(sigh) Squid needs a hug. [...on the *spiritual* life]

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

(sigh) Squid needs a hug. [...on the *spiritual* life]

Post by Squid »

So you know, I'm looking for a job and all, so I can't be my usual single malt snob-self.* I can't even be my usual Maker's Mark snob self. And so: I had managed to find shelter for myself with an old friend from high school. His name is Jack Daniels.

At least. He WAS my friend. Until now:

September 28, 2004 -- JACK Daniel's has sparked outrage among serious drinkers by unceremoniously lowering the proof of its famous Tennessee Whiskey from 86 to 80. The change — which means the hooch has 3 percent less alcohol — has riled those still smarting from the "betrayal" of 15 years ago when the company lowered the strength of its 90-proof, 138-year-old original recipe, to 86 proof. Frank Kelly Rich, editor of Modern Drunkard magazine (and a contributor to The Post's Sunday books section), has taken up the cause along with "alert drunkard" Chris Sharp, who was apparently the first to notice the switch. Sharp has started an online petition and boycott with the magazine's backing "designed to right this grievous wrong." Distillery rep Roger Brashears told us, "We researched it and decided the majority of people wanted a less potent drink." Rich writes, "Jack Daniel's is, of course, a private corporation and they can do whatever the hell they want," but called the alcohol dilution "unfathomable blasphemy. They can lower the proof to zero and call it lemonade if they like. But that doesn't mean we have to drink it."

Here's the editorial from Modern Drunkard...

(sigh) And don't tell me to drink Early Times. Just. Don't.

*I realize having mentioned single malts that a bunch of people are going to call me elitist coz I don't drink PBR or something. Not true, dude. I don't drink beer so I gots to drink something...
miriyummy

Post by miriyummy »

i feel yer pain. jack daniels always has a way of making my evenings more, hmm, interesting? i betcha the price won't be comming down with the proof. those bastages.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

snob? hardly. It's single malt Scotch only fer me. And Jameson's when no one's looking. My friend brought me back from the homeland the official, authorized Robert Burns single malt, from the Isle of Arran, which is nice, but it's only a five year. So I tucked it behind the 18 year Glenlivet, and the 15 year Balvenie.

Interestingly, as the JD proof comes down, the ads seem to be getting more expensive looking. There are huge, expensive billboards popping up all over town lately.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Just to ease the pain, I will tell you a good story about Jack Daniels.

Like most every company, I assume, a bunch of middle managers come up with these messed up ideas. But every corporation is full of great people hiding in the shadows, tolerating those idiots, refusing to read Who Moved My Cheese.

A friend of mine had an encounter with a decent human who works for Jack Daniels. Said friend wrote an inspired love letter to the company responding to a footnote that said, "for more information please write to the following address..." Apparently, no one ever writes.

The letter reached the hands of an low level technical writer. The writer was so happy to be recognized for her thankless job, that she not only send gobs of beautiful literature, posters, promo trinkets, and a hand written thank-you-for asking letter, said friend has also received a full CASE of Jack Daniels every year for the past five years.

Which I think is amazingly cool...
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

yowza, that's certainly giving me ideas.
Laura Suzanne

Post by Laura Suzanne »

that sounds like some version of heaven.

...except that i don't like jack daniel's...
Squid

Post by Squid »

no pic wrote:snob? hardly. It's single malt Scotch only fer me. And Jameson's when no one's looking. My friend brought me back from the homeland the official, authorized Robert Burns single malt, from the Isle of Arran, which is nice, but it's only a five year. So I tucked it behind the 18 year Glenlivet, and the 15 year Balvenie.

oohoohooh! it's single malt talkin' time! what say ye to Talisker? Some would say it's like sucking on a charcoal briquette, but it is my absolute favorite. Smoke malts are true bliss. There's a shop here in SF that has a bottle of 50 year. <drool>

Betty Felon wrote:said friend has also received a full CASE of Jack Daniels every year for the past five years.

Which I think is amazingly cool...

Good God, if i could get that going at Maker's Mark...well...I'd never leave the house, basically. It would be me, my crate of Maker's, several 2liters of club soda, and a basket of limes.

Uh, I'm making myself sound *really* bad, aren't I? Whatevah!
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Squid wrote: Smoke malts are true bliss.

I personally think that in drinking whisky the only thing smoking should be the fireplace, but single malt is definitly the way to go.

I also drink glenlivet but sadly I´m to poor to pay for the 18 year old, so I have to make do with the 12 year old. :-(

What a sad way to live, right?
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Squid wrote:Good God, if i could get that going at Maker's Mark...well...I'd never leave the house, basically. It would be me, my crate of Maker's, several 2liters of club soda, and a basket of limes.

Uh, I'm making myself sound *really* bad, aren't I? Whatevah!

Or you could have a typewriter in there and end up like Faulkner.
Squid

LOL

Post by Squid »

GRANT!

Nice pun.

