Please cheer me up

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Please cheer me up

Post by Betty Felon »

Friday was a very bad day.

I woke up in the middle of a sleep cycle, with ten minutes to get ready, to yet another parking ticket. I never drive my car, so I don't see the street cleaning signs in time. At $50 bucks a pop, it gets old fast.

Then at lunch my wallet got stolen right out of my purse. They got $60 cash and within the half-hour it took me to realize and call the card companies there were already multiple charges on all my cards. I don't have a bank card, drivers license, social security card, etc. not to mention who knows what irreplaceable information in there. And the wallet itself was valuable, the only thing I could afford at Harrod's when I visited London.

I'm completely stranded with no way to even buy gas to get to my parents house. And now I'm pretty much assured of several years of identity theft.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

that's so awful, betty. i'm really sorry. between karousme getting his car stolen this past week, this happening to you, and approximately half the country still planning on voting for bush, i have little faith in humanity at the moment.

but look at it this way...it can only get better from here.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Oh god. Betty, that is absolutely heinous. I am so sorry.

Do either your bank or your credit card companies have reimbursement policies for theft? (As in, making sure the charges are taken off your card asap, getting you a new card asap, etc.) It's worth a few phone calls...though you may have already asked while you were cancelling them.

Also, can someone at yer parents place come get you, instead?

<b>EDIT:</b>Oops, I forgot the cheer up part...

1) you have friends both in meatspace and cyberspace who are genuinely concerned for your welfare.
2) so many books, so little time
3) If you are ever in SF, please print this coupon for a free beer.
4) when i finally get a pug, i think i want to name it ichiro. for a non baseball person, this is a VERY BIG DEAL.
aj

Post by aj »

argh!

what can I do? need a ride? need some cash?

that's so incredibly frustrating!

my monthy bills are paid, so you can have everything that's left over. don't be stubborn-- you need ANYTHING call me. if I have it, it's yours.

oh betty.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

that sucks so much.

you probably feel like you want to get the person who did this and completely deform their face.
Alas, I cannot bring that person to you, but if you want to release some of that anger, try this link, there's dozens and dozens of faces to release some of your frustration on.

big hug!
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Cheezus, the nerve of some assholes!
*hugs Betty*
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

same thing happened to me last year, they got 3 credit cards, my SS card (yes, I am a dumbass) and even my medical license. BUT the good news is that I was not responsible for the 900$ of charges onthe cards, and 16 months later, no evidence of identity theft. So far. I notified the credit bureaus right away, but there hasn't been any strange activity.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

I feel your pain. I hope things start looking better. These types of things always make you look at the bad things in life, but you have to keep it positive. I've been cynical all week about my car... but I've realized that's not the way to go.
miriyummy

Post by miriyummy »

sorry about all the bad luck, betty. i wish that i could do something to help. if you're in need of some cheer-up tunes, let me know.

i had the same thing happen to me at christmas. 160 bucks and my credit card, debit card, insurance card with my ss# on it, and my brand new, full to top metrocard. very few people got christmas gifts last year. luckily, i noticed right away so they only charged about $25 to my card. a couple of weeks later i got a phone call from a girl who found my wallet under her car after the snow melted. the only things missing were my credit card and the cash, so i think i made out ok.

good luck. i hope that you get everything straightened out soon.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

omg jace, your car?! That super sucks. Makes my stupid wallet look like lost laundry change. You're reaction is amazingly mature.

Thanks everyone for being so darn nice. Now that I'm not upset anymore, it's really no big deal. The worst part about the whole thing is that you feel all this surprise and anger, etc. And you want to take on the world....and there is nothing you can do. powerlessness.

But nice people came out of the woodwork to help me. I could see right away that I haven't been properly appreciating my excellent friends.

Oh, and another plus...when you put a fraud alert on your social with the credit bureau's they take your name off the pre-approved credit card junk mail list! And also, I will get a surely highly entertaining report every year of everything reported under my social. It should be fun to see how many people have gotten jobs, etc, with my SSN.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the insurance card. I forgot about replacing that...
anthropomorphizing_kitty

Post by anthropomorphizing_kitty »

Maybe not super-cheery, but in the "it could be worse" category, here is my week.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Aw. That is a seriously bad week indeed. If my pet died I'd need a week off work to grieve.

If you need some guidance this book is supremely comforting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0062508342/qid=1096898265/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3733428-3480650?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
aj

Post by aj »

sorry, ak.

I feel your pain.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

what a beautiful cat, I'm so sorry to hear this, Bryce.

if anyone has any good news to share, please do, all of this is getting under my skin
grant
wears the boots

Post by grant »

This should cheer you up: arch-conservative Supreme Court Justice Scalia has started cracking jokes about orgies during his public speaking engagements... sure to confuse some of his supporters.

In fashion news, female Afghani riot police officers are wearing high heels and stockings as part of their uniform.
Says U.S. Sergeant Damian George: "The women expressed that they have been in high heels their whole life, and they feel they can accomplish the mission in those."

And in other news from the War on Terror, an Australian airport was closed down for over an hour... by a sex toy. Apparently, officials heard humming coming out of a trash can and panicked. The key paragraph: Police evacuated the terminal and were about to call in bomb experts when an unidentified passenger came forward to identify the contents of a package left in the bin.

You know, when you travel with a laptop computer, security officials make you demonstrate that it works to ensure it's not actually a bomb....
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Thank You Grant, for making my boring day at work just a little better.

Cheers!
Harvey Winters
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Harvey Winters »

Had my wallet stolen the night before I was to leave for Seattle to see HDanger...
They wouldn't let me rent a car (Damn, you, Alamo)...
I know your pain...