Music is moral law

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

angel

Music is moral law

Postby angel » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:00 pm

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends life to all that is good and just and beautiful."

I guess Plato was listening to The Long Winters.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:10 am

"The Master said, 'Be stimulated by the Odes, take your stand on the rites and be perfected by music.'" - Analects of Confucius, VIII:8

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:13 am

"All art constantly aspires towards the condition of music. For while in all other works of art it is possible to distinguish the matter from the form, and the understanding can always make this distinction, yet it is the constant effort of art to obliterate it." -- Walter Pater

"Music's content is magic, its form mythical. The essential core of magical existence is integrated into a spiritual order. To infer from the affinity between music and magic that music originated in the world of magic is falacious. Music did not originate in magic; it originated precisely because of the loss of the world of magic, following the law of all living development that each succssive stage must incorporate the modes of existence of the preceding one. Speech and music are not antagonists representing two developmental stages, one of which superseded the other. Our discussion of the word-tone relationship in song has shown that the two work together, not one against the other; that they are not at cross-purposes, but enhance each other. Words divide, tones unite. The unity of existence that the word constantly breaks up, dividing thing from thing, subject from object, is constantly restored in the tone. Music prevents the world from being entirely transformed into language, from becoming nothing but object, and prevents man from becoming nothing but subject. Nor can the word aim at this; the objectifying word needs the tone, demands it: the freer the words are to perform their task of objectification." - Victor Zuckerkandl, 1956.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:17 am

Hey Grant, you particularly would enjoy Zuckerkandl's book, The Sense of Music. Chapter 2, Man the Musician, is amazing.

We should have a online Seminar on it. Who's down for hardcore philosophical discussion?

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:59 am

That does sound interesting. I'm not sure I agree about that bit on magic, but I might have a different understanding of what magic is.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:32 am

yeah, I tried to slip that past y'all. I have noidea what that magic business is, it's not something I noticed when I read the book. I just pulled this quote from the interweb since the book is at home.

One of the important arguents of the books is that music is inherent to being human. It's a very interesting argument, and concerns folk music. Good stuff.

aj

Postby aj » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:36 am

sounds interesting. I'm all for a philosophical forum.

we can start out with music and then get all drunk and philosophize about love. ahh... I love philosophy. if I weren't a woman I would have totally fit in with those old dudes.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:51 am

I wouldn't get along with them at all. Plato was a bit of a facist. (The Noble Lie?) And he wrote about how music was dangerous and corrupted the youth. The first Tipper Gore, if you will. Aristotle was even worse. (born slaves?) I have this love/hate relationship with the Greeks/Romans. I love them, I love them, but Socrates was a shark.

I might get along with Aristophanes. And Plutarch. And Cato the Younger was rockin' awesome. But I dont think they count as philosophers.

Speaking of drunk think, the Persians belivied that getting drunk was the best way to get new, creative, ideas. Generals in the army got wasted and made up new strategy. And they were pretty darn successful.

But i like the music/love connection.

All of it, you know, the whole thing, everything....is about love.

hmmmm....I'm so off topic at this point that I can't find my way out. What was this thread about again?

aj

Postby aj » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:02 pm

oh no, I wouldn't have agreed with them.

I would have fit in.

in that get wasted and sit around and argue and philosophize about things way.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:25 pm

music is vibrating air, said a modern-day philosopher (well, actually it was Ken Stringfellow, and it was in a long entry and I'm taking this out of context totally) but my point would be that talking about music is in a way so beside the point, because music goes where words don't go.

ah, that's why I spend so much time on a music bulletin board, I guess.
did I just talk myself in a corner? no, ms Felon to the rescue, the reason I'm on this board is to share the love - thank you Betty.

did the greeks drink cider? I salute you all with another little glass as a nice nightcap.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:28 am

Correct me if I'm wrong:"Anything too stupid to be said is sung." -Voltaire

Return to “Cattywampus”