powerpop?

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

powerpop?

Post by Liesbeth »

There is a review in Dutch music mag Heaven on WIPTF, which had me kinda baffled. I'm not going to translate all of it, since I think it's a badly done piece (this reviewer claims that Jonathan Auer co-produced and calls WIPTF non-commital).

But what struck me was that The Long Winters are called a powerpop band and WIPTF one the best powerpop records to be released in the last years.

To me powerpop is quite a different thing from TLW, whose versatility makes them rise far above the limitations of powerpop.
Would love to hear other people's opinions on this.
heather

Post by heather »

what the fuck is "powerpop"?
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

heather wrote:what the fuck is "powerpop"?

hahaha, that's the best answer, I suppose.

mmm, should you seriously ask, that's a long discussion, the experts are not agreed on this matter...
Mite

Post by Mite »

As long as we're pigeonholing, I tend to think TLW are a bit more alt-country indie rock than powerpop indie rock.

I feel dirty for writing that.
heather

Post by heather »

well, i think they're more post punk manchester meets chris gaines on top of some early 90's r&b with a dab of brady bunch to keep it groovy.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

The funny thing is that everyone who likes the Long Winters seems to pigeonhole them to fit in with their own preference. I spoke to a friend who was thrilled that TLW are coming to Groningen, along with a couple of other great alt-country bands in the same month. When I'd never thought of TLW as alt-country. Nor powerpop, which in my humble opinion, when done 'by the book', is boring as hell, which is why I think that tag is such an insult...
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

We're pretty alt-country, if by 'alt' you mean 'not-at-all'.

The Long Winters are clearly an alt-pop band. But we transpose the first letter of the word after the hyphen in order to defeat spam-filters. So we're a palt-op band. Why the confusion?

love
john
heather

Post by heather »

Ah I see........"palt-op"

It makes so much sense now, I can't believe I didn't see that in the first place.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

John wrote: So we're a palt-op band.

put that in your bio and for sure at least half the reviews and interviews will mention it as a new genre ;-)
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

heather wrote:what the fuck is "powerpop"?

Music on the continuum drawn between Bram Tchaikovsky, Cheap Trick up to actionslacks and Death Ray Davies.
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

grant wrote:Music on the continuum drawn between Bram Tchaikovsky, Cheap Trick up to actionslacks and Death Ray Davies.

Check out the Poptopia! comps that came out on Rhino a few years back, especially the '70s one. Stuff like Nazz, the Raspberries. Poptastic. One of the DIY comps (also on Rhino, possibly out of print, but you should be able to find used) also was dedicated to powerpop.

And I will wholeheartedly endorse the Deathray Davies.
heather

Post by heather »

I refuse to recognize this so-called "powerpop" as a genre. i will file it under 'meh' along with nu-metal, celine dion [she is her own genre of suck], emo [all variations of it, such as "screamo"], and other things lame in nature. what happened to plain old rock n roll? you kids and your music. sheesh.
Liesbeth

aural cheesecake

Post by Liesbeth »

The 4-star review of WIPTF in October's Mojo also has the dreaded P-pop tag. Plus the qualification "this is quality aural cheesecake that slides down real easy". For that, I'll almost forgive Keith Cameron for calling Nora 'mawkish'.
LikeAFox

Post by LikeAFox »

I thought power pop was an oxymoron. Or at the most, an attempt by twee-huggers (excuse the pun) to show angst. And when I think "alt-country" I think of Jesse Sykes, possibly Rilo Kiley. Whatever. I even heard someone call the Long Winters "Gorky's Zygotic Mynci with a chip on its shoulder." In which case, the Long Winters could be Welch-core.

We should have a contest to see who can come up with the longest hyphen-riddled genre name for LW.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

John Peel, the legendary English radio-dj, said (I think; I'm doing this from memory) that there are only two kinds of music: good and bad.

Now let's see, what genre would TLW be...
longtimecoming

Post by longtimecoming »

dude, one word on power pop: SUPER DELUXE. i considered llots of bands from here power pop, i grew up as my fave genre is power pop. will i get my rear kicked for trhinking that??

HOORAH FOR POWERPOP..
Intrpdtrvlr

Post by Intrpdtrvlr »

Powerpop makes me think of more straight ahead r 'n' r than the Long Winters' approach, but it's not the worse description. It's just as clear as "indie pop" or something to that effect.
Being from Michigan, I'm not against the label, as I can think of some pretty solid powerpop bands from MI; most notably the late Atomic Numbers and The Pop Project.
Fi

Post by Fi »

yeah it seems like a pretty innocuous term. "power pop" just makes me think of anything that goes well with exceeding the speed limit when driving. so long as its not actually awful.
Dez

Post by Dez »

Isn´t powerpop a vaque description for music with attention to melody and sonic detail AND crunchy guitars?
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I always associated it with blink-182, Gob and treble charger. Moving from ok, mediocre to good. But what the hell do I know? I eat out of picinic baskets.