Kerry/Edwards '04

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

stephanie

Kerry/Edwards '04

Postby stephanie » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:43 am

To my kindred citizens who still hold a candle of hope in their hearts regarding the 2004 Presidential election: Heads-up. There's our ticket.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:07 am

Uh-oh, Wall Street is nervous.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/06/markets ... /index.htm

"From a market standpoint, I think this would reinforce the view that Kerry could win," he added.

And Wall Street is probably not too thrilled about that; stock investors have grown to expect policies from the Bush administration that are friendly to businesses and to investors. "

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:07 am

Well, i am ALL about a Kerry/Edwards ticket, but
that article was sort of strange. i found it odd that
J.K. would call J.E. a "champion for middle class
American's."

Maybe i am so used to language that has been
padded with "political correctness" that when
somebody give it to me straight, i get uncomfy.
[i am also all about using language that shows
respect for marganalized groups, etc.]

What does everyone else think?

[i also find it hilarious that our "champion" is a
millionaire.]

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:40 am

Very excited as well, although I thought (and kinda hoped) it was going to be a darkhorse like William Cohen.

Whenever you get nervous about a second term, remember this.... there are many people saying they voted for Bush in '00 but will vote for Kerry this time, but how many have you heard say they voted for Gore in '00 and will vote Bush this time?

It's a long time til November and most people dont know much about Kerry yet, but he's still dead even. Expect a 15 point bounce between now and the convention, and that puts Bush in a big hole.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:40 pm

At least Edwards made his millions instead of inheriting them. And he's a fantastic speaker---probably related to the millions he's made as a trial lawyer.

There is an excellent chance that bush will lose this election. At the end of June, the New York Times reported Bush's approval rating at 42%; no incumbant president with ratings that low this close to election has ever won.

But I have to say, the ginormous mess that Bush has made won't be a pretty thing to clean up. My guess is that Greenspan will quit. Kerry will have to balance some very delicate economic issues and non of them will be pretty.

heather

Postby heather » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:46 pm

Ladies and Gents:

It's time for a class war.

And I don't mean a snob-fest or anything like that. An all-out [all out? allout?] glorious bloody war, American Revolution style. Ya dig?*

[i'm only half-joking.]

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:22 pm

heather, i need you to not say things like that on the internet. dude, patriot act. barbie dream house, not jail.

love,
laura.

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:34 pm

That John Edwards sure is a hottie.

And that's my contributin to this political thread, thank you and goodnight!

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:46 am

There's a saying, though I'm not quite sure who said it (Nader?) that goes: "When you choose the lesser of two evils, you still end up with evil".

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:06 am

Unremarkable wrote:There's a saying, though I'm not quite sure who said it (Nader?) that goes: "When you choose the lesser of two evils, you still end up with evil".

true, true...but if you have to deal with evil, he might as well be a sexy devil.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:34 pm

i feel much better about voting for Kerry knowing that
he's running with Edwards. This way i don't feel like i'm
merely choosing "that guy who isn't Bush." i have a lot
of respect for JE...millionaire or not. =]

[i'd have to say JE is more "cute" than "sexy"...]

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:47 pm

Yeah, actually, I don't think either one is particularly attractive, but on principle...sexy devils over non-sexy devils.

Johnroderickismylover

Postby Johnroderickismylover » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:24 pm

I am voting for Bush. Ironic considering I am most likely the youngest member of this board at 18. I could never vote for Kerry, when he has failed to communicate what he believes and flip flops on every issue. Nothing he has done has convinced me that he has strong views or that he will be a good president. I also feel that Bush has done a respectable job while in office. I feel that our compassion in Iraq has been self destructive, however, Bush reacted well to a poor economy and Kerry would raise taxes again. I have never believed the affluent people that have worked to get where they are should be penalized for reaching that status.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:05 pm

Johnroderickismylover wrote:I am voting for Bush. Ironic considering I am most likely the youngest member of this board at 18. I could never vote for Kerry, when he has failed to communicate what he believes and flip flops on every issue. Nothing he has done has convinced me that he has strong views or that he will be a good president. I also feel that Bush has done a respectable job while in office. I feel that our compassion in Iraq has been self destructive, however, Bush reacted well to a poor economy and Kerry would raise taxes again. I have never believed the affluent people that have worked to get where they are should be penalized for reaching that status.

