switching from PC to Mac

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Kateness

switching from PC to Mac

Postby Kateness » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:29 am

..is something I'm considering. Has anyone here done it? Anyone use a Mac? What are the main differences? I'm thinking about getting an i-book but I'm worried that some of the programs I use now like Soul Seek, Paint Shop Pro and Word aren't compatible. What's the deal? Do Microsoft products work with Macs? Questions!

thanks guys

angel

Postby angel » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:52 am

PC to Mac is compatible because the people at Mac are cool. If you say, type up a paper on your Mac and try to open it on a PC, it won't work, because the people at IBM are assholes. And, I don't think Soul Seek is compatible but there may be a Mac version.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:27 am

Oh boy, don't get me started. I adore, adore all things Apple.

The Soul Seek Client for Mac OS X is called Nicotine, and it's a huge ordeal to install it (which includes installing progamming tools you won't otherwise use and some scary unix code) so don't bother.

Word works beauitifully on the Mac. And as for graphics programs, there is not a better system in the world.

Converting to Mac is a peice of cake. Learn to navigate one program, and you've learned them all. The only thing you might find hard to get used to is how easy everything is....it feels almost like you didn't do it right (wait, you mean dragging something to the trashcan actually uninstalls it? completely? really? yes.)

Best of all, though, you get to use Mac OS. It's like a good pillow or good running shoes, when you see what you were missing, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:28 am

oh yeah, and no virus'. at all. ever.

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:02 am

After a few days of inevitable hair-pulling, the mac will seem like second nature.

The apps are mostly similar to identical, although the last time I checked Soul Seek it was pretty lame. But AcqLite is nice if you like that sort of thing.

I used to try to talk people out of joining the mac fold--back when app support was spottier and os x was still wonky--but I'm confident recommending the switch to anyone with a little patience and the willingness to try something new. And that sounds like you. :)

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:45 am

I switched to the mac for video editing action in my freshman year of college. that's.....almost 6 years ago? eep. Well I've got a Titanium powerbook G4, and love it. I would be repeating everything everyone said already, so I won't. I will say that when you work on a pc (like I do at work all day ugh) going home to the awesome Mac OS IS like a pillow for your brain. If you have to constantly go back and forth, you'll find yourself trying to do things on PCs the Apple way (double clicking the top bar of a window collapses the window in Apple, and just the opposite on a PC, for an example) it just takes some time. I'd say go for it! I converted my dad! If he can do it (and he can!!) anyone can!

SlimChance

Postby SlimChance » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:47 am

I've tried OS X before, and I thought it was possibly one of the best operating systems out there. (Aside from Linux :P)

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:03 pm

Well, the Mac is no Amiga, but it's a serviceable machine.

I'm currently reacquainting myself with the platform -- Windows by day, MacIntosh by night, and always, always mourning the loss of the Commodore corporation.

Kateness

Postby Kateness » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:23 pm

Okay I'm convinced. If not soul seek, then what program is used for downloading music and movies?

Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Postby Merlin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:31 pm

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:02 pm

You would use a soulseek client called Nicotine on a Mac. The interface is pretty similar, and all the functions are about the same. I've never installed it before, so I don't know how easy it is to set it up.

More info here:
http://captnswing.net/howto/nicotine/

Babbling here:
http://slskboard.savagenews.com/index.php?showforum=12

EDIT: There's also another file sharing program called MUTE (there's a mac version available). I have it, but I've never really bothered using it before.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:21 pm

I'll stick up for my tried and true PC windows machines. A couple days ago I bought a super great Toshiba notebook, and I absolutely adore it.

Joy

Postby Joy » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:01 pm

Unremarkable wrote:I'll stick up for my tried and true PC windows machines. A couple days ago I bought a super great Toshiba notebook, and I absolutely adore it.

How are Toshibas anyway? I'm getting a laptop soon, and it's either that or a Dell.

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:35 pm

I had a job where I had to go back and forth between a mac and a pc, like seriously they were both on my desk and I would be working on them both practically at the same time. But you're totally right...I would find myself wanting to do things the mac way. I sure wish I could switch myself, and I'm sure I will someday...but while I'm still stuck in AutoCAD land, it keeps my pc around.

Kateness

Postby Kateness » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:38 pm

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... .1.0?37,12

I think I'm getting that one (and an i-pod). Good?

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:42 am

grant wrote:Well, the Mac is no Amiga, but it's a serviceable machine.

I'm currently reacquainting myself with the platform -- Windows by day, MacIntosh by night, and always, always mourning the loss of the Commodore corporation.

You and me both Grant. I had a typical C64 and then an Amiga 500 until sophmore year of high school. Those were great computers! What other platform can come up with games like "Revenge of the mutant Camels"? A goat and a camel in side scrolling, cigarette smoking fun! And it makes no sense! I miss it so!

Kateness...your link above has expired, you may have to just copy & paste the info.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:25 am

about a year ago, I was at work, and I helped a guy with an Amiga hat. Having been raised on Amiga (loudest. floppy drives. ever) I told him Iiked his hat. He informed me that he owned the company, having bought it from gateway a few years prior, and he promised big things. I think they're trying to make cell phone operating systems primarily now.

I still remember playing "Faery Tale Adventure" and the dread of some character coming to kill you; the floppy drive would make a grinding noise, and suddenly the music would get very menacing. If your character tried to duck into a building to escape, the bad guys would wait outside. If you tried to run, they'd follow you to the ends of the earth. Kind've nightmarish, really. The Secret of Monkey Island was a much more rewarding experience.

Macs and PCs are both good these days. I have a PC mostly because I like that I can build one myself, from parts, and know exactly what's inside. Apple has some very impressive Industrial Design, though.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:53 am

LoveSickJerk wrote: [What other platform can come up with games like "Revenge of the mutant Camels"?

Mindwalker.

Oh, yes.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:13 am

haha. I was raised on Apple, my first computer was an Apple IIC. I still remember learning the word "gregarious" from Oregon Trail and using it when I was 8 or 9, impressing the hell out of my teachers.

I kinda miss the oldschool rainbow Apple stickers.

Joy

Postby Joy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:38 am

Betty Felon wrote: I still remember learning the word "gregarious" from Oregon Trail

Best game EVER.

Return to “Cattywampus”