a traitor in your midst

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

a traitor in your midst

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:32 pm

confession time. see, i just thought john was a good songwriter, and so i, y'know, started listening to his stuff, but I didn't know at the time...well, that this was a Star Trek Affliliated Band (TM).

And so I would go to shows, nervously hiding my Rebel Alliance tattoo, failing to mention my "Legos of the Empire" Tie-Fighter collection, my voice-activated R2 series astromech droid, etc.

it hasn't been easy.

but today, as i was exploring new my "Hyperspace" membership, i stumbled across a movie of Ewen McGregor reading lines for EPIII. He had grown in a full on "Obi-wan" beard, and i guess he needs reading glasses, coz he was wearing thickly-rimmed pair of Buddy Holly glasses. He looked up at the camera, and I had a hearty LOL.

All I'm saying is, he looked like someone we all know. It was downright creepy.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:55 pm

KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:08 pm

I understood about 2/3's of that post. What language is that? And what is this traitor business?

I've never seen a star trek film. I'm not saying I wouldn't like them, I just never checked them out. (Though that trekkie documentary intrigues me and I'm thinking of renting it.)

As to the movies, however, here's my question: is star trek something that finds you? Do you just know from the minute you lay eyes on it and this is you and you are this and you were meant to be together?

Or is the relationship one that you grow into? You give it a chance, even though you aren't that interested, or you court it even though you don't completely relate, and you slowly adapt into a mutual understanding and form lifelong bonds?

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:12 pm

I'll never understand how people could prefer 'wars' to 'trek'...

It's...just...unfathomable.

Kirk: If I get my hands on the headquarters genius that assigned me a female yeoman...
McCoy: What's the matter, Jim, don't you trust yourself?
Kirk: I've already got a female to worry about. Her name is Enterprise.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:59 pm

NatureBoy wrote:I'll never understand how people could prefer 'wars' to 'trek'...

PREFERENCE?! You imply choice, good sir...

I am a Jedi, like my father before me.

Squid

Postby Squid » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Betty Felon wrote:I understood about 2/3's of that post. What language is that? And what is this traitor business?

i'm a star wars fan*, the arch nemesis of the trekkie. did you see the "triumph the insult comic dog" sketch where he's humiliating the shit out of a bunch of star wars geeks waiting in line for EPI? the finale insult is the guy dressed as spock, flipping the bird to the entire throng. hilarious!

*though NOT a lucas apologist, that guy has a lot to answer for.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:15 pm

My heart is big enough for both.

Oh, yes.

Do you just know from the minute you lay eyes on it and this is you and you are this and you were meant to be together?

Or is the relationship one that you grow into? You give it a chance, even though you aren't that interested, or you court it even though you don't completely relate, and you slowly adapt into a mutual understanding and form lifelong bonds?

I actually believe that may be the difference between the two. Trek is based on episodes on TV -- it generally takes two or three to really understand the dynamic of the stories, the kinds of stories that are told. (The films are best thought of as disposable adjuncts to the series.) Wars, on the other hand, is really based on an epic sensibility designed to sweep the inner child off its pudgy little feet and keep the impulsive creature in a constant state of awe and amusement.

sabirah

Postby sabirah » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:27 pm

Like Betty, I haven't really seen any star trek films and am not sure I fully understood that post either. I did watch all the star wars films when I was a kid during summer camp and had a dad that would stop life to watch that weeks trek but I didn't realize trekkies and war people were enemies. This is new.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:10 am

I love both, for different reasons, similar to what was mentioned above. My thought would be that if you have to start with a star trek movie, make sure it's an even numbered one. Even though the movies came out in the same basic timeframe, star trek definitely looks more dated than star wars. On the other hand, they don't have george lucas around to monkey with things. ...and make greedo shoot first. wtf?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:09 pm

Star Wars has never really done it for me, I didn't care for Luke Skywalker nor Indiana Jones, and Princess Leia's hairstyle didn't turn me on either.