all of this sounds straight out of Bush's campaign materials. Kerry has not flip-flopped. over a period of ten years-- yes. as we all do.

do we need to talk about Bush's flip-flopping in order to fit his (or his various puppet-masters') agenda?

the idea that the harder you work is directly proportional to your monetary success is just plain bullshit, to put it in the most polite way I am capable of. if you start out as lower class you can work your ass off and get no where. if you are born homeless, your chances of getting in to an ivy league school with average to below average grades (as per G Dub) are virtually nil. rich people get richer and the poor get poorer. the success stories of rags to riches are there for a reason: to make us have faith in capitalism. they are in the media. the media is funded by who? who do you think it is that wants us to believe that capitalism works? the people who benefit most from it-- those on top, those with power, those with money.

taxes are not about penalizing people. it is about making this country a decent place to live. taxes are to take care of previous fuck-ups and prevent new ones. taxes are for educating ALL people, not just the ones who pay thousands to send their kids to private schools. there is no such things as "my" tax money or "your" tax money. taxes are for public and government services that are for "the people." ALL THE PEOPLE. you pay them. I pay them. how we influence the way they are spent is by getting involved with our government. once that money is out of your paycheck, it is not yours to lay claim to. if there weren't people in need, we wouldn't need to pay all these taxes. but people don't contribute to these causes voluntarily (it is easier to contribute to the problem), so we need taxes.

there are serious social injustices in the US. people are not in the lower class because they are lazy. they are there for various reasons, but mostly because they are held there by those that step on them.

survival of the fittest.

I do not mean to offend. I want to make that clear.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:01 pm

Amen, sister.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:49 am

Johnroderickismylover wrote:Nothing he has done has convinced me that he has strong views or that he will be a good president.

What constitutes a "strong view"?

Why do "strong views" constitute a qualification for a good president?

hovering

Postby hovering » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:42 am

oh, c'mon guys! you don't think bush has done a GREAT job these past four years?

I mean, personally, I've always wanted a president who really didn't win the election. what was it, 500,000 votes? that's luck, dude. pure fucking luck.

or a president that's telling me what is "okay" and "right" to do with my body, considering HE doesn't have a uterus, and I'm pretty sure he never had one in a past life, either.

and, well, every other thing I want to mention is written here for you, so I won't repeat myself.

yeah, god bless america.

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:13 am

Not to pounce, but exactly what issues has Kerry flip-flopped on recently? Has he changed his position over the course of 20 years in the Senate, yes, as I would hope he would. Stubbornly sticking to an idea when facts come up that prove you wrong is not strong leadership.

Speaking of flip-flopping, ask W why we went to war in Iraq. He's had 3 separate reasons as things go along and he is proven wrong.

First Reason - Iraq has a direct colaborative relationship with Al Queda

SHIT, that aint true. ATM recipts show Muhammad Atta was in Virginia when Cheney insists he met with Iraqi Intelligence officers in Prague.

Second Reason - OK, um, Iraq has weapons of mass distruction.

DOUBLE SHIT. They gotta be around here somewhere, don't they?

Third Reason - Um, OK, ah, let's see.... we are freeing an oppressed people from a bad guy.

Well, yes, by bombing the shit out of them. Nobody is saying that they are better off without Sadam. He was, as my grandma used to say, a genocidal fuckhead. But how happy would you be if someone blew up your house to help you.

Notice that a man that was no more of a threat than many other leaders (and less of a threat than Kim Jong Ill, who actually HAS weapons) is in U.S. hands while the man that planned the deaths of over 3,000 Americans is still at large.

Nice job guys. The war in Iraq is NOT the war on terror.

Somebody want to help me off this soapbox...

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:32 am

Seriously, though, now that I have calmed down, a good resource for all is

www.factcheck.org

Its a non-partisan website that breaks down all the campaign ads and fact checks them... hence the name.

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Absolutely!

Postby Moni » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:14 am

Johnroderickismylover wrote:I could never vote for Kerry, when he has failed to communicate what he believes and flip flops on every issue.

"First he doesn't have a running mate, and now he does. Talk about flip flopping." - The Daily Show

Return to “Cattywampus”