I'm new!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Pepprmntelephant

I'm new!

Post by Pepprmntelephant »

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here! I have only recently fallen madly in love with The Long Winters. Although my true loves are The Decemberists! My first love was The White Stripes. Yeah, so that's that. Anyway, I had heard about The Long Winters before, but they blew me away at The El Rey in LA! I haven't been able to get enough of them ever since. I am waiting, very impatiently, for them to come back around. I don't know if any of you know that you can download The Long Winters and also The Decemberists ring tones at katazo.com! I have Blue Diamonds right now and never want to answer my phone! Just thought you all should know. :) Sorry I blabbed on forever.

-Kel
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

hello to you, and welcome to the board. And I began you magical, mystical quest with a question:

Have you always referred to Orange County as "the O.C." or have you only done it recently by advent of the FOX show of the same name? I only bring this up, Boy of South-East LA, because I have never, ever referred to Orange County as suck, and actually foam at the mouth apon the pleasure kids from Fullerton proudly proclaiming their O.C.-dom, as if people from Iowa will make the distinction between Los Angeles County, Orange County and the greater Southern California region.

oh, and people from Ventura are weird.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

oh my god, the ring tones. oh my god.
Pepprmntelephant

Only after the show do I refer to the O.C. as the O.C. it's easier to type and i also think it's hilarious that we have a "nickname" b/c of the show, there's so much hype about "the O.C." now and it's kind of ridiculous. And i just think it's funny in my own weird sort of way. I'm a major dork! I also must truthfully admit that i watch the show, don't judge me! :)
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

I was at that show at the El Rey! Hi! We probably didn't meet at all, haha.

I have never in my life, called it the 'O.C.', but I do now, tongue in cheek. I LOVE THAT SHOW. It's all about the Seth Cohen. They should just call it The S.C.
Pepprmntelephant

Oh yes, it's all about Seth! My sister actually got to meet him! I was so jealous! Anyway, where were you at the show? I was on the right side of the stage. I was right behind this guy, Kyle, who was dancing. It was an awesome show!
smelllikelime

Post by smelllikelime »

Holy crap, my friend Kayte was right next to him and I was right next to her. Were you with a group of youngish girls? I was wearing really big, red shoes, a black skirt and a black shirt.

(Kyle is on here too, he's emotrashcanafterthought, or something like that.)
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie here!

Hey, so am I. I fell in love with TLW the old fashioned way... listened to their record in the recordstore.
After that I went to a Long Winters show in Austerlitz in the netherlands.
Got to see what a great guy John is, he took like half an hour to answer questions from the audience.
I went home feeling so darn happy, plus I got their first album.
I hope they´ll be back soon.
not a long winter at al

Post by not a long winter at al »

jeroen wrote:Hey, so am I.

hello jeroen and kel!

jeroen; it's nice to meet some more Dutch people here.
how many of us are there right now?

i know just the one who might know the answer... Liesbeth???
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I actually saw Liesbeth in Austerlitz... John pointed her out as being a good friend...
I remember thinking: soo that´s Liesbeth!

This is by far THE most uninteresting story I´ve ever told.
sorry guys..
But Hey it´s good to be here
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

hey, it's getting gezellig here!
There have been quite a few Dutch people posting over the last year, with TLW touring our parts so much, but I don't know how many check back regularly...

Hey Jeroen, are you in this audience picture by any chance? (it takes a while to load, didn't size it down,sorry).
I'm pretty sure that I have seen you, but I just don't know which of the 37 audience members you were!
As for the record shop thing, what made you try their record, I wonder, had you heard of the band, or did you fall for the pretty artwork, or...?
kthxdielove

Post by kthxdielove »

Hi Kel and kinda sorta Welcome=]
TLW are awesome<3 never had the pleasure to see them live, you should banish me =x
ok bye<3
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

jumping back to those ringtones, that's quite amazing.
doesn't this mean something in this day and age, if your music is made into a ringtone?
imagine sitting on a train or walking down the street, and hearing TLW on someone's phone, I would fall off my chair (or off the curb)

cheesy as the keyboard sounds are, Blue Diamonds still has me bouncing on the couch, and Stupid actually still sounds really good, a credit to the song itself, I'll say.
the monophonic ringtones are aweful though, and even if my life depended on it, I would not have recognized Blue Diamonds from it.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Hey Jeroen, are you in this audience picture by any chance?

I am!!!! all the way to the right. We were the guys who could not stop smoking.

As for my getting to know the Long Winters...
I have a great record shop in Ede, wich has just about all the music I want to hear (and much more).
So I just walked in and said what do you have for me today?
They gave me the Long Winters.. I listened to them... I felt happy and fell in love...
If thats not a good reason to buy the CD I don´t know what is...

Then I went to this website, saw that they were coming to Holland, called up a friend and we went to the show.
He became a fan as did his girlfriend. (his girlfriend is more or less adicted to them now)
Now I´m waiting for a new CD or more shows...
thats about it....
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

ah, then I do remember seeing you, you guys were into it, most definitely!

As for the record shop: whoah! My parents live in Ede and I never ever would have guessed that town has a good record shop. I think I will recover from this shock, but give me some time.
Squid

Post by Squid »

welcome peppermint e., and thank you for the ringtones heads up.

have you guys previewed them yet? GENIUS!

...too bad i'm on Verizon.