I'm flyin' to Seattle! =)

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

nwheather

I'm flyin' to Seattle! =)

Postby nwheather » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:00 am

Phew! I seriously thought I was gonna have to drive. Oh,thank god.

So, how many people on this board now have a reason to hide next weekend? About half?

Since I'm getting a car, I guess I can stay a good distance from the Seattle Center if that's where the cheapest rooms are...any of you guys know where the cheapest rooms are that aren't icky? That's really all I require, and I'm guessing the internet is not giving me everything there is...

Also, I'm thinking of going to the Croc Fri. night as I haven't anything else to do whilst the R.E.M. show I don't have a ticket for is going on; anyplace/anything you guys think I should check out? I don't suppose I could ask if anyone wants to hang out without recalling the quintessential high school nerd...

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:36 am

is REM sold out?

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:53 am

mildlyrestarted wrote:is REM sold out?

Gosh, I don't know...(checking at Ticketmaster)...I looked for one seat, any price, best available, and it came up with nothing. I'm guessing that means it's sold out?

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:45 am

When I was there, the EMP was pretty cool for a couple hour diversion. I think the Science Fiction hall of fame just recently opened there too!
I'm sure someone much closer could lend a hand better than I could!

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:14 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:When I was there, the EMP was pretty cool for a couple hour diversion. I think the Science Fiction hall of fame just recently opened there too!

Thanks!

I'm sure someone much closer could lend a hand better than I could!

I'm sure they could, too...so WTF are they??

C'mon, you guys! If any of you were coming here and wanted info, you couldn't shut me up about it! Somebody tell me something!

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:51 pm

the times i visited seattle before i moved here, i saw precisely none of the touristy things. i loved it muchly without them. i see the touristy things now, and i love them too.

when i visited, i went to rock shows. literally, that was all i did other than buy records and clothes that didn't easily make their way to milwaukee. also, i drank a lot.

it was warm and springy the first time.. i went to the washington park arboretum and it was breath-taking. i went to bellingham and anacortes, we saw the long winters, and also the tulip festival. we visited KEXP and barsuk hung out in capitol hill with the cool kids.

the second time, i was 21, and i literally went to shows and wandered around in the cold. i fell in love with walking the streets alone and figuring out the bus. i'm still in love with those things. even with all of the smelly scaries... they tend to be the only people that aren't too cool to talk to me just because. i also love the ferries, even though they make me nauseuous and scared shitless from my inability to swim.

check out threeimaginarygirls.com and see what's coming up. i moved here for the music, i moved here for the neon downtown, i moved here for a handful of faces that i barely knew, and they're still all i know.

maybe i'm going out on a spiritual limb here, but the cold, damp, wind spitting at my face while i watch the boats on choppy water is all i need to feel like i'm in the right place.

what dates are you going to be here? my brother is coming to visit me next week and i am going to be at REM on friday and probably both of the posies shows... the 23rd & 24th. maybe we can find something fun to do when i'm not working 100 hours a week?

stephanie

at the risk of being the world's biggest jackass

Postby stephanie » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:32 pm

Laurawr, if you're looking to stick with that "no talking to Bush voters" theme, you might want to check this out. *shiver*

Anyway, advice.. I once Pricelined an exceptionally decent room at the Red Lion on 5th and Pine for $50 a night. Also, go to Fremont News. It's right next to the Sonic Boom 'round thataway, and is chock full of the best kind of fire hazard: literary magazines!

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:19 pm

mildlyrestarted wrote:maybe i'm going out on a spiritual limb here, but the cold, damp, wind spitting at my face while i watch the boats on choppy water is all i need to feel like i'm in the right place.

gosh, i could not agree more.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:49 am

The singular time I went to Seattle, was for Sasquatch. It was the best weekend to be in Seattle cause it was dry, sunny and packed with british vacationers (on our memorial day weekend too. go figure). I nearly forgot, the new central Library is the most amazing place ever to hold books. I stayed at the hotel right next to it last time I was there. I'm desperate to go back. Desperate I tell you!

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:53 pm

For those who would like to contact me in Seattle tomorrow or Sat. (11/19-20), regardless of politics, I will be staying at Motel 6, 16500 Pacific Hwy S, phone# 206-246-4101. I have no idea what my room# will be, but you can ask the front desk for me by name. I hope to check in as early as possible, as my flight is coming in around 9.30 in the morning.

For those who offered info, thanks! I'm all about freewheeling it, but it helps to be forearmed with plenty of info.

EDIT: Okay, my stupid signature doesn't seem to be appearing...grrrr...my name is Heather Gaston.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:01 pm

you could go to west seattle and go to alki beach, its where my dad lives.

or lynnwood to the really lame stores that are new at the alderwood mall, i mean it ss junk theyve got clothing stores that like are only colors in the store is black or white!

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:45 pm

Well, the Friday REM show was fantastic. How was Saturday's?

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:39 am

we should have met up! i was dancing like crazy in the front.

dchris

Postby dchris » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:16 pm

Three and a half weeks and it's my turn!

Okay, so, yeah. I've been to Seattle twice, but this'll be the first time that I get more than one day to be a tourist.

Pardon me, I'm a little exicted.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:38 am

From what I've read, Saturday's R.E.M. crowd was much better than Friday's. Hmm. Anyway, it was a helluva show, despite the security nazis. Vancouver was more laid-back, although one security guy was a total condescending prick to me when I tried to explain why my 'aftershow' pass was actually supposed to be for pre-show.

Yeah, so I didn't get to do much in Seattle outside of the show...I went to the Croc Fri. night and had a pretty good time. Sat. night, it was Two Bells. (At least I think it was Two...it was Something Bells, anyway.)

Vancouver...who the fuck designed that city, crackheads?!? The streets change names about every two blocks; I got lost entering and leaving! Thank god my hotel was about 4 blocks from the venue, anyway!

I've decided that I'm not flying again unless I get to go overseas again before I die. (Trust me, you don't want me to start the story of my trip home.) So, next time I'm in the mood for a huuuuuge road trip--preferably during the summer--I hope to see some more of Seattle!

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:59 am

Friday's crowd was pretty old . . . but what can you expect.

It beat the crowd at Tom Petty.

Return to “Cattywampus”