VP Debate

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Yarn

VP Debate

Postby Yarn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:15 pm

Thoughts, anyone?

My opinion: Much closer than the Kerry/Bush debate, but Edwards took it. Not only because of the content itself, but because of personality- and we know that plays a part. If I was an undecided voter, and I'm not, and that debate was a dead tie, and I don't even think it was, I would still choose Edwards, because he is so much more charismatic.

Agree, disagree? Please inform.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:14 pm

My thoughts are that political discussions are tiring. Everytime either canidate (and they're respective vice-presidents) bent over and say, "kiss it" both news organizations and internet forums are swaped with political trite, trite I say. I have no problem someone being political, I encourage it to a certain extent, but you can only analysis the same thing so many times before people become bored and tired of everybody else's political thoughts.

sorry for the rant, but I can't seem to escape the election "crisis". I know who I'm voting for.

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:20 pm

just because you know who you're voting for doesn't mean that the debates shouldn't be shown. there are still many undecided voters that will sway the election and the future of america and the middle east. i'd agree with yarn and say that edwards took this one.

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:40 pm

BladeRunner wrote:My thoughts are that political discussions are tiring. Everytime either canidate (and they're respective vice-presidents) bent over and say, "kiss it" both news organizations and internet forums are swaped with political trite, trite I say. I have no problem someone being political, I encourage it to a certain extent, but you can only analysis the same thing so many times before people become bored and tired of everybody else's political thoughts.

sorry for the rant, but I can't seem to escape the election "crisis". I know who I'm voting for.

I understand. The rhetoric and half-truths become overwhelming, and none of the things these politicians say comes as a surprise, changes my opinions, or are ultimately worth discussing. However, I involve myself in this only because I know it is affecting others in strong ways. And these others are the ones who will decide the future of our nation. Therefore, I watch the debates, in hopes that "my" chosen candidate will prevail and attract some new voters. It's like rooting for a sports team.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:45 pm

thewalrus wrote:just because you know who you're voting for doesn't mean that the debates shouldn't be shown. there are still many undecided voters that will sway the election and the future of america and the middle east. i'd agree with yarn and say that edwards took this one.

My quarry wasn't the fact that the debates were televised, but rather that about 3 million other people decided that it would be a good idea to discuss such items over a variety of messages boards and in the end nobody wins because they're either a stagnant (one-sided) forum or the thread is spammed out by zealots.

Congratulations on watching the debates, sharing you deliberation to this forum will only set about consequences that are hard to discuss on here anyway, due to the medium.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:03 pm

Yarn wrote:Therefore, I watch the debates, in hopes that "my" chosen candidate will prevail and attract some new voters. It's like rooting for a sports team.

Perhaps this is where we split hairs. I don't feel that one should wear one's political affiliations like a badge. I'm all for respecting one's beliefs, but the current state of affairs (in both major political parties) leads to either half-truths or tautologies. And that's still okay. You're welcome to your beliefs as long as I don't feel they're threatening mine (and believe me, they're not). I believe in the individual, so the idea of team support is shaky to me.

The whole reasoning for my outburst had to do with one individual at another Internet forum. This person, a supposed philosophy student, was so crass and obnoxious that it is real hard to understand him. He is loud (in internet terms) often damning the political right and promoting the political left. He often makes multiple political threads, often damning an individual aspect of President Bush and will often discuss different aspects of Bush then what the thread was originally discussing.

IE: Bush is a lame-brain.
Bush is properly defined by Michael Moore.

See what I mean? And this is after he’s made two different threads about Michael Moore’s interpretation Bush, and Bush’s reaction to Michael Moore.

This is but one example I have come across as Election Day draws near.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:03 am

hmmmm. I tend to agree with Bladerunner (though I missed the political eruption here earlier) but I must say that I think these internet boards are a great medium for discussion. The responsibility for a civil, informed productive discussion lies on the individual members of the board.

As for the debates...regardless of whether or not they acutally influence anybody, or why you watch them, they are clearly the tired old shell of an actual debate. It would be so much more interesting to watch if the questions were pointed and difficult.

Harry Browne, who ran for President on the libertarian ticket a while back, wrote an article called, "Questions that Won't Be Asked in the Presidential Debate" They are a little libertarian biased, but would have made for a much better debate...it can't be denied:

http://harrybrowne.org/articles/DebateQuestions.htm

aj

Postby aj » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:16 am

I think they should just fight. like really throw down.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:39 pm

This Kerry was in a rock 'n roll band is probably old news to you all, but I only read about it today.

What I really find intriguing is the band politics - there's two former members rereleasing a record which wasn't very good in the first place, and they quarrel about which one has most authenticity and where the proceeds must go to...

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:08 am

BladeRunner wrote:Perhaps this is where we split hairs. I don't feel that one should wear one's political affiliations like a badge. .

Poor choice of words, on my behalf. I was attempting to express the feeling I have about this, more importantly why I watch the debates and care about other's opinions, even though it's all old news to me- as it is to you. I by and large side with the left (not the neccesarily the Democrats, by any means) but would gladly cast my vote for certain right-leaning politicians.

BladeRunner wrote:I believe in the individual, so the idea of team support is shaky to me.

Therefore I do as well.

The single reason this thread was created was because I was, and still am interested in who people thought won this thing. I'm not interested in a debate, or even a dicussion. I have a person I want to win, and I want to know how they are being viewed in the eye's of others. That was all.

stephanie

Postby stephanie » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:30 am

John Edwards' hair looked awesome.

I hate politics.

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:08 am

Brilliance!

Return to “Cattywampus”