Musical Childhood

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Musical Childhood

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:14 am

Tell me about your musical first love.

Tell me the story of how you were shown music or how you discovered it. And the first song or band that really touched you, or made you dance, or made you daydream, or made you whatever music makes you. Or perhaps how you discovered your indie options (and by that I mean stuff not in the usual outlets) and why you chose to continue exploring.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:50 am

this is a tough one.

as I was trying to recall my earliest music experiences, I did remember what may very well have been my first misheard lyric. my mom and I were rocking out to starship and I asked her, "I dont get it. why would you see a pair of dice in someone's eyes?"

I'll keep thinking.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:20 am

that's easy- Tchaikovsky, as i was a dancer, and quite serious about it, from an early age. and i performed in quite a few operas as a child, so i was exposed to the classics early on. In terms of popular music, i vividly recall lying on the floor in the living room listening to my stepdad's REEL TO REEL of The Mommas And The Poppas, Peter Paul and Mary, Cat Stevens, CCR, Crosby Stills n Nash, Neil Young, and Fleetwood Mac. I guess I had it pretty good. And I still have the very first piece of vinyl i ever purchased for myself-Talking Heads '77.

L u c y
Current Heading: South

Postby L u c y » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:20 am

when i was five my family went on a sabbatical to england and to shut my sister and me up in the car, my mother gave us each a beatles tape for our *walkmens* i remember getting yelled at by my sister for singing outloud.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:24 am

ha, good one. we drove to Atlanta one time, and my dad played Willie's The Red Headed Stranger over and over the whole trip-i still love it to this day.

aj

Postby aj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:32 am

My dad was obsessed with Rocky Raccoon. He also introduced me to Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens and CCR.

Other than fishing, the greatest thing I did with my dad was go see Dylan for a belated father's day celebration.

I love my mom to death, but as far as music goes, I ended up siding with my father. It took a few years though. It was far easier to sing along to pop as a 5 year old.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:39 am

I was a professional DJ in high school. I listened to music all the time for mix tapes on my paper route and basically for my weekend job.
Mired in pop crap for 3 or so years, I can tell you music took off for me when I re-discovered 'Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?'. 'Merrymakers' held me so tightly, because the music I was listening to didn't reference literature, or paint such suggestive pictures of how I was thinking; it went beyond clever. I was beyond clever (or am, or whatever, I like to think so), and I was pushed to be as such in my own music. Music had always shown up in my other work by that point (illustration, short stories, essays, papers), like any good high school student. But it was never so permanently shaping until I made some my self.
I formed a band with a co-worker or 3 (or at times 4), and learned tons of shit about music. That puts me into college, sophomore year I believe. While in PC Load Letter, I looked for more influences and styles to incorporate into songwriting, and I just collected and collected. When we broke up the band, I kept on looking to expand my horizons and find new good sounding stuff.
I would go on, but, I've rambled enough as it is.
Last edited by LoveSickJerk on Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:40 am

oh geez, while I was writing my last post, about seven people posted and rendered it obsolete. hahaha.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:11 pm

In middle school, I was the kid who got a special pass from the band director so I could come in early in the mornings and hang in the band room. Lunch hour too. I was a quintessential 'band geek.'

Then one day in high school I sat and listened to some stoners playing Nirvana on their electrical guitars over lunch hour and I said "I have to learn guitar. I must start a band."

And I did.

The end. (or beginning?)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:21 pm

first musical memory: Battle hymn of the republic, dutch version, at a camp site - I have no idea why it was played there, but I loved the Glory glory halleluja part.

first music I was passionate about: Abba, would desperately wait for the albums to come out and played them to death. and I also first had the feeling of disappointment on first hearing, but loving the album afterwards - something I have had ever since with my favourite artists

first artist I listened to for the lyrics: Nik Kershaw. seems kinda funny in hindsight, but I didn't think it was soggy stuff then.

As for indie stuff, don't really know when that started, it sort of blended in. I do remember hearing the first radio show that played stuff that was definitely un-mainstream, and I remember being intrigued by stuff like Coil, even though it was a bit too early for me to let go of my pop taste.
In my childhood I think there was a lot of good stuff in the charts, like The Jam, Cheap Trick, Joe Jackson, Blondie, Talking Heads, there seemed less of a division between mainstream and 'good music'.

