Summer 2004, Best in Shows

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Summer 2004, Best in Shows

Post by Betty Felon »

Is it Summer where you are? It's time for Summer concerts!

What are you looking forward to most?

My vote:

1. Number One goes to The Curiosa Fest. The Cure! Cursive! (Is it horrible that I don't give a shit about Interpol now that the Cure are back?) I'm about 700 million times more excited about The Cure than the Pixies.

2. Prince. He postponed his Chicago show for yet another month...If it was anyone but Prince, I wouldn't believe that the agonizing wait could be climactic, but Prince might pull it off.

I have chosen these two huge shows because, well, I haven't seen a huge show in years that I really really wanted to go to, and well...it's THE CURE and PRINCE. I mean, c'mon.

Ok, who else is will make summer 2004 best in shows?
not a long winter at al

Post by not a long winter at al »

I’m totally looking forward to see Madonna; FINALY!!!
(or should I say; Esther???)
The concert tickets where sold out with in 15 minutes; but I managed to get a ticket from the black market. I never saw her in concert, and it might be one of the last chances to see my youth idol.

(Luckily the otters played a cover of her last year; ‘Tell me’.
That sounded great too!!! it might be better than madonna...)
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Betty, don't forget, Interpol is on that tour too! I hear they're smashing, and Turn Off The Bright Lights is a great cd!

I'm looking forward to the Ben Folds free show TOMORROW!

And then the Sahara Hotngihts in TO in July. Then its all about waiting for the fall!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

yeah, I know they are. Last summer I was all about Turn Off the Bright Lights. But they were lame live. I wanted to see some of that New York Badditude, but the show was boring.

Curiosa, I've heard, has a great lineup, but I'm only swooning ovet the Cure. Cursive is also awesome. And people have been buzzing about the Rapture too....anyone heard them?

Anyone heard the new Cure album? There was a cd release/listening party here with a Robert Smith lookalike contest, but I missed it because my grandpa had to go and turn 80 and we had to assemble around him and be progeny.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I didn't know they sucked live. Bummer in the summer. I've heard several tracks from the album. It sounds like The Cure. And really, that's all I can say about it.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I agree. They are a total Cure takeoff. But why deal with a boring takeoff when you can have the real thing?
hovering

Post by hovering »

heather's two cents:

i hate the new cure cd. the rapture kind of annoys me, but i'm not too into the dancey-nyc-hip thing. muse is on that tour, too--they are great, but someone told me they sound a "little too good" live, if you know what i mean. the new interpol cd is kind of nice (out in september) but i think they would be boring live. again, the new cure cd is not that good.

/end my bitter, crazy rant.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

why? what's not good about it. That single, The End of the World, is GREAT. do you like the Cure otherwise?

This is turning into the Cure thread. I don't mind one bit.
heather

Post by heather »

heather's two cents:

i've already seen one of the best shows of the summer, that being the slomo/somo rage-out-fest at the croc in early june.

1. jv/ptl in the nw.
2. mc5 on saturday, if i can go.
3. um.... if the l-dubs play my housewarming party, then that'll be numero tres.

/end
Squid

Post by Squid »

LoveSickJerk wrote:I'm looking forward to the Ben Folds free show TOMORROW! And then the Sahara Hotngihts in TO in July. Then its all about waiting for the fall!

Erm, a few things...is this going to be a Ben Folds show with RUFUS WAINWRIGHT? who has been on tour with him? because if it is i will be a very jealous bitter bunny indeed. I heart rufus. I heart him in a way that is not entirely healthy and/or sane. It's a good thing he's gay, or there would be problems. Serious problems.

anyhoo, sahara hotnights are really fun, i love them. It's as close as you'll ever get to a Runaways show, y'know. [Remotely interesting aside: according to my pal who toured Sweden with his band...Apparently in the arts are really well-subsidized there...as in, SH's rehearsal space was partially paid for by govt funds for a few years, etc. And, lo, said pal was pretty jealous, but loves them anyhow. ]

Ahem, okay now that i've bored you to tears...I've missed the only shows that mattered, IE: my two TLW shows here in SF a week ago. The only true light of hope on my horizon is the Finn Brothers tour in a few weeks at the Warfield.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

The Hutch's pick for best chance to stand in mud, drink beer, and hear 5 bands at once: The Austin City Limits Music Festival in Sept, which would be fall anywhere but Texas, but here it will still be 100 degrees...Abra Moore, Wilco, Drive By Truckers, Broken Social Scene, Franz Ferdinand, Los Lonely Boys, The Killers, but best of all...Centro-effen-matic. Between now n then it's slim pickins.
hovering

Post by hovering »

Betty Felon wrote:why? what's not good about it. That single, The End of the World, is GREAT. do you like the Cure otherwise?

