Choose Your Adventure with John Roderick

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

pahouk

Choose Your Adventure with John Roderick

Postby pahouk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:22 am

John has volunteered to be part of The Stranger's annual charity auction : http://slog.thestranger.com/seattle/spe ... id=2843191.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Re: Choose Your Adventure with John Roderick

Postby sour29 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Haha. That's wild. Sounds like a fun time. Too bad the winner has to choose between all those ridiculously spectacular options.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri May 21, 2010 3:49 pm

I was actually the winner of this auction last December. We've finally been able to schedule it for the afternoon of June 4th. There's an extra spot available if someone on the board would like to come along. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you the details.

zach

Postby zach » Fri May 21, 2010 6:03 pm

pahouk wrote:I was actually the winner of this auction last December. We've finally been able to schedule it for the afternoon of June 4th. There's an extra spot available if someone on the board would like to come along. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you the details.

Nice! I'm excited that somebody on the board won so we'll get a full recap. I'll be out of town, but that should be a blast. Which adventure did you choose?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri May 21, 2010 9:03 pm

I think we decided on a combined Seattle music history / general history tour. Someone from The Stranger is coming along as well. I'll try to take notes and report back.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:20 pm

That's going to be an absolute blast. Wish I could come with. Have a great time!

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat May 22, 2010 6:58 am

Wicked! Would totally come along if it weren't for a measly 5000 miles...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't know if the spot is still available, but if it is, I'd love to join!

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Sun May 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Unremarkable wrote:I don't know if the spot is still available, but if it is, I'd love to join!

Since you're the first person to reply the spot's yours. We're scheduled to meet on June 4th (which is a Friday) at 1:00. If you can make it let me know and I'll send you the details.

Update: It turns out that Unremarkable can't make it so the spot is still open if someone else is interested.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:44 am

sooooooooo tempting.....sooooooo not possible for me to make that day/time. :(

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 pm

I had an enormous amount of fun on the tour today. We drove all around Seattle while John pointed out and talked about various landmarks (both general historical landmarks as well as Seattle music landmarks). John's knowledge of Seattle is truly impressive. I was having so much fun talking that I completely failed to make any notes but Megan Seling (from The Stranger) was with us and she did take notes. She said she would probably have something on The Stranger website on Monday.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:47 am

Megan has published her story about our adventure with John: http://lineout.thestranger.com/lineout/ ... -city#more. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but If I remember any additional stories I'll let you know. There's also a bit of video of part of the tour to give you a sense of what it was like. I just want to thank John again for a great afternoon. If you ever get a chance to have a guided tour with John you should definitely take it - you will not be disappointed.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 am

pahouk wrote: If you ever get a chance to have a guided tour with John you should definitely take it - you will not be disappointed.

(disturbing thing is, I'm pretty sure John could give me a tour of Vienna and tell me things I didn't know yet about the city. eep.)

Thank you for posting this, I had already given up hope this article was ever going to happen. So did Chris join you guys?

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am

just when i think i have pulled myself from the suck of John's charisma, there it is again, sigh

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 am

Moni wrote:
Thank you for posting this, I had already given up hope this article was ever going to happen. So did Chris join you guys?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anyone else from the board who could join us so it was just John, Megan, and myself. If I had been thinking I would have realized that not everyone would be able to join us on a Friday afternoon. I should have suggested a weekend day.

Edited to add: So I am a failure as a reporter because I did not take any notes during the tour. Honestly it was more like having a long conversation with John rather than an interview so it would have been kind of weird to continually stop and take notes. Also it really was over three hours! Most of what we talked about was about Seattle history and architecture which may not be that interesting for those of you not in the area. Megan covered most of the music-related items pretty well. Here are some random additional items I remember that weren't in the article:

John talked about how they liked to annoy Rachel Flotard (from Visqueen) by plastering their shared practice space with TLW show posters.

I may be misremembering but I thought John said they had built the concrete WSH practice space building (not just the wall). He mentioned that they had gone to learn masonry in order to build it.

The pre-grunge Seattle music scene was mainly what he referred to as hesher music. A friend came down from Alaska and asked to see some real Seattle music so John took him to see some local bands. The friend was not impressed.

The part where the video gets cut off was me talking about when I was at the University of Washington in the early 80's (boy does that make me feel old). There didn't seem to be much interest in going to see bands. Mostly it seemed like bands were just background noise at frat parties where the main focus was drinking. John mentioned that those frat parties were actually pretty lucrative for a band and bands were often glad to get them. I think nowadays more people actively support the Seattle music scene. I think some of that is a fallout of the national attention that grunge got. I think a lot of people in Seattle were suprised to find out there was a Seattle music scene and were a little embarassed that the national press had to point it out to them. (Also I've never really heard my recorded voice before. I sound even more like a chipmunk than I thought/feared. I know this is of no interest to anyone except me but it was a bit startling to hear some strange voice talking and then realize it was me.)

Return to “Swoon”