I had a temporary phase of "feeling too good for pop" around 17-18, sold my Abba records and was a snob about stuff like The Smiths, R.E.M. and The Pixies - man, I must have been horrible to be around at the time.

A few years later I bought back all the Abba albums, happily alongside Nirvana (which to me was the ultimate crossover of music entering the charts that I never imagined could appeal to a large audience), loud guitarstuff, sweet indiepop, country, eurodisco, whatever.

This was too tempting, but I really should finish packing

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:01 pm

sigh. it was the beatles for me. but let me elaborate...

when i was in 4th grade, there was a show on tv called "life goes on," which, of course, used "obladi oblada" as its theme song. but for the show, unfortunately, they used a cover version. but either way, i really liked the song, and when my mom came to know this, gave me a tape of the white album. i then proceeded to play out this tape's copy of "obladi oblada" - mostly over across the alley at the vacant lot while climbing in the trees. but strangely enough, i didn't listen to any of the other songs.

cut to the fall of 8th grade. i don't know if it was the whole "anthology" release or what (i think it was, actually), but i got into the beatles hardcore right around then. this consisted of everything from watching the tape we made of the anthology nearly every day after school for a few months to writing white album lyrics on my confirmation class (that i was forced to attend) papers, to listening to my mom's old beatles records as often as i could, to nearly ruining the white album tape from repeated listens. and then i began to acquire the CDs. the first i got was "rubber soul." and man, did i love it.

and i still do.

dchris

Re: Musical Childhood

Postby dchris » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Any similarity to experiences already posted is purely coincidence.

How far back am I gonna go with this? Eh, how about 1993 or so, when "alternative" music was huge? This was the beginning of Christine really being impassioned and motivated and in love with music. And, anything local DJ Kevin Stewart (I think his name was) would put on his little high school radio show would get recorded onto cassette tapes and it's a time I remember well. So, like, any single from 1992-1995 that got alternative radio play was on my cassette tapes from Pearl Jam to James to the Flaming Lips. My favorite band was Stone Temple Pilots, and while I want to cringe at that now, I can't. Put on <i>Core</i> to this day, and I'm still just a confused eighth-grader in love with Scott Weiland. Looking back, I only really skimmed the surface and missed the best of what was going on musically back then, but I was thirteen. Give me a break.

It was around the time I got to tenth grade that popular radio had moved on and wasn't providing anything that interested me. I had a friend (Sari) who was really into the Beatles, and the Beatles Anthology madness was just on the brink. I fell head-first into that, where I stayed for the next couple years. (In the 11th grade, in my biology class, I would spend the lecture time trying to list all the Beatles songs from memory on the front of my notebook.) Anything Beatles, or any Beatles solo work, or even very marginally Beatley (oh how I lovelovelove Sean Lennon) became the music I lived for. And, um, not much else.

My first year in college (before I dropped out the first time), in early 1999, I first heard <i>Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?</i> I was in a local record store, browsing for solo Beatle work, naturally, when the entire record was being played in the store. Given that I hadn't been paying any attention to new music at that time, it was completely out of left-field for me, and I bought it very soon after. And became obsessed with it. And then forgot about it. And then found it again.

It still took me a while to find out that music existed beyond what was fed to me on the radio stations. A long while. Like, very very recently. But Harvey Danger was the gateway to that.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:27 am

One of my professors, while teaching us criticism through Hamlet, told us of a novel (whose name and author I've forgotten) where the protagonist is a a professor trying to attain tenure at a university. He's in the english department, but has never read Hamlet. Its his dirty secret.
It is time to confess that I never listened to a Beatles album until I was in college (the PC Load Letter stages) and to this day I own only one CD (no vinyl, no tapes): Abbey Road. Ok, I'm glad I got that off my chest.
*Prepares for his stoning*

Like_a_zero

Musical Childhood

Postby Like_a_zero » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:51 am

Well my musical interests were heavily influenced my my older brother, everymorning before he went to school or what ever he used to play "Free" fire and water album, without even realising really i became hooked, after a while i explored my dads vinyl collection of led zep and hendrix stuff. At an early age i was pretty into old school rock. I find that when i went on holiday as a child i would listen to a tape over and over again, one of them was a "Kinks" best of, another was a They Might be Giants album that my sister was into, another holiday was devoted to Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Chili's which kindof appealled to my love of guitar riffs and stuff.
Sadly i used to play the trumpet when i was younger but that started to piss me off and my heart wasnt really in it, a couple of years later i found the guitar my brother gave up playing when he was 10 and and i never really quit practicing.
A few years ago now a friend of a friend who used to go to America a lot brought back Harvey Danger's Merrymakers album, i made a copy of it and listened to it solidly for about 2 years. My band mates got me into Brendan Benson. It wasnt til then i scoured the net, found out where Sean had been hiding and fell in love with the Long Winters, since then a great deal of what i listen to is Harvey Danger, The shins, Long Winters and Nada Surf

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:56 pm

mine is the same as chelsea. the beatles were my first "love".

my love of music came from my dad. i grew up on what would now be considered "classic rock". how the beatles came to be my obsession i don't quite remember, but i used to always save my allowance so dad could take me to the record store and i could buy their albums. i think they were followed closely by the monkees.

i'm not sure how i came to find indie rock really. i guess it depends what you wanna call indie. how about when i went to the first lollapalooza and then started listening to THE END in 92? but grunge soon followed that so i guess that doesn't count.
i had to wait until i was 21 so i could really start seeing local shows and really all i was waiting for was being able to see the posies all the time. which i did. and then i followed super deluxe....big time.
i had a friend who hung out at what was the off ramp a lot and she met guys in bands and would go to their shows and sometimes i would go too. it's one of those things where you start at one point and then the circle gets bigger and bigger. you start seeing one band and then they are friends w/this band that they play shows with. you follow them and then so on and so forth. it started w/the cunninghams and faned out from there. she also ended up managing a band and same thing there. followed that band and so on. the only thing is...none of those bands were really indie.
i think the indie thing really started when i saw peter parker for the first time. they played a showcase for THE END where each band had a member that worked at the station. i started out disliking pp but by the end of their set i couldn't help it, they were too catchy. i bought their demo tape and followed them. from there i saw harvey danger, death cab and nevada bachelors many times since they all played the same bills together. i think it just kept going from there.

it also didn't hurt that i dated a boy in an indie band for about 2 years.

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:16 pm

Early in Jr High I found all my parent's records and a turntable. One of the first ones I put on was Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's 'Deja Vu'. I'd never heard anything like it; it choked me up.

After that was the Neil Young's 'Harvest' album. I digested those two records for months before moving through the rest of their collection.

So while everyone in Jr High and High school were listening to Metallica, I was listening to what radio stations call 'classic rock'.

Fi

Postby Fi » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:31 pm

My Dad was stationed in New Guinea to work for the Port Moresby Police, from when I was 4 to 7 years old. There was no TV. Mum and Dad brought with them the stereo, and their 4 favourite albums:

Carole King - Tapestry
Chet Atkins - For The Good Times
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Elton John - Madman Across the Water

That was the only rock/pop music I heard pretty much, during my early-ish childhood.
Last edited by Fi on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepprmntelephant

Postby Pepprmntelephant » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:59 am

I was and still am influenced by my dad. We like practically all the same music. I was really into the White Stripes and started exploring more indie rock bands. My dad has intoduced me to the smiths, bob dylan, neil young, pink floyd and such. It's really cool cuz he always takes me to shows.

Jeroen

Postby Jeroen » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:05 am

I was lucky enough to fall in love with Neil Young... I stole a cd from my father wich was called the lost tapes.
There´s a song on that album called: Come my 18th birthday.
I was listening to that song and suddenly my eyes began to water, (corny I know) but I finally realised that it´s emotion that will make a song great...
After that it became bob dylan, van morrison, nick cave and lou reed.
I still think Neil Young is the greatest, but lately I seem to listen more and more to The Long Winters
Bride and Bridle is soo beautifal.
anyway that´s just me

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:04 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:It is time to confess that I never listened to a Beatles album until I was in college (the PC Load Letter stages) and to this day I own only one CD (no vinyl, no tapes): Abbey Road. Ok, I'm glad I got that off my chest.
*Prepares for his stoning*

*stones LSJ*

do i NEED to send you an ALL BEATLES mix CD??? DO I???

Return to “Cattywampus”