Thirteen Songs

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Patr!ck

Re: Thirteen Songs

Postby Patr!ck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Moni wrote:I have to ask the stupid question - what makes a poem a poem and what makes lyrics... lyrics?

I'm no expert, but poems have more to do with making the words sound good, choosing the right words to convey the emotion the author wants to the reader who has nothing but the actual text to go by. Lyrics focus on the singing just as much as the words, with the bonus of being able to sing words a certain way to give them an extra dimension.

Example 1:

Teaspoon
Teaspoon
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

We all know, and love, that lyric, but as a poem it just doesn't fly well. From knowing the melody of the singing we get feelings we just don't get by reading them off paper.

Example 2:

"It melted, and I let it fall and break.
But I was well
Upon my way to sleep before it fell,
And I could tell
What form my dreaming was about to take."

- Robert Frost, After Apple-Picking

I really love this poem, but I have a hard time finding a way to sing this. It makes a great poem, but to call them "lyrics" would be a stretch,. Inversely...

Example 3:

"Dust always blowing about the town,
Except when sea-fog laid it down,
And I was one of the children told
Some of the blowing dust was gold.

All the dust the wind blew high
Appeared like gold in the sunset sky,
But I was one of the children told
Some of the dust was really gold.

Such was life in the Golden Gate:
Gold dusted all we drank and ate,
And I was one of the children told,
'We all must eat our peck of gold'."

Frost again, A Peck of Gold

This poem by Robert Frost could easily double as lyrics. Frost wasn't really a singer, and I doubt he had lyrics on his mind when he wrote but I have an easy time singing this poem. I guess I'd call this the double-whammy: it's a poem with lyrical beat, or lyrics that read nicely as a poem.

That's my story.

leigh

Postby leigh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:32 pm

anyone with enough time on their hands to figure out what John typed?

junker347

Postby junker347 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:26 pm

you know, i meant to ask this when the album came out, but what's with "teaspoon" anyway? (as the chorus)

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 pm

what you heat heroin on?

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 am

Patr!ck wrote:
This poem by Robert Frost could easily double as lyrics. Frost wasn't really a singer, and I doubt he had lyrics on his mind when he wrote but I have an easy time singing this poem. I guess I'd call this the double-whammy: it's a poem with lyrical beat, or lyrics that read nicely as a poem.

See, for me it's the other way round, I have an easy time singing the first, hard time trying it with the second poem. Also, I can think of quite a few poems that use a very short meter, with most lines consisting of a few syllables/words only, and sometimes even only one word. Ialos have to say tho they're all in german language.

I realize that some lyrics could never stand alone as poems, but the other way round, to say "this is a poem, it's not lyrics" seems odd to me.
So, I'm still confused.

That said, Episode 4 is up... hammocks are death traps :)

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Between the hatchet and the hammock I'm beginning to worry for John's safety. Someone needs to child-proof his house - at least until he's done with the new album.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 am

and perhaps hide those air supply records while they're at it, so they won't influence his lyrics too much.

cool record player, glad he didn't knock that over

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Holy My God. Lost in Love? Did we have to go there?

Suddenly I'm back at the Eastridge Ice Arena in an aqua leotard with matching wraparound skirt. The routine I created to the title track of that album was breathtaking. I was seriously channeling Tai Babilonia. You have no idea who I'm talking about.

Going forward I'd like to see the inclusion of concurrent awesomeness that doesn't drudge up my former sports idiosyncracies, like say Cheap Trick: Live at Budokan II or maybe Paradise Theatre* or potentially even Voices. I'll gladly follow the Captain (and if this keeps up, potentially Tenille), to the ends of the songwriting earth...but I'm thinking I need a little handholding along the way. Just saying.

* "Dude, have you ever played Snowblind backwards??"

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:59 am

Squid wrote:Suddenly I'm back at the Eastridge Ice Arena in an aqua leotard with matching wraparound skirt. The routine I created to the title track of that album was breathtaking. I was seriously channeling Tai Babilonia.

I feel strangely stirred by this image.

Have you done any subsequent... routines?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 am

episode 5 gives us some insight in John's eating habits, decorating dilemmas resolved by an out of space perspective and sneaking in there almost as an aside, a glance at how writing lyrics works, "things happen".

leigh

Postby leigh » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Squid wrote:Holy My God. Lost in Love? Did we have to go there?

Suddenly I'm back at the Eastridge Ice Arena in an aqua leotard with matching wraparound skirt. The routine I created to the title track of that album was breathtaking. I was seriously channeling Tai Babilonia. You have no idea who I'm talking about.

this inspired me to admit that in 5th grade art class, i made a representation of the cover of "the one that you love" out of punch holes and.....I still have it!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Epsiode 6 is up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aElekAKuQ_w . More insights regarding John's eating habits. Also more danger for John. I'm getting nervous for his safety.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 am

So...um...When do the "Songs" come in?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:43 am

I would estimate that the lack of Twitter updates over the last week(s) have been indicative of progress. But that could be senseless optimism rearing it's ugly head.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Episode 7 - Deep Thoughts from the Deep End : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzts_zYLFE4 . It appears Mad Max may be a strong influence on the next album.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 am

my analysis: the last three videos have shown John eating, and it seems to me the chain from pasta to cherries to dandelions is total proof that John has gone 'raw food' only.

okay, that's not very likely, now is it?

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:19 am

Probably not. Anyway, I totally approve of John's helmet. Two safety-measures approving thumbs up!

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:41 am

I think the helmet was my favourite part about this clip -- although I'll need to watch it again to be 100% sure. It ties things together nicely.

What is the significance of the title, Thirteen Songs? We haven't heard any songs in the videos, so it's not like there's going to be 13 videos with clips of 13 songs in them. Does the band know for a fact that the album will contain 13 songs, and because it's as of yet untitled, it goes by the name 13 songs? But that's an awfully bold claim. What if one of them just sounds bad in the context of the eventually, hopefully, finished album and they have to cut it down to 12? Or better yet! The band, at the last minute, jams out six new awesome songs and they decide to make an epic 18-song 82min record? Not that I'm complaining about the possibility of a 13-song disc: that would also be a new band record worthy of celebration.

Things to discuss!

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:35 pm

holy crap...someone is looking as if they ride the short bus if you know what i mean.

i do not live in a concrete pool...i live in a concrete CONDO. we're high class in bellevue.

my response out loud to the dandelion eating? "OH MY GOD, HE DID!"

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:19 am

Part 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkKu35l0c8 . The helmet makes a little more sense now.

Return to “Swoon”