shows for those who travel

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Leroy

shows for those who travel

Postby Leroy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:48 pm

i decided to start a thread for all those who travel. i have seen a few posts here and there trying to find something good to do in an area, well here we go!

to start us off, i am going to rexburg, idaho (near idaho falls) between the 19 and 29 of this month and was wondering if anyone knows of any venues to look into in the area, or shows going on, or anything rockin' to do at all.

now its your turn to either ask others, answer others, or at least manipulate them to do your bidding or something.

Jeroen

Postby Jeroen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:35 am

I´m going to Berlin, you know, where David Bowie made his Herous album, where Lou Reed made an album, shockingly called Berlin, but that was all years ago and now I´m going there for a concert of Jack Johnson and I was kinda wondering what I could do for the rest of the weekend.
Berlin should have a lot of Jazz, but I don´t know where to go. So (Liesbeth) could someone help me out?

sorry, never been to Idaho or the states for that matter, so I can´t help you out, but good thread!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:07 am

This thread is a great idea. However, I can't help either of you as I've never been to Berlin nor Idaho. Perhaps you can visit the home of Built to Spill or something? Is it anywhere near Rexburg?

aj

Postby aj » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 am

never been, but a friend was telling me about tacheles in berlin and it sounded like something I would love. from what I hear there is also live music. in his words:
"tacheles, which is the bombed-out dept. store occupied by art studios and a bar on the top floor offering a panaramic view of berlin--its outside wall is missing."

that's really all I have.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:10 am

I'm pretty useless on Berlin, last and only time I've been was within a year after the wall fell, and so very much has changed since then. From what I've heard a lot of the interesting stuff happens in unexpected places, venues in backalleys and peoples livingrooms and whatever, that you only hear about from someone who lives there, because it changes all the time...

I liked Potsdam, the big frilly Sans Souci palace. And the Soviet War Memorial.
I was there on a geography study trip, and on the program was a visit to a factory in the eastern part of the city, totally run-down and unable to compete, where we had a really interesting discussion on female participation in the workforce (the fall of the wall had a pretty adverse effect on it, women being forced out of their jobs more than men). Memorable afternoon.

To add to this topic, the documentary on supervolcanoes I mentioned in the No Panic thread was all about Yellowstone Park. Anyone been? What's your thoughts about it, is it must-see?

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:18 pm

Liesbeth wrote:...

To add to this topic, the documentary on supervolcanoes I mentioned in the No Panic thread was all about Yellowstone Park. Anyone been? What's your thoughts about it, is it must-see?

If I was going to Berlin, I would definately check out the David Hasselhof Museum...surely that's a train wreck of entertainment.

And Liesbeth, I've never regretted visiting any US national park, they are all very soul-enlarging. Yellowstone is impressive, to be sure, but perhaps not as uniquely breathtaking as the Southwest. But that's just my opinion.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:33 pm

has anyone here ever been to rock shows in paris? i'm curious as to what they're like...

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:31 pm

i used to travel to see my fave bands a great deal. particularly in the UK -we would follow entire tours.

i miss it so much - all of the getting to know individual cities, your itinerary all picked out, with none of the gear lugging and performing that the band/crew endure.

Laura Suzanne

Postby Laura Suzanne » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:41 am

04.01.05 I am traveling from Mpls to Ames, IA
to see The Mountain Goats. Does that count?

[Y'all should come!]

stephanie

Postby stephanie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:50 am

Laura Suzanne wrote:04.01.05 I am traveling from Mpls to Ames, IA
to see The Mountain Goats. Does that count?

[Y'all should come!]

Ah, I will be there. Renting a car and hitting the Ames/Beloit/Madison axis, then Chicago in May.

This is all after last weekend, when I drove to Baltimore to scare the shit out of my friends, who were ending their tour that night.

I am young and invincible.

Return to “Cattywampus”