So long and thanks for all the fish

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Karousme

So long and thanks for all the fish

Postby Karousme » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:10 pm

Anyone going to see the film-version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Being a big fan of the book(s), I'm excited, but like any book-to-film situation, I'm cautiously excited.

Anyone else?

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:16 pm

I lied to get out of work in order to see it opening night.

Betty Felon

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Karousme wrote:Anyone going to see the film-version of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? Being a big fan of the book(s), I'm excited, but like any book-to-film situation, I'm cautiously excited.

Anyone else?

I loved the book, but the BBC version of the movie completely ruined any hope I had for an effective movie adaptation. I have no interest in seeing this new version. Perhaps that will change if it gets glowing reviews from the cool folks.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:19 pm

You should look at the trailer for yourself! I'm sure its up at apple. I saw the trailer before Constantine, and it erased all reservations I had, similar to yours.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:34 pm

One thing that looks good is that Douglas Adams himself wrote the screenplay.

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:45 pm

I first read the books around 3rd or 4th grade, and they had a huge influence on me. I was able to sit through about ten minutes of the awful mini-series, but hold cautious optimism for the movie. One of the coolest things my dad ever did was to call my school in 7th grade to tell them I had a dentist appointment, and then take me to Tower Books (now the queen anne easy street records) to get my brand new copy of Mostly Harmless signed (and stamped with a big 42 and Don't Panic in large, friendly letters) by Douglas Adams. His passing was a very sad event.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:05 am

So y'all didn't care for the BBC version? I think I loved it because it was so horribly bad, and obviously made on the cheap. What was that, like 20 years ago? Greatness, certainly.

But to answer the question, I cannot wait. To see the movie.

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:53 am

Hey, it's got Martin Freeman from "The Office" and Sam Rockwell. I'll be there. Not to mention the rest of the cast is pretty top notch as well.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:03 am

Well, I tell you what, you go see it and report back here. If enough people say it's good, I will consider seeing it.

Otherwise, my 9 bucks is on Woody Allen's new flick.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:50 am

Betty Felon wrote:Well, I tell you what, you go see it and report back here. If enough people say it's good, I will consider seeing it.

Even after his last 3 movies? I don't know if I like your odds Betty. You and I are not goin to Vegas ;)

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:31 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:
Betty Felon wrote:Well, I tell you what, you go see it and report back here. If enough people say it's good, I will consider seeing it.

Even after his last 3 movies? I don't know if I like your odds Betty. You and I are not goin to Vegas ;)

I keep hangin' on to Annie Hall. And Manhattan. And the Sweet and Lowdown. And Mighty Aphrodite. And Everyone Says I Love You. And anything with Peter Sellers in it.

Oh Woody, I still believe in you!

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:02 pm

I saw the new Woody.

It was ok, I guess. Interesting concept; I enjoyed that. I really went to see it because I thought Will Ferrell would go streaking...

(just kidding)

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:30 pm

Bear in mind, it was a radio show and a TV series before it was the books, and now they've released a second radio series that follows the books (roughly) that carried on beyond the end of the TV series.

The movie was sort of always in the works, from my understanding.

All were written by Douglas Adams, whose work pursuing the Meaning of Liff must not be overlooked.

Squid

Postby Squid » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:11 pm

Saw the trailer for Hitchhiker's before Sin City (which was awesome, btw) and it looked fantastic.

I'm a "pre-Husbands and Wives" Woody Allen fanatic, and have been avoiding his films for years. I gave this new one a chance and it's an excellent concept with a few good laughs but...let's just say I had two major points of contention with the film that I'd love to discuss with peeps after they see it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:14 am

Squid wrote:Saw the trailer for Hitchhiker's before Sin City (which was awesome, btw) and it looked fantastic.

I'm a "pre-Husbands and Wives" Woody Allen fanatic, and have been avoiding his films for years. I gave this new one a chance and it's an excellent concept with a few good laughs but...let's just say I had two major points of contention with the film that I'd love to discuss with peeps after they see it.

Ok, I'll see it soon and we'll make a little spoiler thread that people who haven't seen it can avoid reading.

I don't understand people who have abandonded later woody films. While my favorites are earlier, I thought Everyone Says I Love You was magnificent. And there were some duds early on too...Hannah and Sisters....ugh. boring.

Squid

Postby Squid » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:36 pm

it's like family. I love some people in my fam who had done some horrendous things.

so don't get me wrong, i heart the woodster! just not all the time. okay, so not for a long time. you know what i'm trying to say...

Leroy

Postby Leroy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:05 pm

i feel like a fool. i am a huge fan of the more than complete hitchhikers guide and loved mostly harmless, although i was disappointed to see and end to the love and lunacy that was so prevelent in the series of books.

i feel like a fool because i don't know when the movie is coming out. but as soon as i find out i will make it the time of my life. i promise.

i too prefer woody's old stuff, i think my personal favorite is bananas. hands down. i mean who other than woody could become the dictator of a foriegn country and rob a small deli of hundreds of sandwiches and wheelbarrows full of coleslaw. hands down. plus i respect him so much for his knowledge of jazz, independant of his movies, good or bad. and he sure has made both.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:58 pm

Just saw the commercial, and WTF didn't someone tell me Alan Rickman is the voice of the robot?!? That alone is enough to give me pause; add in the fact that Mr. Adams wrote the screenplay, and I really...ack, these days, 'hope' is the best I can do...hope it'll be good.

For me, Woody Allen = barf-fest. Old, new, doesn't matter. Barf.

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm

Alan Rickman, Mos Def, Martin Freeman (Tim from Office UK) and Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox.

And it's directed by the guy that did the "Coffee and T.V." video from Blur, which is easily one of the greatest uses of the format. Like, EVER.

Leroy

Postby Leroy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:15 pm

nwheather wrote:Just saw the commercial, and WTF didn't someone tell me Alan Rickman is the voice of the robot?!? That alone is enough to give me pause; add in the fact that Mr. Adams wrote the screenplay, and I really...ack, these days, 'hope' is the best I can do...hope it'll be good.

For me, Woody Allen = barf-fest. Old, new, doesn't matter. Barf.

seriously. we don't need your hate. this is all about love, and comming together for a joyous event. all of this negative energy is bound to come back and bite you.

Return to “Cattywampus”