songs for silverman

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

matthewsturm

songs for silverman

Postby matthewsturm » Wed May 04, 2005 10:48 am

What do you think of Ben Folds latest effort? I for one think it's pretty dern good. Perhaps his best so far (at least his best solo album so far). But that's just what I think. What do you think?

-MMmMmM
www.matthewsturm.com

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Wed May 04, 2005 11:22 am

I'm having a very hard time with this album. I think I wasted 5 minutes of Stacy's life last night trying to explain my satisfied, but still wanting feelings over this album. The closest I got to adequately describing it was as follows:

"Ben's albums always had peaks and valleys, low mellow ballads and songs, but high energy and excitement at points, with lyrics that ALWAYS hit the right chords. This album seems more like a bumpy road, never deviating too far from the center. "Mature" is the dirty word used to describe this type of album."

I'm still not happy with most of that description. I need to listen to it more. I had it for a week prior to release too, and I haven't gotten a clear bead on it. I really don't want to utter the D-word, but I think Rockin' The Suburbs was better. Something is missing on this CD and I'm not sure what it is. Its not the musicianship, Ben has outdone himself: its amazing. Lyrics are tight and just about everything I'd expect from Ben. The last time I felt this way about a band was after listening to "Everything To Everyone" by Barenaked Ladies (of which I was/am sorta still a huge fan). I admitted, in the end, my disappointment with BNL's latest offering. But if I have to offer it up to Ben Folds in the same year, I don't know what I'd do. Right now, that Harvey Danger album couldn't be here fast enough.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 04, 2005 12:57 pm

So which album is the best to start with?

aj

Postby aj » Wed May 04, 2005 1:49 pm

I'm very hesitant to say start with the live album, but it is a great overview with a lot of variety.

betty, if you're around this summer we should see ben folds/rufus wainwright at ravinia.

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Wed May 04, 2005 1:54 pm

Which Ben Folds to start with?

wowza!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 04, 2005 7:41 pm

aj wrote:I'm very hesitant to say start with the live album, but it is a great overview with a lot of variety.

betty, if you're around this summer we should see ben folds/rufus wainwright at ravinia.

OK lets.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu May 05, 2005 4:41 am

I'm less hesitant to say start with the live. Its basically a greatest hits CD of the BF5 days and everything through Rockin The Suburbs. The trick is, Ben plays them only on piano, which makes them different, but still awesome. Besides, if you check out the pictures in the liner notes, you can see me in the crowd, front row. And that ridiculous looking dog is straight from the B-lo kiddies.

Check out The Onion AV club's interview with BF this week!

Return to “Cattywampus”