How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musician

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

kaiden

Re: How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musician

Postby kaiden » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 am

Fuck. That sounds like it would have been both a fun time and actually really informative. Stupid snow.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:04 am

nope, i always envisioned cinnamon as a man laying cracked out in a hospital yelling about how this woman was like cinnamon. i had more of a crazy guy vibe to the song.

Patr!ck

Postby Patr!ck » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:21 am

Seeing how I live in Detroit, I'd pay about a hundred to see this.

pahouk

Re: How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musi

Postby pahouk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:11 am

It appears John will be teaching this class again next year : http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/141599. It was a great deal of fun last year. Plus, since it's in August you won't have to worry about the snow. (Last year I think we had a significant number of no-shows because of the weather.)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Here's a nice write up and a video from class last night: http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/blog ... 26-seattle. He changed the class from the last time I went so it was less about him lecturing and more about doing some writing exercises. There's a reason I'm an engineer and not a writer but it was interesting to hear about some of the things John does to take personal, specific situations and switches them around so they become something more universal that others can relate to.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 am

Things like what?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 pm

grant wrote:Things like what?

One of the exercises we did was to write a few lines about some situation, then switch around the pronouns. It was sort of a way of forcing you to look at something from a different perspective. It's also a way to help put enough distance between you and the actual story so that it's easier to rework it to something that would be more universally interesting, rather than something that's specific to you. He talked about sometimes he'll write pages of material for a song but in the end will only use a line or two. He also talked about needing to let go of song once you've written it and letting the listener take some ownership of it. I know there was a lot more. I did actually take some notes but mostly they were off topic questions I wanted to ask but would've derailed the discussion so I didn't. Maybe some day.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:54 am

Sounds like great advice. (Stephen King has a similar exercise in On Writing - switching the genders of protagonist/antagonist in a specific situation, seeing how that affects the scene.) I wonder how one grants ownership to a listener.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Odd coincidence: http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... guage-code Scientific American just ran a story on the secrets that your pronoun use reveals.

Return to “Swoon”