Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Chase Jarvis' Seattle 100

Postby Moni » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:46 am

http://s100.chasejarvis.com/people/johnroderick
Sweet.

About the project: "Seattle 100 Portrait of a City is the culmination of a two-year personal project by renowned photographer, filmmaker, and social artist Chase Jarvis. Both a creative project and an insightful ethnography, Seattle 100 shares—via more than 300 stunning black-and-white portraits and biographies of each subject—a curated collection of leading artists, musicians, writers, scientists, restaurateurs, DJs, developers, activists, entrepreneurs, filmmakers, and more, all of whom are defining and driving culture in Seattle. Some faces you will know, other names you may have heard in passing, and others will have been unknown to you until now. Individually, the images and words here introduce you to 100 engaging and important people. Collectively, this portrait of a city tells a fascinating, interwoven story about a unique and vibrant place. Purchase this book and help support the arts here in Seattle."

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Re: Chase Jarvis' Seattle 100

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:02 am

can I be prissy and European here: what's with the gun?

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:41 am

Liesbeth wrote:can I be prissy and European here: what's with the gun?

Must be an Alaskan thing? :P

By the way, it's really worth looking through some of the other photos as well. Aside from the fact that JC has a very distinctive style and that the lighting in some photos just kills me, he seems to able to make his subjects really comfortable during the session. I love it. The whole series makes want to grab my camera, go outside and shoot until the batteries are exhausted.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 am

I thought the concept of a "Seattle 100" was, although flattering, also a little suspect. Who Seattle's 100 most influential people are is surely a question of who you ask, and of who does the asking. So, anyway, I'm not such an anarchist that I would turn down the honor, and Chase is a great photographer, but I took the piss out of it by wearing a tux and bringing a pistol. Maybe you've noticed that I do this? Take the piss out of things I'm not completely sure about? Like the Burn to Shine? People were bent out of shape that I played a whammy-bar solo through that whole thing, but I couldn't do that with a straight face, it was too self-serious. Also, the rock version of Ultimatum on PTDTB was an intentional unwinding of one of my most deeply felt songs. Because I don't want to be self-serious. Sometimes I overreact and behave ironically, not only by way of protest, but as a way of staying engaged. So, BANG.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am

I should have guessed, irony and guns, pillars of American society

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 pm

At the risk of thread-hopping, but because I've been strapped for time and unable to post a thoughtful reply re: Superfans yet...I think it would be very interesting to see an article about guns from Captain Jack.

Ps: A white jacket after labor day is FAR more dangerous than any firearm. Just saying.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:08 am

Squid wrote:I think it would be very interesting to see an article about guns from Captain Jack.

Guns and planes, yes! We would just have to hide the gun-part from Liesbeth.
By the way, photo#3 in the series looks like it's taken straight out of Reservoir Dogs.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Just a reminder of John's familiarity with firearms:

http://vimeo.com/4320388

...but on that day, no one was more of a crack shot than Jonathan Rothman.

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

I've actually never seen that before but ZOMG Lollycat - did Nabil say, "Ferosh"?! Nice.

But yeah, just for the record, I was being totally serious on the gun article tip.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 am

Squid wrote:But yeah, just for the record, I was being totally serious on the gun article tip.

Looks like you're on to something!
So why would you want to own a shotgun in Seattle? Any interesting/dangerous wildlife you got there (aside from toilet-paperers)?

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Those pictures were taken in the summer, so the white jacket is legit.

Moni

Postby Moni » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:27 am

Return to “Swoon”