UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!

Post by Squid »

Hello, Hello, Hello...

My house is in total shambles. There is clothing everywhere. Dirty dishes are piled in the sink. Mr. Mousebeans the cat has made a home out of the extra raffia that fell to the floor while I was hysterically preparing my Gift Baskets Of Food, Candy and Booze. Let us not talk of the Living Room. It is a silly, disastrous place.

Yet somehow, I feel content to ignore it all while I fawn over my new favorite toy (which you have of course divined from the title of my post). So while I sit here in my pajamas, waiting for my Johnny Cash albums to import...tell me: what item did you coerce people into getting you? What was the best holiday/xmas/hanukah/chanukah/kwanzaa/festivus solstice gift you got?

NOTE: If you are noble and good hearted and would rather tell me what you were proud to GIVE, that is also great.
Brantley

Post by Brantley »

I got a banjo...

Oh yes, party on.
Squid

Post by Squid »

NOTE, TWO: one other thing. i mean in no way to detract from what's happening in indonesia/sumatra/india/somalia/thailand, btw...so sorry if this seems a bit crass.

i just spent so much time reading the eyewitness accounts on bbc that i needed a bit of a break. (sigh)
Squid

Post by Squid »

Brantley wrote:I got a banjo...

Oh yes, party on.
do you play? i have always wanted to learn. but even mandolin kicked my ass...so i sort of abandoned that dream...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Christmas was pretty heartwarming at the Betty household. My parents are steadily becoming one person as they gave eachother identical gifts without premeditating it. First, the John Stewart book. Next, a sort of squishy, messaging pillow thing. Third, they both gave eachother the dvd "Before Sunrise" because they both loved the sequal "Before Sunset". How charming is that?

(The best part is they are both of the "it's the thought" mentality, so neither will return gifts...therefore, I got to keep the extra book and the extra movie. present overflow! hooray!)

I also got another shower cap. I think this will become a tradition.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Betty Felon wrote:I also got another shower cap. I think this will become a tradition.
i'm afraid you're going to have to help us understand this one, Betty.

ps: your parents are adorable.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Squid wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:I also got another shower cap. I think this will become a tradition.
i'm afraid you're going to have to help us understand this one, Betty.

ps: your parents are adorable.
http://www.thelongwinters.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=617
Brantley

Post by Brantley »

I play the guitar, but I don't play the banjo... yet.

Beware soggy melodies. Beware uninspired tunes, mundane instrumentals of poor arrangement. Beware rhythms of no substance! For I now have a Banjo! A banjo of light, of color, of magnificent brilliance and impossible charming twang. Like a phoenix rising from the smoldering sundered ashes, my banjo will burst outward into a thousand directions, permeating the constant sky, and striking wonder into the hearts of every muse and every immortal soul!

Pretty cool, huh?
mildlyrestarted

Post by mildlyrestarted »

brantly-

are you my friend with the FOLK ME shirt that you ripped off of me? i hope you still represent the love.

good to see you here!
Brantley

Post by Brantley »

Hell yeah I am. That shirt is the god damned coolest. I love people's reaction when they see it. And I never take credit for your brilliant idea.

I didn't realize you were on this board. I can also be seen on the Harvey Danger board as 'Brant'.
mildlyrestarted

oh, i mainly reside here. the harvey danger board is too much for me. i can't even handle the barsuk boards. good to see you!
pearlandearl

Post by pearlandearl »

UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!
what is UP with this??
isn't he singing "One! Two! Three! Forty!"

??
hellew.
what does that mean?
mildlyrestarted

actually, catorce is fourteen.
pearlandearl

Post by pearlandearl »

mildlyrestarted wrote:actually, catorce is fourteen.
still

this is not an answer
heathalouise

Post by heathalouise »

I will now illustrate my U2 dorkiness -- the reference is an inside joke. Steve Lillywhite produced U2's first three albums and the latest, which is their 14th. Hence, the "uno, dos, tres, catorce!"
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Mystery solved!

I'm superbly proud to have given the following gifts to my friend and her family:
To my friend C: Umberto Eco's Baudolino & a 6 of Red Hook Beer
To her Husband J: Starbucks French Roast Coffee and 2 awesomely Turquoise mugs

To her Daughter Sabine (whose birthday it was):
Section 7 Childrens book about a boy who befriends a cloud

To her Daughter Sabine to share with her sister India: 6 pieces of blue felt, 1 box of Pom Poms, Pipe cleaners (white & silver & red) and feathers to make thier own clouds.

Everything was worth hearing from Sabine (3 years old) exclaim as she opened her present: "Oh My! My very own Book!"
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

LoveSickJerk wrote:
To her Daughter Sabine (whose birthday it was):
Section 7 Childrens book about a boy who befriends a cloud

To her Daughter Sabine to share with her sister India: 6 pieces of blue felt, 1 box of Pom Poms, Pipe cleaners (white & silver & red) and feathers to make thier own clouds.

Everything was worth hearing from Sabine (3 years old) exclaim as she opened her present: "Oh My! My very own Book!"
How sweet! Incidentally, this just reminded me of the lovely Griffin and Sabine books, which I received this year from someone who remembered an idle conversation about them from months and months ago (that is really amazing and heartwarming when that happens).

They aren't really good for 4 year olds (ie, next year) but maybe when she reaches 12 or so. She sounds like a burgeoning little reader!
Squid

Post by Squid »

heathalouise wrote:I will now illustrate my U2 dorkiness -- the reference is an inside joke. Steve Lillywhite produced U2's first three albums and the latest, which is their 14th. Hence, the "uno, dos, tres, catorce!"
wow! thanks for that, heathalouise!

yeah, basically, the subject was my little way of saying I got an ipod for xmas. (Since the song in question is used in the ad, etc)
Squid

Post by Squid »

Brantley wrote: my banjo will burst outward into a thousand directions, permeating the constant sky, and striking wonder into the hearts of every muse and every immortal soul!

Pretty cool, huh?
i look forward to seeing you wowing the bluejeaned honeys here:

http://www.strawberrymusic.com/home.asp

(some funny ass, tongue-in-cheek "jamming etiquette" stuff here:)

http://www.strawberrymusic.com/jamming.asp
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Squid, was it that awesome U2 ipod? One of my friend's brothers got one o them for christmas, and it is sweet!