The TLW board has gone, erm, deus ex machina!
Squid

Post by Squid »

LoveSickJerk wrote: Or you could have a typewriter in there and end up like Faulkner.

see, i was thinking dylan thomas..but i think this faulkner thing suits me.

Eeeeexceeeellent.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

aaah, finally a topic I can really get into.

Sometimes smokey is OK, but I really don't like the ones that taste as though the floor sweepings have been added, Lafroihg (sp?) comes to mind. I really disliked it, so I don't remember how to spell it.

In the spring, I am touring the Highlands, and I have already prepared the BF that the trip will be made by way of the distilleries. I cannot wait.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: LOL

Post by grant »

Squid wrote:GRANT!

Nice pun.

The TLW board has gone, erm, deus ex machina!

Well, *that* sort of thing falls under regular moderator duties on one of the other boards I frequent, where "on-topic-ness" and searchability are really considered sort of sacred. Topic names that say something about contents, you know. The topics there actually have abstracts.

ee, i was thinking dylan thomas..but i think this faulkner thing suits me.

"Eighteen whiskies -- I think that's a record." -- actual last words, Dylan Thomas.

I was thinking of that Laphroaig myself, but I'm not much a drinking man myself, so it would seem hypocritical. Occasional sips of port (red or tawny) and Drambuie notwithstanding.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

no pic wrote:In the spring, I am touring the Highlands, and I have already prepared the BF that the trip will be made by way of the distilleries. I cannot wait.

Now that sounds good!

My last time in Scotland we stayed at a lovely cottage, but miles from anywhere. I was the only one with a driver's license, and with my low tolerance for alcohol that meant I never got to drink much at all. Not fair.

I'm not really into Scotch though, I really prefer Irish. Nice and smooth.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

You should all be pleased to note that a poster was presented yesterday titled "Increased Bone Mineral Density in Men Who Drink Beer, and Post-Menopausal Women Who Drink Wine." Unfortunately, the amounts were moderate (1-2 glasses a day). And whiskey did not have the same effect. :(
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

no pic wrote:You should all be pleased to note that a poster was presented yesterday titled "Increased Bone Mineral Density in Men Who Drink Beer, and Post-Menopausal Women Who Drink Wine." Unfortunately, the amounts were moderate (1-2 glasses a day). And whiskey did not have the same effect. :(

why is it that men don't have to wait till their midlife crisis for the beneficial effect?
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

the short answer? Men don't go through menopause. Also, people don't tend to collect BMD data on pre-menopausal women, although that is changing. We are learning that the accrual of peak bone mass for women in their late 20s/30s is crucial. I wonder how much funding I can get to study the effects of beer/wine in this group. I wouldn't have any trouble enrolling subjects!
Squid

Re: LOL

Post by Squid »

grant wrote:Well, *that* sort of thing falls under regular moderator duties on one of the other boards I frequent, where "on-topic-ness" and searchability are really considered sort of sacred. Topic names that say something about contents, you know. The topics there actually have abstracts.

Well, sure if you're on the "Brainac Things That Grant and 15 other Forensic Scientists Know" boards. Man, I'm a simple-minded chick. I'm only on indie-rock boards and lists. If you changed someone's topic on one of those you're likely to get some angry drunk dude flaming you at 3am...

"YO THIS IS BOB and I was gonna tell you how High on Fire totally SHREDDED AND DESTROYED MY WERLD at bottom of the hill tonite except that some fascist totally f*$#$N changed my post! dude is this like nazi fascist russia* or sumthing?! F*CK tha police!"

grant wrote:I was thinking of that Laphroaig myself, but I'm not much a drinking man myself, so it would seem hypocritical. Occasional sips of port (red or tawny) and Drambuie notwithstanding.

Damn. If three tropical storm disasters landing on your doorstep doesn't make you need to drink, I guess nothing will. I myself would be holed up in the nearest airport bar, my eyes peeled for outbound flights.

*"nazi fascist russia" phrasing stolen from the onion
Squid

Post by Squid »

no pic wrote:the short answer? Men don't go through menopause.

hmmm. are we sure about this? my dad had a midlife crisis like NOTHING my mom ever did. Even with her joining match.com and everything! tee!

no pic wrote: We are learning that the accrual of peak bone mass for women in their late 20s/30s is crucial.

oh dear. how do i accrue more value in my bone mass account?! my 30's are kinda flashing before my eyes. i need to get ready...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Squid wrote:oh dear. how do i accrue more value in my bone mass account?! my 30's are kinda flashing before my eyes. i need to get ready...

now you make me feel like I do when I see advertising for additional pension:
"if you don't start accrual of peak bone mass NOW, it may be TOO LATE!! "
- but surely my level of bone mass is enough to make it through my old age?
"but what if you live to be over 90 and you fall and break your HIP?"
- okay, give me another glas of calcium enhanced milk. No wait, my personal scientist indicated that wine might be a good idea. Hah!