just because it was stupid and terrible, but because the night before in Portland I thought I'd chatted comfortably and amiably with the crowd, just as I had every night for the proceeding three months. So I asked Adam to cut it out. Good banter, believe me, I would have left in. But bad banter is worse than no banter.

Adam did a great job. You know this is his first release? It's amazing, and John Goodmanson also did superb work. Both of them had the good graces to run their stuff by the band, and both were nice enough to cut out stuff when we asked them to. Hopefully we'll make more concert films in the future.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm

that is a totally sensible answer. my wondering is appeased, thank you!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:25 am

THE DVD IS NEARLY SOLD OUT!!!!

how cool is that!
unless you don't have it yet, in which case you want to move fast

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:18 pm

So who's helping me transcribe the commentary?

orochics

Postby orochics » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I must say, I finally got around to watching this DVD with the commentary. Good stuff!

Return to “Swoon”