I love Star Trek, but have for a very long time refused to watch anything but the original series, because what I liked most was the goofiness of that. I succumbed in the end, and have since seen most episodes of NG, DS9 and Voyager at least twice as dinner time television. Oh well, at the moment we're back to reruns of MASH...

aj

Postby aj » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:58 pm

I haven't seen any of the movies because I loved the tv series so much that I'm not sure how I'd feel about the movies. I'll probably give in and check them out at some point.

some of my fondest memories are of watching Star Trek with my dad. I named dolls, barbies, etc. after Star Trek characters.

I haven't seen an episode for so long. I imagine the series is on dvd now. do they still run episodes on cable?

Squid

Postby Squid » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:07 pm

sabirah wrote:Like Betty, I haven't really seen any star trek films and am not sure I fully understood that post either.

Sorry, in my original post i was just naming off various geeky Star Wars items that one could own, if one were say...me. IE: I own Lego sets that look like starships, etc. And I didn't mean to imply that SW fans and ST fans are *automatic* enemies, just that it seems to be one of those things that just, uh, occurs. A lot.

Unless you are Grant, of course, who I hereby nominate as Grande Chancellor of The Long Winters Intergalactic Council, LLC. (or TLWIC)

heather

Postby heather » Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:11 pm

Why can't you love both? Hmm? I LOVE BOTH!

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:41 am

aj wrote:I haven't seen an episode for so long. I imagine the series is on dvd now. do they still run episodes on cable?

which reminds me to borrow a friends Borg box: it includes every Star Trek episode and film which involves the Borg.
brilliant stuff, some Q episodes and plenty of Seven of Nine.

I totally understand what you're saying Squid, only thing I don't understand why you'd choose Star Wars and not Star Trek... hehe!

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:59 am

I enjoyed both. But admittedly, I am more of a star trek fan than star wars. The episodes brainwashed me, and the current movies from both (excepting Star trek: nemesis) aren't really that good. Give me 2001, Blade Runner (the movie not our resident replicant) or Minority Report any day.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:37 am

Both Trekkie and Trekker, here, having grown up with the series. My mom would only let me watch one TV show a day, and I always ALWAYS chose Star Trek. I just naturally loved Rodenberry's take on the human condition, that we as a species have such enormous potential, and his unlimited optimism that the basic human capacity for goodness and fairness would always eventually triumph. How can one not love that? As stated above, the Trek movies are mostly ancillary and forgettable.

Of course, i still remember seeing the first Wars movie, on OPENING NIGHT, with an indescribable sense of anticipation, and the feeling of being so fully blown away by Lucas' special effects as I left the theatre. In the end, though, with Wars, it's all about the effects.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:46 am

I think it might make a difference that I didn't see the Star Wars movies in a cinema, on a tv screen it just doesn't come across. My husband did see the films back in the day, and his father brought him Star Wars dolls from the States, and he was hooked for life. He also likes Star Trek though.

As with Star Trek films, those don't even make it to the cinema here, I think. The only one I really love is First Contact, with James Cromwell as Zefram Cochrane. He's a fine actor, he is.

What I like about it, is how geeky you can get in your love for these. It's perfect for evenings of quizes, dressing up as weird aliens (would anyone care for a Jabba the Hut outfit though?) or practising the Live Long and Prosper hand sign.
Blimey, I should join a Star Trek board, I guess.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:52 am

oddly enough, i can do the live long and prosper thing with my toes, but not my fingers.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:45 am

Nimoy actually stole the hand position from a traditional Jewish prayer posture. On one level, the Vulcans are all rabbis.

angel

Buffy

Postby angel » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:34 am

I know this is a little off the subject but up until a year ago, I thought that Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans were like trekies. I never understood how you could like a TV show sooooo much. Now that I'm hooked on Buffy & especially Angel, I have a completely new respect for Star Trek folks.

Return to “Cattywampus”