Magarag

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

best mag

New Yorker
25%
Vanity Fair
6%
National Geographic
19%
Wired
6%
Economist
No votes
Filter
No votes
Esquire/Maxim
6%
Vogue
No votes
Cat Fancy
No votes
Other
38%

Total votes: 16

Betty Felon

Magarag

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 11, 2005 1:07 pm

What's your favorite magazine?

pas de nom
Location: Seattle... at the moment, in the middle of France (Montluçon)

Postby pas de nom » Wed May 11, 2005 1:18 pm

I must vote for National Geographic... it is the only magazine which I look through. I have even made a head sculpture of Gilbert Hovey Grosvenor, who was an editor for National Geographics from 1899 to 1954... I am pathetic :)

Forrest

Postby Forrest » Wed May 11, 2005 1:34 pm

The Nation
Mother Jones
Beard Bandits Monthly

In that order

empirelucas

Postby empirelucas » Wed May 11, 2005 1:50 pm

TV Guide

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed May 11, 2005 1:50 pm

While I enjoy the New Yorker and Nat'l Geographic, I think my favorite's gotta be dwell. Statisfies the part of me that still might dreams of being an architect and my love of all things modern, even if I can never afford them. Maybe I'll just tape the ad for the couch I'd love on my crappy futon and cut out all the spiffy jewlery and wear it like paper doll accessories...

Another cool one, but a little harder to find is Ready Made. I also tend to be a sucker for the Smithsonian and the occasional travel magazine.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed May 11, 2005 4:47 pm

i voted other because i have different favorites for different categories....

music: the big take-over is lovely, though it only comes out twice a year and is more like a book it's so chock-full of indie rock goodness. i also enjoy paste, filter, diw, and under the radar (which includes a "chris walla explains it all" column in each issue, by the way).

news: my parents subscribed to time when i was a kid, so i read that quite a bit. then i didn't for awhile, but my last job subscribed to it, so i got to read every issue there and became hooked. i know it's mainstream, but i really like it....

celebrity gossip: people and US weekly are my guilty pleasures.

i had a thing for in style while in high school, but that phase (?) passed.

and i won't talk about that uh, girlie magazine i've been known to purchase. i've been doing better about not buying it, really.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed May 11, 2005 6:29 pm

I thought about doing the different categories, but then I just picked a magazine I thought was the most definitive in the category. I did leave out the newsweeklies, the gossip rags, the trade journals, and the super biased political mags.

I used to read Newsweek and/or Time, but lately they just seem like phamplets expousing christian agenda. I can't handle it.

My vote goes to Vanity Fair. The photographs are stunning, the articles are smart, well written and extensive. But at the same time I can just sit back and enjoy it. I also like that its not particularly targeted at males or females.

c-dog

Postby c-dog » Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Ready-Made
Z Magazine
American Craft

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed May 11, 2005 7:29 pm

I will answer with no shame whatsoever by saying I greatly enjoy reading Maxim magazine.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Thu May 12, 2005 4:53 am

The New Yorker is what gets me through the mornings. Though since I don't eat breakfast at home during the week anymore, it's gone by the wayside. It appears to be only a weekend ritual, of waking up saturday and sunday, and plowing through an issue while eating and relaxing. Oh man. I can't even wait.

I would like to point out, that I would have chosen Wizard: The Guide To Comics if the TNY wasn't on the list. And that all of my magazine and music stores have stopped ordering Under The Radar. Which makes me amazingly sad.

aj

Postby aj » Thu May 12, 2005 6:53 am

I love national geographic. I think a lot of it is a nostalgic thing. my dad was a subscriber. plus, its the best mag for reading back issues.

the only mainstream girly magazine I would ever even grant a second glance: jane. it's been watered down lately it seems, but as far as mainstream stuff-- as witty, blunt, feminist, and sarcastic as you can get without having to go black and white and sold in only bookstores.

I like bitch.

I like all the liberal stuff, but in smaller doses-- the nation, the progressive, mother jones, etc.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Thu May 12, 2005 10:26 am

New Scientist, thank you kindly.

The only news that matters.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Thu May 12, 2005 4:27 pm

oh oh oh! how could i forget the utne reader?? i don't know what category it falls into really (news? popular culture? opinion?) but it's pretty flipping fantastic.

BladeRunner

Postby BladeRunner » Thu May 12, 2005 10:09 pm

magazines are for people whoe can't understand journals.

Brantley

Postby Brantley » Fri May 13, 2005 7:49 am

Journals are for people that don't have broadband.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Fri May 13, 2005 8:10 am

Can one of you New Yorker fans explain why you like it so much? I don't get it.

My parents subscribe, so I scan it from time to time, but outside of a random article here and there, I mostly find it boring, if not painful, to read. Its too self-conscious and it's too much work. If I bring a New Yorker on the train, I find myself staring out the window instead.

I will have to check out some of these mags though.

Oh, and I forgot my favorite science magazine...Nature. I'm not sure why, but no other science mag has captured my attention the way that that one can.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Fri May 13, 2005 2:43 pm

The New Yorker--Aside from the cartoons (my favorite part), it's a great magazine to have sitting around for 5 minute reads, be it in the bathroom (my parents' house...) or on the table outside the lab (my current source). There's always something interesting, if a little strange, to occupy a few minutes' break.

Magazines vs. Journals--Magazines I read tend to be for mostly mindless entertainment whereas journals are for work and general enlightenment. Nature's a good read, but I like Science for the broad, sometimes random knowledge, and I have a tendency to read Cell from cover to cover when I feel really nerdy (which is often :).

matthewsturm

Postby matthewsturm » Fri May 13, 2005 8:31 pm

Wizard - Guide to the comics
Cargo - men's buyers guide
Paste - Keen music magazine, w/ a compilation cd in each issue
and while I've never bought an issue, I often times find myself flipping through a very torn and tattered issue of Star Wars Insider whenever I make my rounds through the local bookshop. The End.

nwheather

Postby nwheather » Sun May 15, 2005 11:46 pm

Magazines? Are you shitting me? If I ever get another chance to read, it will be the book I started around two years ago!
And if there's any time left after that, I'll attack the pile of books I haven't even gotten to yet!

If I'm stuck with one in an office of some sort...I dunno, anything but Highlights, I guess.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon May 16, 2005 4:58 am

the new girl wrote:The New Yorker--Aside from the cartoons (my favorite part), it's a great magazine to have sitting around for 5 minute reads, be it in the bathroom (my parents' house...) or on the table outside the lab (my current source). There's always something interesting, if a little strange, to occupy a few minutes' break.

Pretty much the same thing. I read an article or two in the morning before I go to work. Keeps the ol' eyes goin. However I'm notoriously backlogged on reading, so I'm reading late march/early april issues right now. I get to see some democratic/leftist/snotty criticisms on the government 2 months ago, with the knowledge of how they were already solved (if at all). Kinda keeps it objective.

Plus, chicks dig it.

Return to “Cattywampus”