Heart Cooks Brain

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

SlimChance

Heart Cooks Brain

Postby SlimChance » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:42 pm

You listen to Modest Mouse? I love them, but I hate that they're on MTV. That's the danger zone for such a great band.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:04 pm

I have a love-hae relationship with modest mouse.

they're extremely catchy to me, but I hate the fact that they're all fluff and no substance.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:09 am

All fluff and no substance?

How do you mean?

[Fucking...Entertainment Weekly or some shit
like that deemed them the new Up and Coming
as well as the "Must-See Band of the Summer."
Last time i checked, IB just gets all fucked up
on stage and forgets how to play his instrument.
i LOVE Modest Mouse with every fiber of my little
being, but i wish to God that they weren't getting
known. i'm a dick.]

P.S. i'm crabby. That's why all the hate.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:18 am

All fluff? No, I can't agree with that. MM is a smart, poetic, insanely creative band.

They used to be awful live, completely wasted and assholeish, but it seems they've turned a new leaf. In an onion article (if I wasnt on dialup, I'd find it for you) Isaac spoke of the hard last few years with the band and his revelation that we don't pay to see him get drunk. Also, the bassist just had an adorable kid, Milo, and babies change everything.

The band is really good, and they deserve to be big and make money. The new album is fucking beautiful.

Also, a friend of mine served the guys breakfast in Tucson, and said they were extremely nice and great tipppers, too.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Betty Felon wrote:The new album is fucking beautiful.

'Nuff said.

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:36 pm

im entirely obsessed with the new album and have started working backwards through 'lonesome and crowded west' and 'moon & antarctica' to see what i've been missing (quite a lot, so it seems).

Kateness

Postby Kateness » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:39 pm

I think it's great that they have a video. Before I actively sought out indie rock, I discovered some great bands through their music videos. As long as MM continues to make good music, I have no problems with more people hearing them.

As a side note, I saw them in September last year and Isaac was drunk off his ass.

heather

Postby heather » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:07 pm

I hate modest mouse, but it tickles me silly to see them on MTV. and VH1. HA HA HA.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:50 pm

As long as MM continues to make good music, I have no problems with more people hearing them.

I'm not sure that can ever stop happening. I don't care how they are in show, because I don't plan on seeing any show anytime soon. I just really love their st00f.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:17 pm

When it comes to getting big and all mtv'd out, I think the danger lies in the music becoming too familiar. If you hear your favorite band in starbucks or the gap, and you are listening to it right next to suburban mom, it starts to lose its ability to speak directly to you.

At least, I really hope that bands would say something different to me that they would to my mom. seriously, I'm never COMPLETELY honest with my mom....she doesn't want to know.

I have noticed however, that the band seems to be SELLING a lot on thier website, and the corporite site has "exciting news" on it that sound like Ryan Seacrest soundbites. It all comes in sharp contrast to, say the barsuk site...or this one. Must be where they get the phrase "selling out"

On a related note, all the avatar eyes on the this page completely freak me out.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:30 pm

It's my actual, green eye that I'm proud to showcase.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:35 pm

Betty Felon wrote:All fluff? No, I can't agree with that. MM is a smart, poetic, insanely creative band.

Well it depends; I think they're insanely smart, poetic and insanely creative as far as delivering the music to my ears. I am interested and fascinated by each song and how awesomely bizarre each one is. It's the lack of depth (that I can't find anyway) that makes me say fluff.

Though attention getting and creative there is always this sense (that I get anyway) that he's just adlibbing them, just making it up as he comes along, each lyric has no special meaning with what he says. I feel like I just need to listen to the lyrics once and get the jest of it all. No need to hit the repeat button, 'cause it's all filler.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I myself own more Modest Mouse albums then I'm willing to admit but I'm just not going to stand up and praise them like a commenter on a VH1 countdown show.

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:57 am

Ooh, freaky, just as I opened up this forum 'Heart Cooks Brain' came on winamp. Er, started playing, I should say.

I think Modest Mouse is a great band, what fluff? They aren't my favorite ever though, I probably like about 80% of their songs.

hovering

Postby hovering » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:05 am

heather wrote:I hate modest mouse, but it tickles me silly to see them on MTV. and VH1. HA HA HA.

ME TOO. when people come into my store and ask if they are good, i tell them that they're great. except i really hate them. and that isaac brock? yuck.

wonderbex

Postby wonderbex » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:17 am

BladeRunner wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:And there's nothing wrong with that, I myself own more Modest Mouse albums then I'm willing to admit but I'm just not going to stand up and praise them like a commenter on a VH1 countdown show.

HeyOh! Can I get a whutwhut for all the commentators on VH1's countdown shows?

WHUT WHUT!

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:56 am

hm. i have been avoiding the live Modest Mouse scene
because i don't like watching folks get drunk on stage,
but perhaps it is time for me to give Mr. Brock a chance.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:07 pm

Perhaps....

It's odd, I was fooling with the equalizer on winamp, and Modest Mouse sounds best with the 'ska' preset.

o.O

heather

Postby heather » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:05 pm

wonderbex wrote:

HeyOh! Can I get a whutwhut for all the commentators on VH1's countdown shows?

NO.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:38 pm

i heard that their new cd has sold more than all of their previous cds COMBINED! THAT'S INSANE!

it personally took me a while to warm up to mm but i finally did. i can't say i like everything they have done but i have been impressed w/the new cd. and really i think after all the years they have had of no one except the "real indie" kids knowing who they are, they deserve all this attention.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:04 pm

BladeRunner wrote:Well it depends; I think they're insanely smart, poetic and insanely creative as far as delivering the music to my ears. I am interested and fascinated by each song and how awesomely bizarre each one is. It's the lack of depth (that I can't find anyway) that makes me say fluff.

Though attention getting and creative there is always this sense (that I get anyway) that he's just adlibbing them, just making it up as he comes along, each lyric has no special meaning with what he says. I feel like I just need to listen to the lyrics once and get the jest of it all. No need to hit the repeat button, 'cause it's all filler.

I think "awesomely bizarre" is great adjective to describe MM.

And I can see what you are saying about the adlibbing...the lyrics are very conversational...but if it's adlibbing, Brock is one of the best freestylists (freestylers?) out there.

But saying that the lyrics lack depth is something I have trouble seeing from any angle. They paint as strange and complex images as the music. They are about culture, comsumerism, religion, science, apathy, hope, anger, love, sex, human nature, and on. And they are also intelligently, self-effacingly FUNNY... talking shit about a pretty sunset? A "cowboy scene"? If you can understand MM songs in thier full complexity in one listen, then you are much smarter than I.

I'm curious to know where all this hatred comes from though. It seems to go a bit beyond the "I don't like lisp rock" or "they are boring" Seems personal. And they are "great" but you "hate them"? I'm just confused by that. Why do the Heathers hate MM? Let it out girls...

Return to “Cattywampus”