Referring to a woman as a "broad"

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

How do you react to the term "broad"?

I kinda like it. It's sexy and masculine.
No votes
It's mild, but still derogatory.
15%
Retro-cool! It's an homage to Sinatra!
19%
Retro-retarded! I bet he's wearing a bowling shirt with flames or dice on it.
19%
I'm totally insulted.
7%
meh.
41%

Total votes: 27

Betty Felon

Referring to a woman as a "broad"

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:35 am

I've never had a problem with "chicks" and the like, but I don't appreciate and have a hard time with "bitches". I think "broads" falls somewhere in the vast gulf between the two, but where? Or because it's so dated and out of cultural context, is it not part of that affectionate-to-offensive spectrum anymore?

Your thoughts?

chelsea

Re: Referring to a woman as a "broad"

Postby chelsea » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:45 am

Betty Felon wrote: Or because it's so dated and out of cultural context, is it not part of that affectionate-to-offensive spectrum anymore?

that's exactly it. so i voted "meh."

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:54 am

Could we perhaps get some sort of origin of this term of endearment? Grant, I'm looking in your direction...

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:57 am

This is probably a bad time to admit i use this word all the time?

it just cracks me the hell up. try it! refer to a female family member as, "That broad in Denver" while talking to your Mom. She'll love it.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:17 am

Squid wrote:This is probably a bad time to admit i use this word all the time?

it just cracks me the hell up. try it! refer to a female family member as, "That broad in Denver" while talking to your Mom. She'll love it.

Interesting. That puts an odd spin on it, hmmmm. I've never heard a woman use the term. Nor have a heard it used on a family member/wife/girlfriend/friend. It's always, "I was at the store and this crazy broad started screaming at me..." or something.

Lately I've noticed a lot more people using it. I notice it, maybe because it's unusual, and I try to gauge from context whether or not its disrespectful. It carries some sort of connotation, but I can't figure out what it is....

Also, I can't imagine getting away with calling my mom a broad. She does laugh when I call her a "lady" though.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 am

A female friend of mine uses the term "broad" regularly to describe women. I've realized that when I'm around her I use it too, but when I'm not, I refrain for fear of offending. I do like it, and don't personally think it's offensive so I voted retro-cool.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:15 am

I'm totally oversensitive, I know, but I hate any derogative descriptions of women, and I think I hate it even more when they are used by women about women. Although it's not so much feeling insulted, but feeling really uncomfortable with it.

By the way, the same would go for males, I suppose. I just generally like it if people refer to other people by neutral or positive qualifications. I'm a hippie, I know.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:20 am

I found this origin for the term:

"Broad
Where did this slang word for woman come from? Evidently, it is not from being broad in the hips as is commonly believed.

Broad originally meant a playing card, especially one used in three card monte. This usage dates to 1781 and may refer to style of playing deck. In modern card decks, a bridge deck has narrower cards than are found in in poker deck. If this variation in card size is older (I know words, not cards), then a broad could be a reference to this larger cut of cards.

By 1912, broad was also being used to refer to a ticket (admission, transport, meal, etc.). Why this is so is uncertain. It could be due to the resemblance between a ticket and a playing card, or there could be another reason.

By 1914, the word was being used to mean a prostitute (perhaps from a pimp's meal ticket), then to women of loose morals, and eventually to women in general. Another explanation for this last shift could be the use of cards in three card monte. The goal of that game is to pick the queen from among three cards, and broad could have transferred from the card, to the queen, to women."

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:20 am

I voted retro-cool!
I use it when I know the company I keep is OK with it. Sometimes I qualify the word to eliminate any question of it's derogatory nature, by simply putting "dingy" (like the sound a bell makes) in front of it. Then I have myself an insult.
Otherwise, I use it when I've already said "Dame" (usually preceeded by "classy" [which could also be used sarcastically with broad]), or regarded a nice pair of legs as "Stems". Now we're on the trolley!

Squid

Postby Squid » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:56 am

Betty Felon wrote:Also, I can't imagine getting away with calling my mom a broad. She does laugh when I call her a "lady" though.

No, i said, call another relation a broad in *front* of your mom, and see what she does.

And though I probably don't need to, I should point out that I'm half kidding here, and that I do use it, but certainly not randomly, in public, with strangers. It's more of a ghetto-fabulous moment between girlfriends: IE, "I told that broad what was UP!", etc.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Squid wrote:And though I probably don't need to, I should point out that I'm half kidding here, and that I do use it, but certainly not randomly, in public, with strangers. It's more of a ghetto-fabulous moment between girlfriends: IE, "I told that broad what was UP!", etc.

I'm at least wearing a suit when I bust it out.

pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Postby pas de nom » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks Betty Felon for the history of the word broad, I always love learning about the orgins of words.
I would also have to agree with your statement regarding the cultural context. I would not be offended being called a broad. I think my first response to such a label would be... hmm, okay... thanks, I guess. I am not easily offended and the word doesn't evoke any emotions.

LikeAFox

Postby LikeAFox » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:44 am

It's all about context. But still, I usually hear it said by insensitive males, so there you go. Although, I have a lesser problem with the term "dame," since I usually hear it said by cartoon wolves. So there's something to be said for context, I guess. Ha-cha-cha-cha!

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:07 pm

You're all my bitches.

Anyway, when it comes to most of the uncomfortable un-"PC" word, I usually say to come off sounding like a dumbass. I'd probably never use to term broad though. The contemparies that use these slang remind me of a guy named Renner. Renner, Renner was an asshole. A fucking asshole.

murgatroyd

Postby murgatroyd » Wed May 25, 2005 7:33 pm

I prefer "bird" myself. Has a certain retro-British charm to it.

Brantley

Postby Brantley » Thu May 26, 2005 7:18 am

How could you possibly be offended by this term? It is such an antiquated and trite word that using with any infinitesimal mote of sincereness would illicit the most fantastic outbreak of laughter.

You stumblebum-rube, you're such a gongoozling spatherdab!

Return to “Cattywampus”