New Music?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I'll have to concur with Stephanie about the NIN album, its good, worth the listen!

But if you're still not listening to IdiotPilot, you'd better start now. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this band. It's almost made me forget the Ben Folds slump I'm in right now. Eventhough the music is very very different from BF, its still very very awesome.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

I have decided to upgrade my rating of the new Garbage album to 3.5 stars. I just keep liking it more and more. good stuff.

Also discovered: Martha Wainwright. why did no one tell me about this heart stopping voice? jenny lewis meets patti smythe meets....I don't know, a fallen angel.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Betty Felon wrote:Also discovered: Martha Wainwright. why did no one tell me about this heart stopping voice? jenny lewis meets patti smythe meets....I don't know, a fallen angel.
Coz everyone ignored me when i was swooning about her bro! I figured there was an unspoken wainwright ban on this board.

all kidding aside, she's fab. i believe she doing a club tour of sorts in addition to some opening dates for steve malkmus. we're not getting any solo dates here sadly, maybe your getting some in chicago?
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Squid wrote: Coz everyone ignored me when i was swooning about her bro! I figured there was an unspoken wainwright ban on this board.
I wasn't ignoring you, I just don't have too much to say about the one or two times I've listened to Rufus' last release and the time I saw him live with Ben Folds. I've never really gotten into him (or his sister for that matter), as long as their voices aren't the exact same, I would probably check out Martha's crooning.

And umm...go listen to The Replacements!
the new girl

Post by the new girl »

I just picked up the new Okkevril River yesterday and I've listened to it three or four times already. Highly reccomended.

And, of course, the new Mountain Goats is tasty.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Squid wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Also discovered: Martha Wainwright. why did no one tell me about this heart stopping voice? jenny lewis meets patti smythe meets....I don't know, a fallen angel.
Coz everyone ignored me when i was swooning about her bro! I figured there was an unspoken wainwright ban on this board.

all kidding aside, she's fab. i believe she doing a club tour of sorts in addition to some opening dates for steve malkmus. we're not getting any solo dates here sadly, maybe your getting some in chicago?
You know, with Rufus, a coupla tracks caught my ear, but for whatever reason I was never compelled to buy a whole album. Maybe it was too show tuney or something?

Its not ignoring when we don't reply, though, Miss Squid.....I think people just have little to say when they aren't super familiar with an artist. That and I usually check these threads when I don't really have time to reply and fully intend to reply later, but somehow dont get around to it. For what it's worth, I file everyones suggestions somewhere in my brain for later reference.

But Martha Wainwright...WOW. Of course, my procrastinating ways burned me today when I found out she was in town...oh, two days ago. I don't want to think about hearing that voice live and the show I missed. dammit!
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

OK: Sleater-Kinney's The Woods is a spectacular album! Please give it a rockin good chance! Nothing has been this good from them since Dig Me Out, and that's saying a lot!
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Any love joanna newsom as much as i?
she rocks the harp and her voice grates the ears oh so nice. definately an aquired taste but one worth aquiring.
zach

Post by zach »

Did you see her at Sasquatch? Brilliant, eh?
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

yeah! i was impressed that she did "inflammatory writ" without any keyboards.
zach

Post by zach »

My friend almost started to cry. He'd never heard her before and was pretty blown away. I was surprised by the lack of keys, but it was quite good without.
kramerface

Post by kramerface »

Eric sent me two CD's for my bday. the slow wonder, a.c. newman and the postal service, give up. to tell you the truth i haven't listened to them yet, but Eric is usually pretty good with the tunes.
zach

Post by zach »

A.C. Newman is really REALLY great. You'll enjoy it for sure.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

the new Spoon album is playing a lot in our house at the moment, and it certainly has its moments.
actually, a lot of old Spoon is being played as well, and I may well be overspooned any moment now.

I have no idea how old The Slow Wonder is, but it sure feels like it is time for a new AC Newman album. Any word on that?
kramerface

Post by kramerface »

AC Newman is really cool, very mello. It was a short CD, only like 33 minutes. The Postal Service CD is sweet also. It is like computer/techno-esque in a way. Aces to Eric, he is a music snob, but he does know his shit. I really enjoy both CD's.
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

New Teenage Fanclub on Tuesday.... you can listen to the whole album on the Merge website now(and the new Spoon if you want to listen before you buy) ....good stuff
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

I'm not so sure about the new Teenage Fanclub. Someone else described it pretty well: the songs are okay, but as soon as you've heard them, you forget what they were like - I couldn't sing a single one now. But maybe that's also because I'm listening to John Vanderslice.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

The new Vanderslice?

Soooo good.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Betty Felon wrote:You know, with Rufus, a coupla tracks caught my ear, but for whatever reason I was never compelled to buy a whole album. Maybe it was too show tuney or something?

Its not ignoring when we don't reply, though, Miss Squid.....I think people just have little to say when they aren't super familiar with an artist. That and I usually check these threads when I don't really have time to reply and fully intend to reply later, but somehow dont get around to it. For what it's worth, I file everyones suggestions somewhere in my brain for later reference.

But Martha Wainwright...WOW. Of course, my procrastinating ways burned me today when I found out she was in town...oh, two days ago. I don't want to think about hearing that voice live and the show I missed. dammit!
Oops, sorry! I was being totally facetious on the "ignore" tip. Rufus is too mainstream for this list anyway (at least, the production on the last three albums probably is), so I'd hardly expect replies about him. *

At any rate, I'm sure you'll get another chance to see her. I'm just bummed because refuse to shell out big $$ to see her open for Malkmus. I'm spoiled and used to seeing her with Rufus. Hopefully we'll get a club date or two out here.

*RE: the "showtuney" thing, his music has been described as "popera" which i think is pretty succinct. So if you like opera and grew up on musicals and folk singers (guilty as charged), it's just the ticket.
strange aside: of the myriad long winters converts i've made, all have also dug rw. go figure.
Squid

Post by Squid »

great. and in that long ramble, i completely forgot to ask you, dear betty, what's yer fave Martha tune thus far? i've been listening to it a lot, especially on interminable flights.

maybe it's a bit obvious for some, but "Don't Forget" just rips my damn heart out. it's like damien jurado wrapped in xanax.

factory would be the close second. and you?