Heart Cooks Brain

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:46 pm

Betty Felon wrote:If you can understand MM songs in thier full complexity in one listen, then you are much smarter than I.

I'm curious to know where all this hatred comes from though. It seems to go a bit beyond the "I don't like lisp rock" or "they are boring" Seems personal. And they are "great" but you "hate them"? I'm just confused by that. Why do the Heathers hate MM? Let it out girls...

Well, ah, for the sake of argument, let's just say I'm just as smart as you (clearly hypothetical); I just don't see the point of looking past the lyrics, beyond into I guess whatever they're message is. They don't come across to me as trying to be deep and methodical, just loud, awesomely bizarre and extremely catchy. His freestyling ability comes across to me as a half-assed-ism. I feel like they are riding on the fact that each person will have a different interpretation of their songs, so they can ride of wave of sophistication 'cause they've written a song so deep, "it's a bottomless pit of symbolism." My love-hate part comes in, because I like awesomely bizarre stuff, but just because it's bizarre and out, doesn't automatically make it more of a masterpiece of modern contemporary music.

hovering

Postby hovering » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:27 pm

i really hate isaac brock. everything about him. his voice, his personality, his cockstar attitude, his penchant for thinking he's better than everyone. modest mouse honestly do have some songs i can listen to and have actually liked at one point or another, but in the grand scheme of things, i hate them.

i don't know about heather, though; that's just my two cents.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:14 am

BladeRunner wrote:I just don't see the point of looking past the lyrics, beyond into I guess whatever they're message is. They don't come across to me as trying to be deep and methodical, just loud, awesomely bizarre and extremely catchy. His freestyling ability comes across to me as a half-assed-ism. I feel like they are riding on the fact that each person will have a different interpretation of their songs, so they can ride of wave of sophistication 'cause they've written a song so deep, "it's a bottomless pit of symbolism."

I think you're really talking about Bush and Gavin Rossdale. =)

I like MM, and will admit to only owning The Moon and Antartica and Good News... because before that, I didn't. The two latter CDs are tighter, more focused and reach more lyrical sense than any previous work (albeit Good News better then The Moon) of thiers.

I don't understand anything about "not looking past the lyrics". The prose isn't that dense (though maybe it was in the past--I wouldn't know) that you need a microscope or have read Ulysses and all the other source material. It appears to be about mortality. A lot.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:52 am

I have Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon and Antartica, and Good News for People Who Love Bad News.

<3!

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:03 pm

wonderbex wrote:HeyOh! Can I get a whutwhut for all the commentators on VH1's countdown shows?

When's TLW's A to Z?

hovering

Postby hovering » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:46 pm

When's TLW's A to Z?

Right now. Start this shit off, good and proper, Meg.

A is for...

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:18 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:I don't understand anything about "not looking past the lyrics". The prose isn't that dense (though maybe it was in the past--I wouldn't know) that you need a microscope or have read Ulysses and all the other source material. It appears to be about mortality. A lot.

Well, lets just say I hold Modest Mouse in the same catergory that I do modern art. I know there's something more to, something possibly fancy and awe-inspiring but it looks rushed and simpified. It gets my attention, but there's no sense of majestic storytelling. Just someone shooting his mouth off about stuff.

That's how I feel about Modest Mouse. It's pretty, but it's cheap.

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:33 pm

hovering wrote:i really hate isaac brock. everything about him. his voice, his personality, his cockstar attitude, his penchant for thinking he's better than everyone. modest mouse honestly do have some songs i can listen to and have actually liked at one point or another, but in the grand scheme of things, i hate them.

I don't see how you can let a band, or a person you don't know bug you so much.

o.o

wonderbex

Postby wonderbex » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:11 pm

hovering wrote:
When's TLW's A to Z?

A is for...

um. slated for 09? HOWEVER. i would like to point out that the shirt i am wearing on a2z johnny depp is none other than that of The Long Winters. the light blue one with the rockin' thin teeshirt texture and the precut neckline.

"A is for Alaska, which is where John Roderick spent his formative years."

"Hey, what town is J-Rod from?"
[brooklyn accent] "I dunno, Alaska! (rimshot)"

"Alaska? Who comes from Alaska??? What, is he an Eskimo or something? No wonder his band is called The Long Winters! In Alaska, spring ain't ever gonna come! Ha ha ha! I bet he eats blubber."

[insert gratuitious pop culture reference and/or impression here: _____]

iheartbarsuk

Postby iheartbarsuk » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:59 pm

::points to above post:: That be funny.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:06 pm

bex, you know way too much about "pammy."

hovering

Postby hovering » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:13 pm

SlimChance wrote:
hovering wrote:i really hate isaac brock. everything about him. his voice, his personality, his cockstar attitude, his penchant for thinking he's better than everyone. modest mouse honestly do have some songs i can listen to and have actually liked at one point or another, but in the grand scheme of things, i hate them.

I don't see how you can let a band, or a person you don't know bug you so much.

o.o

i have my reasons, thanks.

heather

Postby heather » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:23 pm

that's right, heather can hate on whatever she wants.

and so can this one. [hate is a strong word, however...] isaac brock's voice makes me want to burn my eyes out and thrust my head into some sort of grinder or flattening device.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:08 pm

heather wrote:that's right, heather can hate on whatever she wants.

and so can this one. [hate is a strong word, however...] isaac brock's voice makes me want to burn my eyes out and thrust my head into some sort of grinder or flattening device.

o.k.. see I can accept that. I feel the same way about Eddie Vedder.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:12 pm

BladeRunner wrote:Well, lets just say I hold Modest Mouse in the same catergory that I do modern art. I know there's something more to, something possibly fancy and awe-inspiring but it looks rushed and simpified. It gets my attention, but there's no sense of majestic storytelling. Just someone shooting his mouth off about stuff.

That's how I feel about Modest Mouse. It's pretty, but it's cheap.

Modern Art? hmmmm.... I would maybe compare it to Pop Art, but modern art includes the peices I almost always most enjoy in a museum...Renoir, Monet. etc. Maybe you meant pop art...or contemporary.

I can agree with that. There is something very akin to pop art. But then how much can you ask of art...what the audience brings to it is a big part of it. And whats wrong with beauty for beauty's sake?

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:14 pm

hovering wrote:
When's TLW's A to Z?

A is for...

Why look!

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:45 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Modern Art? hmmmm.... I would maybe compare it to Pop Art, but modern art includes the peices I almost always most enjoy in a museum...Renoir, Monet. etc. Maybe you meant pop art...or contemporary.

I can agree with that. There is something very akin to pop art. But then how much can you ask of art...what the audience brings to it is a big part of it. And whats wrong with beauty for beauty's sake?

knowledge of music > knowledge of art

both of which are pretty meager.

Return to “Cattywampus”