How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musician

Postby leigh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 am

zach

Re: How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musician

Postby zach » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh! It's an event!
Tuesday, February 10 - 7PM
$30.00

John Roderick will explain every single aspect of being a singer/songwriter and recording artist, including, but not limited to:

How to be a musician when you're not that good of a musician.
How to keep writing when everything you write is boring and terrible.
How to completely rewrite songs you thought were finished.
How to maintain some semblance of dignity in a shameful world.
How to find the coconut of an idea in a sea of cliches.
How to, when all else fails, become a colorful personality.

Topics NOT included include:

How to get your demo to Barsuk Records.
How to find a manager.
How to get a major-label recording contract.
How to write a radio hit.

$30 is a bit steep for me, but this looks to be a gem.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Sounds like a classic night. I agree it's steep, but sounds like a lot of fun.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:32 pm

if i pay $30 he better entertain me dammit! actually i'm wondering if someone like me, who has no desire to ever write a song, wound up going, would i be taking away from someone who was there to possibly learn something? or can i just go to listen to john speak soothingly for however long? btw...i wouldn't really go, for $30 i want some singing and guitar playing to happen. and maybe a little skin.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:58 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote: and maybe a little skin.

I'd say you got a 50-50 shot. He may teach from the tub.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:23 am

No You Are wrote:I'd say you got a 50-50 shot. He may teach from the tub.

Now THAT would be awesome.

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:53 am

A Brutaful Smile wrote:if i pay $30 he better entertain me dammit! actually i'm wondering if someone like me, who has no desire to ever write a song, wound up going, would i be taking away from someone who was there to possibly learn something? or can i just go to listen to john speak soothingly for however long? btw...i wouldn't really go, for $30 i want some singing and guitar playing to happen. and maybe a little skin.

I've also thought that I might take a spot away from someone who really wanted to get some tips...my main motivation to go would be for the entertainment and for 100% of that $30 to go towards 826 Seattle. I think I'm gonna get a ticket but if the event sells out, offer it on Craigslist to someone who is looking for more than entertainment...

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Did anybody click the link on his name to the bio??? lol

John Roderick
John Roderick labored in local semi-obscurity for ten years in a succession of good bands that went nowhere. Undaunted, he kept playing music until he rose to the level of national, and then international semi-obscurity. As frontman of The Long Winters he has done almost everything you can do in rock music, short of becoming rich and famous. He's currently working on a new record.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I've never understood the whole, "For $XX, they better _______!" mentality before making a ticket purchase.

To go into something primed with that kind of attitude seems to me to be a setup for disappointment. It's up to the performer to determine what you get. You're just paying for the chance to see something special, but it's never a guarantee, and the value of that experience is highly subjective.

Maybe that's just me and my generally low expectations though.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:53 pm

geeeeeez adam, way to get all serious. i was just joking. my attempt at sarcastic humor that i'm so well known for. ;p

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 am

Eerily, the whole tub thing is now stuck in my head. How big are the chances that the band will take a tub on tour with them, as a stage prop? It could be a sort of indie rock equivalent of the heavy metal blow-up doll.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 am

i know right?!?!? now all i can picture is john laying in a tub with a trucker hat on telling the folks how to write music. it's hilarious!

Kasper

Postby Kasper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Liesbeth wrote:Eerily, the whole tub thing is now stuck in my head. How big are the chances that the band will take a tub on tour with them, as a stage prop? It could be a sort of indie rock equivalent of the heavy metal blow-up doll.

All i'm saying is splashy, foamy tub solos.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:04 pm

This conversation seems to be going in a direction that the board rarely goes...

hotavocados

I have an extra ticket for this!

Postby hotavocados » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:59 am

If anyone's into it, I have an extra ticket for tonight (pickup in Capitol Hill after 6p).

email: victoria [at] hot avocados [dot] com

Yay!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I would totally go if I didn't live on the opposite coast. But I'd love to hear all about it tomorrow? Hopefully you'll stop by with a report of some sort. :)

kaiden

Postby kaiden » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Wow, that is tonight already, huh? If it were not snowing really hard and sticking to the roads here then I might have considered coming up for it.

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 pm

yeah, thanks to the freaking snow, my ticket and myself spent the night at home...

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:17 pm

I had hoped someone else would review this because I didn't take any notes and there was quite a bit of discussion. Here's a few random things I remember:

John talked a lot about he deliberately tries to make his songs not be conventional, like adding a pre-chorus before the chorus that you weren't expecting. The song may start conventional but in the studio he deconstructs and reconstructs the song. He also talked about trying to have the chords and melody cycle with different frequencies to add interest. He actively tries to avoid cliches in his writing. In response to a question he replied that "flying high in the sky" was probably his most hated cliche and that's why he can't listen to Lenny Kravitz.

The music for the new album has been recorded. John's now working on the trying to write lyrics to fit the music. Since this isn't how he usually works he's struggling.

I talked to him a little afterwards. I once read somewhere that he doesn't listen to music very much and I asked him about that. He explained that when he listens to music he really just sits and listens to music. He doesn't really have it on in the background. Mostly he knows music by going to see bands live. I was a little surprised about how analytically he approached song structure so I asked him if he tends to analyze other people's songs when he listens to them. He admitted that he does do that. I described it as a side effect of being a songwriter.

This may have already been discussed somewhere on the board but I had never heard the story about the song Cinnamon. When he wrote the song he envisioned two lovers in the 70's, involved with the Red Brigade. The man is captured by the Stasi (spelling?) and the woman gets away. Under interrogation about the woman all he'll say is "her skin is cinnamon". He talked about telling people this story and getting blank looks because they were sure they knew what the song was about and that wasn't what they were expecting.

Afterwards John mentioned that he's been asked to sit on one of the panels at the Pop Music Conference that EMP runs in April. I'll be curious to see what the topic is.

The talk was filmed so maybe some of it will end up in the documentary. Laura Musselman took some photos that I saw are up in Flickr.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:23 am

pahouk wrote:When he wrote the song he envisioned two lovers in the 70's, involved with the Red Brigade. The man is captured by the Stasi (spelling?) and the woman gets away. Under interrogation about the woman all he'll say is "her skin is cinnamon".

And now that song's even more awesome than ever for me.

And here's another report!

Return to “Swoon”