New Music?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

the hutch

Post by the hutch »

Liesbeth, I'm so glad you got to see Will. I hear the next South San Gabriel will be out early next year, too...(drool, drool)

I in fact had gone to Good Records to buy the latest Sufjan Stevens, but the ever-knowledgeable guy behind the counter convinced me to get "Michigan" first, saying, "You'll be back for the new one in due time, miss, but one should really hear Michigan first." Or something like that. I will be taking that kind gentleman a plate of cookies, I tell you. Yesterday was truly transcendant, speeding across a sullen Texas countryside at 80mph with those glorious tunes...
Sally

Post by Sally »

The new Rheostatics album 2067 is really great...

I also love their Whale Music CD.

Oh yes, and they are Canadian, too!
sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by sour29 »

There's a surprising number of Canadians on this board. Yay!
carlitos

fresh from the D

Post by carlitos »

The new brendan benson is quite tasty...
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I just got the Mark Lanegan cd, Bubblegum, from my brother and I must say... My God, it´s so beautiful, it´s like heaven and a little hell all packed into one cd. A must have!
Like_a_zero

Post by Like_a_zero »

Hello.... Whats this? The new Brendan Benson stuff? Is it released or what,
i'm seeing him in april, can't wait!

newies - Cathey Davey, Graham Coxon, Aereogramme, John 5, The Apartment

oldies - Django Reinhardt (30's amazing jazz guitarist), Jefferson Airplane (Hippie inspired wierdness rock), Blur - Modern life is rubbish (my favourite album ever, never get bored of it, british indie rock from my hometown!)
carlitos

Post by carlitos »

Like_a_zero wrote:Hello.... Whats this? The new Brendan Benson stuff? Is it released or what

I dont think it is actually released yet... but it is "out there". Obviously, will buy an official copy when available, got to give BB his due.

Jefferson Airplane, yaas... After Bathing at Baxters? Crown of Creation? *Classics*. Saw Hot Tuna not too long ago- Jack and Jourma still got it.
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

Like_a_zero wrote:oldies - Django Reinhardt (30's amazing jazz guitarist)

Django Reinhardt is pretty amazing - if you haven't already, you should watch the movie The Sweet Lowdown - it is the story of his life and he is played by Sean Penn - it is directed by Woody Allen who is also a huge fan.
Like_a_zero

Post by Like_a_zero »

Yeah thanks for the replies,

Apparently you can get the new Brendan Benson album from soulseek though I don't really use that. I wish there was more info on the Sean Nelson album cos Brendan was rumoured to have helped out on that, very exciting things to look forward to. Also looking forward to the new vanderslice record a lot.

"with all the tears of america!"- Jeffereson Airplane, absolute legends

I'll have to check out the film about Django Reinhardt, love listening to his music, makes me wanna sit back and chill with a massive cigar!

I forgot to mention Curtis Mayfield in the 'oldies' too, legendary tunes there also.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I first got in touch with django's music through the movie Swing Kids. After watching that movie I became, just for a short time, a big Swing enthousiast. Later I heard that Swing Kids was a movie that became a part of the gayscene. I don't know why, but still I wonder what that means for me...
ok it's a bad anecdote, but I'll be sure to check out The Sweet Lowdown.
thanks.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

Note: Woody Allen's movie isn't actually about Django Reinhardt, but about a character similar to Django, playing the same kind of guitar during the the same period. I think he actually refers to meeting or competing with Django at some point in the film.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

grant wrote:Note: Woody Allen's movie isn't actually about Django Reinhardt, but about a character similar to Django, playing the same kind of guitar during the the same period. I think he actually refers to meeting or competing with Django at some point in the film.

Not to nitpick, but he's not playing just a character. He's playing Emmet Ray, who was a real jazz guitarist in the 30s. Anyway...great movie.

And Django is indeed awesome...can't beat virtuoso guitar. If you like that style, but want something a little less period-y, I highly recommend Joe Pass.
c-dog

Post by c-dog »

Hmmm I guess I was wrong - I saw the movie when it first came out - so my memory obviously has failed me - I guess that's what I get for not double checking... But - some of his music is on the soundtrack none the less!!
carlitos

Post by carlitos »

Is Pearl Django still kicking around Tacoma? I have fond memories of them at Cafe Wa...
stephanie

Post by stephanie »

Hey, everyone? Buy the new nine inch nails album.

Right now.

Just buy it. You can thank me later.

That's all.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

or for something in a completely different mood, try South San Gabriel's The Carlton Chronicles. I know it may get boring to hear me going on and on about this band (and other Will Johnson outfits), but yesterday I saw them play the entire album live and it left me quite speechless. It was only the third time they were playing it live, and it kicked total ass. And they were so modest about it.
Sally

Post by Sally »

The new Beck album is absolutely awesome!

Fun to listen to and bop around the living room...

Highly recommended.
Fi

Post by Fi »

Tambalane is the new band that Ben Gillies from silverchair has started. They have a single out in Australia, which has vocals very much like Crowded House (Finn bro's et al)

judging by the very slick website after only one single release, they mean business, and we might be sick of them by next year.

anyway the single is in the music section. http://www.tambalane.com
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Sally wrote:The new Beck album is absolutely awesome!

Fun to listen to and bop around the living room...

Highly recommended.

agreed, although i got tired of it pretty quick...

I like the song Girl, it has a brilliant intro!
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

How's the new Weezer? Chelsea, we need a report.

I picked up the new Garbage, and I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Some songs are crap and some are kickass. The track "Metal Heart" is fabulous and I don't know why its not the first single. It's definitely the old "Garbage" I remember from highschool, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion.