don't panic

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

don't panic

Post by Moni »

... but I thought this was interesting...

Mount St. Helens Notice of Volcanic Unrest
U.S. Geological Survey Cascades Volcano Observatory, Vancouver, Washington
September 26, 2004 3:00 P.M., PDT

Seismic activity at Mount St. Helens has changed significantly during the past 24 hours and the changes make us believe that there is an increased likelihood of a hazardous event, which warrants release of this Notice of Volcanic Unrest. The swarm of very small, shallow earthquakes (less than Magnitude 1) that began on the morning of 23 September peaked about mid-day on 24 September and slowly declined through yesterday morning. However, since then the character of the swarm has changed to include more than ten larger earthquakes (Magnitude 2-2.8), the most in a 24-hr period since the eruption of October 1986. In addition, some of the earthquakes are of a type that suggests the involvement of pressurized fluids (water and steam) or perhaps magma.
more

And that's what it looks like:

Seismic data 09/26/2004 (00) St. Helens dome Station
Same date/time, St. Helens South Ridge

Ta-daah!
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Oh man! Reason #4 why I'm happy to live in Buffalo: No volcano.
Moni

Post by Moni »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Oh man! Reason #4 why I'm happy to live in Buffalo: No volcano.

But Joseph! Volcanoes are awesome!
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Yes and they also spew red hot MAGMA. (imagine pretty good Dr. Evil impression here)
Moni

Post by Moni »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Yes and they also spew red hot MAGMA. (imagine pretty good Dr. Evil impression here)

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Eh, I'm not worried about Mt. St. Helens, it's only like 1/2 a mountain now. The real volcano to worry about is Mt. Ranier...
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Mt. Rainier will soon kill us all
miriyummy

Post by miriyummy »

i was there on the 6th, and they had had a small quake on the 5th, and as i was standing next to the seismograph, there was a small aftershock! it was so cool (i'm a little bit of a geology nut). i was a little worried about the implacations of such an event, but i thought that it was probably nothing.
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

quit trying to scare me!!! i swear you are all over the place w/this. i can't escape it!

actually it's like they said, i don't fear helen but i do fear the rainier. right now i don't fear either. at least, i mean, there is nothing to tell me to be afraid of rainier.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

i've always feared mt. st. helens more than mt. rainier.
Moni

Post by Moni »

Unremarkable wrote:Eh, I'm not worried about Mt. St. Helens, it's only like 1/2 a mountain now.

That doesn't make an eruption less likely, rather the contrary:

Q: Which Cascade volcano will erupt next?
A: No one knows for sure, but seven of them have erupted in just the past 200 years: Mount St. Helens (1800-1857 and 1980-1986), Lassen Peak (1914-1917), Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, Mount Rainier, Mount Hood, and Mount Shasta. Any of these could be the next to erupt, though the odds are highest at Mount St. Helens. Or the next eruption could come from a new vent entirely. During the past few thousand years, there have been dozens of eruptions in areas between the known volcanoes from vents scattered throughout the Cascade Range.
(From a Q&A with the US Geological Survey)

quit trying to scare me!!! i swear you are all over the place w/this. i can't escape it!

Nonono, don't be worried, it's apparently just venting some hazardous gas and there might be just a small eruption, you're way too far away to be worried!

And even if one of the Cascade volcanoes is going to erupt, it's not gonna happen so quickly that there won't be time to warn/evacuate people from the endangered area.

How far is Mt. Rainier from Seattle? I only know that theoretically you'd have such a nice view to it from the waterfront, if it wasn't for those two silly stadiums!
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

I hope all you Seattle-ites don't blow up.

Don't have to worry about that here... we just have to dodge the twistas.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Ha! We've still got none of that stuff.
Snow? Yeah. But that shit melts.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Liz wrote:
Unremarkable wrote:Eh, I'm not worried about Mt. St. Helens, it's only like 1/2 a mountain now.

That doesn't make an eruption less likely, rather the contrary:

Q: Which Cascade volcano will erupt next?
A: No one knows for sure, but seven of them have erupted in just the past 200 years: Mount St. Helens (1800-1857 and 1980-1986), Lassen Peak (1914-1917), Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, Mount Rainier, Mount Hood, and Mount Shasta. Any of these could be the next to erupt, though the odds are highest at Mount St. Helens. Or the next eruption could come from a new vent entirely. During the past few thousand years, there have been dozens of eruptions in areas between the known volcanoes from vents scattered throughout the Cascade Range.
(From a Q&A with the US Geological Survey)

I don't doubt that Mt. St. Helens would be the next to erupt, but it would be nothing the the previous one. If and when Ranier goes, it's going to be huge, and it's going to destroy Seattle.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Unremarkable wrote:I don't doubt that Mt. St. Helens would be the next to erupt, but it would be nothing the the previous one. If and when Ranier goes, it's going to be huge, and it's going to destroy Seattle.

Not to mention Tacoma, my town :)

Puyallup would be in poor shape too. And Auburn, Kent, Renton... basically everything in that valley. It'd be bad.

But oh so rock and roll. I can't wait.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

My children will visit the hollow shells of your lava covereded bodies, frozen in time, running, screaming. Just think how fascinating you will be!
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Ha! We've still got none of that stuff.

but you have Bush for president, you're still in the danger zone, mister.
but then again I guess the whole world is.

I must say that I've always felt happy to live somewhere with little chance of big natural disasters. We fight water, of course, but I live in that part of the country that's not below sea level...
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

LoveSickJerk wrote:Ha! We've still got none of that stuff.

When people say it rains too much in Washington I just say "Well you don't have to shovel rain!"
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

Mt. Shasta > Washington State mountains
heather

Post by heather »

bah! i haven't felt any quakes. i fear no measly mountain.