"Maybe it’s time to release a solo album"

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

"Maybe it’s time to release a solo album"

Postby Moni » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:10 am

Interview from Spain

(By the way, I remember reading this on the weeknd, but I now realized it was posted with today's date, and, according to google, only 4 hours ago. Does my headache make me hallucinate or did Spain move into some entirely different time zone or what the...?)

I have read that you are in the studio right now. How is the new The Long Winters album going and when are you planning to realease it?
"We started a new recording over the summer of 2008 with producer John Goodmanson. Then my [I believe that should be: J. Godmanson's wife?] wife had a baby, and shortly thereafter two of the Long Winters, Nabil and Jonathan, moved to New York City, so Eric and I were left to finish it on our own. We built a little studio in the basement and have been working on the recording sporadically ever since. It is hard to say when it will be ready for release, but we hope to have it out by the end of 2009."

By the end of 2009... that reminded me of a topic at the Harvey Danger board called "what has HD taught you"; if there was a similar thread for TLW here, my answer would be "patience... lots and lots of patience..." (Arrgh! :)

"Here on the Northwest Coast people are very polite, and they often will not say what is on their mind if something is bothering them. It is not like Spain, more like Denmark. So people get very upset over small things because their energy is very pent-up. I do not have this personality and I think people are crazy to bottle up their feelings this way, so people in my part of the country sometimes think I am rude or inconsiderate. I try to make a joke out of it, but the reputation takes on a life of its own. Belive me, in Spain I would be considered very polite."

I have to say that attitude of American people to almost always hold back their real feelings towards one another was something I found very hard to handle when I lived in the US. I am not saying you should be rude to someone you don't like, but I felt like I could never trust people when they were being nice to me, because for all I knew they maybe couldn't stand me and were just being "polite."
That said, I don't know if John would be considered a polite person in Spain, but he's certainly more polite than 94% of the people living in Vienna (incl. me). Granted, being nicer than the majority of the Viennese is not so hard, but still :)
And ooh yes does that make me sound like the worst suck-up ever or what!

junker347

Re: "Maybe it’s time to release a solo album"

Postby junker347 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:22 pm

really nice article, thanks for sharing!! those spain shows (well, projecting the experience from the one i went to anyway) were a blast.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 am

Why would Barsuk be pushing John for a solo record? Isn't The Long Winters essentially John solo, with the help of whomever can stand being around him at the time of recording? ;P

Seriously, I kid.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 am

I read 'solo album' as just the guy and his guitar. Matching the music to the hair and beard, so to speak.

I would buy it.

Perhaps he can play in someone's living room (mine, preferably), record it, and release it to tide us over to the new album. I mean, now it's 'End of the year', throw in a few extra months and the Vancouver Winter Olympics might be on before the new LW album is out. To name just a few landmark events on my calendar...

Kasper

Postby Kasper » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Funny, i've often thought of how us danes (northern folks like seattle-ites i suppose) tend to be really careful about not offending anyone. It's sort of really nice but also completely stupid at the same time - trust me i've known plenty of people whose day you could ruin with the littlest things without realizing it.

Anywho, i really don't know what to expect from this record. Half-studio bandrecording , half basement fiddling. It could go anywhere, hopefully it's 1. good 2. something new. It's probably both of those things!

Moni

Hooray for living room shows!!

Postby Moni » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 am

Solo-album, band-album, polka-album, whatever. Just release the damn thing already!

Affe

Postby Affe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 am

Kasper wrote:1. good 2. something new. It's probably both of those things!

2 years ago in Chicago he said they were going to make a heavy metal album.

Patr!ck

Re: Hooray for living room shows!!

Postby Patr!ck » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:58 am

Moni wrote:Solo-album, band-album, polka-album, whatever. Just release the damn thing already!

This.

Kasper

Postby Kasper » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:16 am

Affe wrote:
Kasper wrote:1. good 2. something new. It's probably both of those things!

2 years ago in Chicago he said they were going to make a heavy metal album.

I guess i just got pwn3d then.

Return to “Swoon”