This is turning into the Cure thread. I don't mind one bit.

you know how there's like two lines when it comes to the cure/the smiths? i was always on the smiths fence. i don't know, the cure record just seems like TOO MUCH. like robert smith is really trying too hard. and he's too angry. i like angry, angry is good. but shit, i don't know. i generally do like the cure (funny: my favorite cure album is disintegration, and people keep saying this is like disintegration part 2) but this just didn't do it for me. it's weird because i thought i'd love it. i'll listen to it [as i have to at work, though i don't mind. better than nickelback?] but i haven't purchased it and don't particularly plan on it. i expected it to be a little more poppy, catchy, kind of fun. i guess i'm sick of bitterness these days.
miriyummy

Post by miriyummy »

no pic wrote: but best of all...Centro-effen-matic. Between now n then it's slim pickins.

i was hoping for a little summer centro-matic (or even some solo will j.), but that doesn't look like it's going to happen, at least around here.

there are a bunch of free outdoor shows that should be fun, though. probably best of all is beulah, in august, at castle clinton (it's an old fort in battery park). and they might be giants in july.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Well, you know how it is, if Centro aren't around, they are probably in Europe!
I will try to go and see them 17 July in Nijmegen at the Valkhof Affaire (part of the festivities of the 88th Nijmegen Four Days' March, an amazing event at which almost 50.000 people walk the same route, 50 km a day; personally I prefer to walk in the quiet company of a few friends, but it takes all sorts, I guess)

I've never heard of a rift between Cure and Smiths fans. If you wore black, you were fine in the second half of the eighties, right?
Saw the Cure in 1989 ('88?) on the Disintegration tour. Weird, what I remember best is the (very beautiful) light show, other than that it's a hazy blur of slow and dark music...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

hovering wrote:you know how there's like two lines when it comes to the cure/the smiths? i was always on the smiths fence. i don't know, the cure record just seems like TOO MUCH. like robert smith is really trying too hard. and he's too angry. i like angry, angry is good. but shit, i don't know. i generally do like the cure (funny: my favorite cure album is disintegration, and people keep saying this is like disintegration part 2) but this just didn't do it for me. it's weird because i thought i'd love it. i'll listen to it [as i have to at work, though i don't mind. better than nickelback?] but i haven't purchased it and don't particularly plan on it. i expected it to be a little more poppy, catchy, kind of fun. i guess i'm sick of bitterness these days.

I was on the fence with the Smith's too...if that's what you mean. They were always a little too whiny, but still good. Different, interesting...but not me.

The Cure though, I was never on the fence about. I guess they never put me in a bad mood. But I've found there is a part of me that is seriously attracted to the darker side of humanness. I find too much happy optimism nausiating. I need an outlet for anger, sadness, etc. Its all about balance.

hmmm...thanks for the review though. You were so right about the Loretta Lynn, maybe I'll try to listen to a friends copy a few times before I buy it.

I'm glad to hear that someone else found Interpol boring live. I am still pissed that I paid $27.00 for that worthless experience. I want my money back. I need to go listen to something angry now.
not a long winter at al

Post by not a long winter at al »

liesbeth wrote:Well, you know how it is, if Centro aren't around, they are probably in Europe!
I will try to go and see them 17 July in Nijmegen at the Valkhof Affaire

Oh liesbeth, what a good idea! Maybe we can meet again.
That would be fun!
Have you ever been to the Valkhof? It’s a really great space to see a concert. You’re standing there between the ruins of the roman history of the city, listening to great music; surrounded by cool people who aren’t that stupid to walk all the miles…

So everyone who wants to see Cetro-matic for free; come join us in Holland!
miriyummy

Post by miriyummy »

not a long winter at al wrote:So everyone who wants to see Cetro-matic for free; come join us in Holland!

if only i could get to holland for free....
dchris

Re: Summer 2004, Best in Shows

Post by dchris »

So, I discovered today that Rilo Kiley is playing shows in north Florida the same weekend as Vanderslice/ the Mountain Goats.

Forget the summer shows, I'm all about Rocktober!
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

I was at the Curiosa Tour stop in Tampa on Sunday night.. I have to admit I am a little bnias because The Cure was on my list of top 5 bands to see live during my lifetime. So I was more than slightly stoked for the show. I was definitely pleased. Here is my short review...mostly of the 1st stage shows... with the FL heat it was a little too hot and smelly by the 2nd stage to stay around too long. I listened to some of Auf De Mar's set - she is pretty good.

Mogwai - sounded too much like noise and more noise... not too
impressed.

The Raputre - They have a fucking saxaphone player who part-times it
with a cowbell on a couple of songs. So they definitely got
a few booty shakes out of me. I love alternative
instrumentation. They played the next night in Orlando -
which I was thinking of going to, but ended up skipping.
However, I think they would have kicked ass in a small
venue.

Interpol - Pretty good, basically they just sounded like their CD. But
good none the less.

The Cure - Ok, so again I admit a partial bias. But, they were
awesome. I love Robert Smith. My friends and I had a
discussion about what we would say too him if we saw him. I
figured the only thing that would coherently come out of my
mouth was "I Love U" They played some new stuff, but also
some oldies but goodies such as Fascination Street, Lullaby,
and In Between Days. Definitely worth the $38 for the
ticket - despite the blistering Florida heat. The smell was not
a pretty one at the end of the night.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

cool. thanks for the review. I only paid $15 for my crappy lawn seats and I'm beginning to regret it. What a dumbass I am...The Cure is so worth $40 to be up close.