4/16 show at Cat's Cradle (Carrboro, NC) - video

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

spydirweb

4/16 show at Cat's Cradle (Carrboro, NC) - video

Postby spydirweb » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:00 am

I was able to capture a "decent" quality video of almost the whole show on my PDA (thanks sony clie!), which kind of explains the bad quality. By bad quality I mean it's a little shakey at times, the video window's small, and there's a couple moments where I got distracted and suddenly realized I hit a couple buttons at the wrong time and somehow flipped the camera around for a moment... It sounds pretty good on my crappy speakers, but my PDA sadly ran out of space 3 minutes before the whole set was over, then magically was able to record another minute or so but I did completely miss the last 2 minutes or so.

The file's currently in quicktime format but I'm gonna try converting it to divx and I'm hoping the band's ok with me posting it here for free. I'll post again when I have it finished with links to locations for it.

If anyone knows it wouldn't be cool to post this please post here about that. I just wanted to try to get something for people that couldn't make it the show or any shows around them and just wanted to get a feel for what TLW's like live if they've never seen it.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:18 am

Historically, they've been OK with this kind of stuff, but I wouldn't presume to speak for the band. This is awesome, I can't wait to see it. Out of curiosity, what's the setlist?

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:34 pm

Yeah, actually... I was wondering John, Eric, and Michael... I'm thinking of / hoping to do a single cam DV/tape with a MiniDisc soundboard feed recording of your next show in Toronto. As always, I'd be glad to send you a copy through Barsuk. I know that you said you were cool with audio taping, but I don't know about video...so, just checking to see if it's a-ok with you guys?

spydirweb

Postby spydirweb » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:41 pm

I'll have the set list once I have the video converted and I make that post. I'll say this, there's a very special surprise...

mms

Postby mms » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:07 pm

Looking forward to it! Thanks for putting it up for the rest of us. So, what's the surprise?

spydirweb

Postby spydirweb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:54 pm

it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you!

I'm sorry but I'm having a lot of trouble getting this damn thing to work right. I use a linux computer and usually use mencoder to convert video, but because it's Sony's weirdass quicktime wrapper thing mencoder isn't getting the sound. I tried getting it to convert with quicktime pro in my windows machine but that took 14 hours (thanks 300MHz processor!) and the file wasn't encoded I believe, because it was 13GB's. I'm working with it as best I can but if anyone knows for a fact they can convert a Quicktime movie to DiVX and would like to help, please email me.

I'll try getting this up as soon as I can!

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:02 pm

Just for the record, we're always fine with this kind of stuff. I just reserve the right to meddle in all your personal affairs in the event that the video or audio that you have captured paints us in any but the most favorable, mass-market accessible, Disney-color light. This includes one day blaming you for the fact that we never toured with Aerosmith.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm

Awesome. Thanks a lot John--that's really cool of you. I'll do my best to make a great video!...now I just have to get my hands on a DVD burner... hmm.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:39 pm

Maybe I shouldn't be advertising the June 17th, 2003 show on the other board then, hmmm?

Says Sean:

Our return, alas, is less than triumphant. After a series of shows playing with bands we know and like, tonight's show is bound to smack of anticlimax. We're back on our own, and it takes a minute to regain equilibrium. The crowd is small, but respectable, and respectful, if dispassionate. Opening band The Trews (Michael and John both thought they were awesome, by the way) brought a ton of people out, nearly all of whom left one second after the last power chord had rung dry. It's clear enough that the purpose of the set is to reacquaint ourselves not only with our music, but with each other, and our little quest. In that regard, things go really well. Despite what I said earlier about what playing to small crowds teaches you about communication, it's useful to remember that sometimes a small house gives you the chance to play just for yourself. We load out and head back stateside, bracing ourselves for a lonely haul homeward, but hoping for the best.

spydirweb

Postby spydirweb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:57 pm

I think the reason the aerosmith tour hasn't worked is because steven tyler has a rule about "if the entire band cannot fit inside my mouth they are not aloud."

can't blame me for that.

miriyummy

Postby miriyummy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:45 pm

John wrote:Just for the record, we're always fine with this kind of stuff. I just reserve the right to meddle in all your personal affairs in the event that the video or audio that you have captured paints us in any but the most favorable, mass-market accessible, Disney-color light. This includes one day blaming you for the fact that we never toured with Aerosmith.

which is much better than one day blaming us for touring with aerosmith.*

*(no offense meant to aerosmith in any way-sometimes i really do love them)

Return to “Swoon”