Article by John in the Seattle Weekly Reverb Residency

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: Article by John in the Seattle Weekly Reverb Residency

Postby grant » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:02 am

Is the experience of watching a DVD at home much the same as watching a movie in a theater for you?

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm

grant wrote:Is the experience of watching a DVD at home much the same as watching a movie in a theater for you?

Nope, but it has less to do with watching it with other people and more to do with the big screen, etc.

I don't discount the sense of camaraderie that comes when other people like the same things as I do, but how important a song is to me is about my personal connection to it rather than how many other people agree with me. There's a lot of music out there that was life-changing for a generation of people (like my Dylan example) that have no importance to me because I just never connected to it. The opposite is also true. There's a lot of music that will always be important to me that no one else really cares about. I agree with John that there's less music that's influential on a big scale and that music's influence is now on a more personal level. I just don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Listen, here's the thing. I really think about you people. Like, seriously, all the time. And yesterday I was reading a New Yorker and came across an article that really speaks to the whole Superfan thing.

The art alone will have you on LOLerskates...

Just Write It!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the word Superfan is actually used in this piece. Not sure how I feel about that, but if we're looking for proof that the concept is socially pervasive, there you go.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:27 pm

oh wow, why didn't I think of starting http://www.wheresthatnewthelongwintersalbumalready.com? anyone want to get into a feud over it?

That series sounds like an interesting read, by the way, but it will have to wait because I"m reading Roddy Doyle's Henry Smart trilogy, which is amazing.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Read that same article. Hard spot to put an author in. But not musicians... where's that new album!?!?!?

<<just kiddin'... mostly>>

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:17 am

It looks like John might be reviving his Seattle Weekly column. His next piece will be answering people's questions about Bumbershoot: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... -relat.php. I have to admit there's not a huge number of bands I want to see this year. Maybe John can convince me otherwise.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 pm

The Seattle Weekly Reverb section is going to print a monthly magazine and it looks like John will doing some writing for it: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... eeklys.php. I hope this is going to be available on-line somewhere because I'm not sure where to get a copy of the Seattle Weekly print edition where I live.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:03 am

I wonder if they need an outsider/lo-fi columnist.

Probably like a hole in the head, alas.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm

John's October Reverb column is out: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2 ... talini.php. I have to admit the first part struck a bit of a chord with me. Around here the whole grunge thing is still practically a religion. This may get me thrown out of Seattle but I don't actually like most grunge music. I'm just glad that the Seattle music scene seems to have moved on.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 am

wow, amazing that anyone still remembers the band Bush.

pahouk

Postby pahouk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Liesbeth wrote:wow, amazing that anyone still remembers the band Bush.

Actually their reunion tour was in town recently. According to the Seatle Weekly there were quite a few women at the show fawning over the lead singer. To me it just doesn't seem like they were together long enough (and haven't been gone long enough) for nostalgia.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 am

Strange to find Mr. Roderick's name in this listing on an unrelated friend's tumblr:

It's an Honorable Mention in Da Capo's Best Music Writing 2011.

(The unrelated friend is a few names higher on the same page.)

Return to “Swoon”