wow, the new yawk timeseses!

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

wonderbex

wow, the new yawk timeseses!

Postby wonderbex » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:36 pm

i say, i say: who is that fine-lookin' fella caught mid-barbaric-yawp on page 27 of the arts and leisure section of the NYT?

above the fold, no less!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/25/arts/ ... wanted=all

but i think the photo is only in the print edition.

(i go straight for the arts and leisure section.)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:41 am

the online edition has a picture next to the story, featuring what looks like a moose without antlers (do those exist?) plus two guys with hard hats in the background. I know none of these are in TLW, so maybe Okkervil River have a deer in their mids? ah wait, it might be an advertisement for Shell...

anyways, with such a recommendation I may have to check out Okkervil River...

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:46 am

LONG WINTERS and OKKERVIL RIVER Every time I've listened to the electro-rock rave-up "Dance Macabre" by the Faint over the last two years, I've regretted not listing it in my top 10 in 2001. I wonder if, as I continue to listen nonstop to "When I Pretend to Fall" (Barsuk) by the Seattle band the Long Winters and "Down the River of Golden Dreams" (Jagjaguwar) by the Austin, Tex., band Okkervil River, I will not regret omitting those discs from last year's list. Both are smart, catchy, near-perfect indie-rock records. Long Winters come on crisp, clean and melodic (especially on the fantastic "Blue Diamonds" and "Cinnamon") while Okkervil River prefers a more warbly, orchestrated approach (as on the beautiful, crescendoing "It Ends With a Fall"). -- Neil Strauss

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Okkervil River

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:17 pm

They're pretty good. Well the 2 songs you can dl from the new cd are at least. Lets wait till i get the whole cd. Ya'll should check em out!

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:56 pm

hey can someone post the pic? im too lazy to sign up...i am warming up to these guys becoming the next big thing, but ihope they stay grounded kind and responsible.

i have seen tlw play and they rule... when i weas young i fancied my self a hips ter/scenester, and you were dorkey if you didnt like super deluxe.

hoorah, hoorah. their day has come. wwwwwwwwwwwwoooooo

sean
consigliere

Postby sean » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:37 pm

that okkervil river record is fantastic, and i highly recommend it to anyone who likes good music.

hovering

Postby hovering » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:31 pm

<i>down the river of golden dreams</i> has saved my life.
and i promise, it will save yours, too.

Return to “Swoon”