New Music?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

c-dog

New Music?

Post by c-dog »

Does anyone here have any reccomendations of new music?
I'm itchin' to introduce some new sounds to my bored eardrums. Any suggestions of new stuff, recently discovered old stuff, music you can't live without, Bulgarian Folk ditties that are too die for, whatever you think is worth a listen....
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

I've just been listening to some Mojave 3 on the iTunes.

You may or may not enjoy Bob Lind as well (the mp3s on that site are recent demos -- the 60s stuff and the upcoming album are where it's at).

Oh, and I've been telling people high and low about the Ditty Bops, who have a wonderful site with an album's worth of streaming music. Their songs are like a cross between That Dog and the Squirrel Nut Zippers, and the site looks like it's been designed by the same people who did Rasputina's site.

And Camper Van Beethoven's new album is necessary listening.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

Although I have mentioned it elsewhere, the new Will Johnson solo "Vultures Await" is brilliant. And I dig the new American Music Club, 7 years in the making.
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

no pic wrote:Although I have mentioned it elsewhere, the new Will Johnson solo "Vultures Await" is brilliant. And I dig the new American Music Club, 7 years in the making.

I just saw the aforementioned Will Johnson and American Music Club on Monday night! Oh, how I've missed Mark Eitzel and Co.! They rocked as much as a band mainly dedicated to quiet ballads about drunken loneliness can.

I'm digging the Neko Case live album as well. But then again, I love Neko.

The new Paul Westerberg record is OK, but that's one where I'm afraid my love of the Replacements is coloring my opinion of it. (Then again, he has made some pretty craptastic solo records. This is definitely on the "better" side of the spectrum.)
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

I guess that's good to hear. Come Feel Me Tremble was such a disappointment. Anyone heard the new Nick Cave? Also, I heard somewhere that part of the reason Mark's been outta the music biz for awhile is that he was getting a PhD in Biochemistry. Or maybe I made that up.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I just bought The Weakerthans' "Reconstruction Site" It was released last year and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to pick it up....it's fantastic.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

Yes, I love the Weakerthans, and the Wannadies also-so cute!

The one I felt bad about being so late on was Los Halos "Leaving Va".
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

The Wannadies? Are they related to the Weakerthans? Or Propaghandi?
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

No not related, but for some reason I link them thematically. They are completely irresistible.
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

i've been in love with andrew bird since i saw him a few weeks ago at the tractor.. violins, whistling, sad lyrics, sweet voice, lots of noodling around with sampling himself and strange ways of playing that violin. yummy.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I just jumped on to the Forget Cassettes and Q and not U. They're touring with ...And You Willl Know Us By The Trail Of Dead this fall (though FC just dropped out of the south west b/c of exhaustion). Check em.
Fi

Post by Fi »

Bluebottle Kiss are over in the US touring, and Darren Hanlon is playing some shows with The Magnetic Fields if you like aussie stuff.
Nick Cave is playing the Sydney festival (not much use to you guys..but YAY)
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

Fi wrote:Darren Hanlon is playing some shows with The Magnetic Fields if you like aussie stuff.

I am actually going to one of the Magnetic Fields shows that he is opening for...
pearlandearl

Post by pearlandearl »

i can't stop listenin to:

ac newman
hail social (just here with interpol)
the elected
this old spoon album i hadnt heard before

and the best of the best if you have not heard them you MUST:
the old canes.
do it.
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

Stuff I've been diggin' (some new, some not): South, Holopaw, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Muse, Enon, The Mountaineers, Solex, Ted Leo, Reggie Watts. Go downloadin, you'll find something you like.
rocklikemom

good music

Post by rocklikemom »

I listen to a lot of:

ratatat, american analog set, beulah, nada surf, juana molina, broken social scene, nina simone, jon brion...

if you havent checked out audioscrobbler (http://www.audioscrobbler.com), do so now. they log everything you listen to and make a statistics page for you which displays your most played bands and songs... and from there you can find new music and new friends who like the music you like. it ALSO has this really great thing where you can listen to a streaming radio of your favorite stuff which oftentimes plays music you've never heard and will probably like...

i'm http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/caretta/
No You Are
Current Heading: North

Post by No You Are »

I've been into Format, Huffamoose, and a great little band called the Animators lately.
BladeRunner

Post by BladeRunner »

The greats:

Death Cab for Cutie
Dismemberment Plan
Decemberists

if you've already exhausted this list, then I recommand:

Kind of Like Spitting
Rilo Kiley
Minus the Bear
Nada Surf
Harvey Danger
Netural Milk Hotel
Shins
John Vanderslice

if you find any and all related material by these musicians, then I think you will be happy.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

BladeRunner wrote:Netural Milk Hotel
Shins

Pffft, these DEFINATELY belong in "the greats".

Also, I recomend Of Montreal. Are any of you fans? They were part of the Elephant 6 Collective, along with Neutral Milk Hotel. I believe they are the last remaining band. Anyway, after loads of damn good albums they released what is being considered their best yet, not too long ago.

Check out a couple mp3s here http://ofmontreal.net/audiolounge.html
the hutch

Post by the hutch »

yeah, I like what I've heard from Of Montreal, tho I don't own any.

Bladerunner, isn't that list a bit, oh I dunno, a little Seattle/Pacific Northwest-centric? (Not that it ain't good stuff, n all.)

I forgot to mention The Eagles of Death Metal and (from Scotland) The Sluts of Trust. Especially if yer lookin fer somethin to piss off the parental units.