switching from PC to Mac

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:47 am

yes, it was a great game, and I played it for hours. but I always felt guilty because you would shoot the bear, and get 800 lbs of meat, but you could only carry 100 or something. what a waste.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:35 am

How about navigating the Snake River? That always sent shivers down my my little 10-yr-old spine.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 am

Joy wrote:How are Toshibas anyway? I'm getting a laptop soon, and it's either that or a Dell.

I'm very happy with my Toshiba, Helga is a trustworthy friend.
Very happy to be rid of Windows ME, XP is a lot more stable in my experience. Ugly design though.

The choice for pc for me is partly financial, Macs are just more expensive...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:04 am

Betty Felon wrote:yes, it was a great game, and I played it for hours. but I always felt guilty because you would shoot the bear, and get 800 lbs of meat, but you could only carry 100 or something. what a waste.

Oh man, I was the same way! "Why do I have to waste all this good meat?" I felt sooo guilty. I liked to shoot the squirrles, then envisioned my family wearing squirrle-skin caps and such.

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:05 am

Joy wrote:
Unremarkable wrote:I'll stick up for my tried and true PC windows machines. A couple days ago I bought a super great Toshiba notebook, and I absolutely adore it.

How are Toshibas anyway? I'm getting a laptop soon, and it's either that or a Dell.

I was making the same decision too, but settled on Toshiba because I got a pretty sweet deal from them, and they had slightly better user ratings.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:06 am

There is expensive, and then there is overpriced. And anyway:

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:06 am

To get back on the origional topic, which was (or should have been) Oregon Trail, we used to have Oregon Trail Races in the library. First one to Oregon wins. Only rule was you had to have one member of the party survive.

No rest, No hunting, No prisoners.

"Mary has contracted Cholera"
--Too bad, we ain't stoppin'

"Low food"
--No huntin', there will be plenty of food in Oregon

"Bad Water"
--Shoulda brought some beer

"Jeff has died"
--Chuck him off the wagon and keep rollin'

Number Munchers was pretty cool too.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:46 am

I've wanted to switch to Mac for some time now. I am sick of the damned virus bs. and mac's are pretty. the money thing is a problem though. as always.

but more importantly, OREGON TRAIL IS THE BEST GAME EVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

is there some new-fangled version now? I want the old school. I remember signing up on a wait list in order to play OREGON TRAIL in the library. I also played Carmen Sandiego, but only when OREGON TRAIL was not available.

omigod. how have I survived the last 12 or so years without returning to my first love? I think I need to go find the crush thread. OREGON TRAIL 4EVA

aj

Postby aj » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:47 am

P.S. normally I say ore-again, but when speaking of OREGON TRAIL, I always ore-a-gone. anybody else have this dilemma?

perhaps it's just me...

dchris

Postby dchris » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:58 am

aj wrote:P.S. normally I say ore-again, but when speaking of OREGON TRAIL, I always ore-a-gone. anybody else have this dilemma?

mmm.. idiolects. Ore-a-'gin. Always.

I played my share of Oregon Trail on many an Apple IIe, but I don't think I've ever made it to Oregon. Ever. I'm such a loser.

This must be remedied.
Last edited by dchris on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dchris

Postby dchris » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:04 pm

No You Are wrote:Number Munchers was pretty cool too.

I haven't thought about Number Munchers in ages. Until this very moment. Was Lemonade Stand an Apple game, too? (is that even what it was called?) I was pretty good at at that one.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:11 pm

dchris wrote:I played my share of Oregon Trail on many an Apple IIe, but I don't think I've ever made it to Oregon. Ever. I'm such a loser.

This must be remedied.

I bet you could do it now. We believe in you!

Unremarkable

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:34 pm

Number Munchers and Carmen Sandiego were the bomb yo!

My cousin made a techno remix of sounds from Number Munchers. It was fly.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:23 pm

Betty Felon wrote: I still remember learning the word "gregarious" from Oregon Trail and using it when I was 8 or 9, impressing the hell out of my teachers..

Meanwhile, I learned the words "typhoid" and "diphtheria" and impressed nobody.

Best was when one of your travel companions died of a broken limb. THOSE PUSSIES.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:26 pm

Incidentally, there was a game called Amazon Trail made by the same people who made Oregon Trail. I played a prototype of it as an Official Tester for Consumer Reports for Kids (jealous?). I remember you had to pick up a lot of weapons (I was a fan of the machete) and part of your job was to photograph wildlife without having it eat you. Or something.

And Carmen Sandiego is the only reason I know where Bismarck is. Which is really useful.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:35 pm

I still have no idea where Bismark is. All I learned was if there were peaches involved, it was off to Georgia.

Oh and tex-mex food. Thank god for unsucky educational software.

nonjulian

Postby nonjulian » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:24 pm

meg wrote:Incidentally, there was a game called Amazon Trail made by the same people who made Oregon Trail. I played a prototype of it as an Official Tester for Consumer Reports for Kids (jealous?). I remember you had to pick up a lot of weapons (I was a fan of the machete) and part of your job was to photograph wildlife without having it eat you. Or something.

And Carmen Sandiego is the only reason I know where Bismarck is. Which is really useful.

Ahh, Amazon Trail.

I used to spend hours on end fishing in my canoe with a spear.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:41 pm

Betty Felon wrote:I still have no idea where Bismark is. All I learned was if there were peaches involved, it was off to Georgia.

North Daktoa

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:19 am

Unremarkable wrote:My cousin made a techno remix of sounds from Number Munchers. It was fly.

If y'all released that, it would be a hit. Then you could do the Fraction Munchers Lowest Common Denomenator Remix.

Return to “Cattywampus”