TMG on NPR

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Laura Suzanne

TMG on NPR

Post by Laura Suzanne »

There is an interview with The Mountain Goats on
NPR Weekend Edition today. It is worth a listen.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4651778
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Hey thanks.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

I know there are only two persons from Holland on this board and Liesbeth is not so crazy about TMG, but I thought I'd say it anyway: The Mountain Goats play at the Ekko in Utrecht the 23rd of august.
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

well, when they play at my favourite venue I might be tempted to go, actually. will see then, that's three months and a holiday from now.

for the record, I'm not from Holland.
born in Brabant. raised in Gelderland. have lived in Utrecht for 17 years.
I'm from the Netherlands.
</dutch historical society>
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

For those of you not from The Netherlands, Holland is actually the name of a REGION which encompasses a couple of PROVINCES within the Netherlands and is not synonymous with the Netherlands. Hell hath no fury like a Gelderlander misidentified as a Hollander.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Well... I don´t care. I´m from Gelderland, born and raised, and I really don´t give a f*ck what they call me. To perfectly honest I don´t care much for the name "Nederlander". It sounds like I´m a politician...

I´m dutch, when I go out to dinner it´s double dutch, when I´m at home I say pass the dutchie and so on and so on. (there are probably many more, but I don´t know them...)
besides, what is there to proud of when you live in gelderland?

no disrespect to the dutch historical society of course.
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I think possibly Gelderland is the least regionally proud province in the country. Brabant on the other hand...

I'm always really impressed when foreigners say Netherlands instead of Holland (and John is one of those quaint Americans who do). But I absolutely prefer Holland over being called German, of course. And in football.

To go back to the topic of the Mountain Goats, can't they take John Vanderslice with them? On his website he's saying how much he misses them already. Realistically I know that this won't happen in August, when JV has to battle his pixel revolt, but other than that, I think it would be a great, no, brilliant idea.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

On a not-really-related note, here's the entry on picking up Dutch boys from "How to Find a Man in Europe and Leave Him There" (link from metafilter: http://americangirlsareeasy.com/book/dutch_men.shtml )

What You Should Know about the Netherlands

Although a Dutch boy won't purposely make you feel bad for being ignorant about his country, feeling bad is inevitable. You'll be intimidated by his perfect English and knowledge about politics. Do you know who the senators from Ohio are? He does. Dutch boys know everything.

We'll tell you a few things about the Netherlands so you won't feel too lame. You'll be a step ahead of the rest of the tourists if you know that marijuana isn't legal. The Dutch signed an international treaty years ago making it illegal, but the Health Officials ran some studies and found it didn't cause insanity, so now they regulate it. Also, the Netherlands was originally swampland. Early settlers dug a bunch of dykes and canals and drained the country, making it livable. There, that should be enough general knowledge for your Dutch boy to pretend he's impressed.
Squid

Post by Squid »

oh dear.

are we supposed to go out and try to get laid in holland now? i'm not really sure i can live up to expectations of this board...

<i>EDIT: Sorry, I meant THE NETHERLANDS. Are we supposed to try to get laid in THE NETHERLANDS. Jesus. </i>

Ps: Netherlands actually sounds kinda dirty, when you think about it.

Nevermind.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Betty Felon wrote:Although a Dutch boy won't purposely make you feel bad for being ignorant about his country, feeling bad is inevitable. You'll be intimidated by his perfect English and knowledge about politics. Do you know who the senators from Ohio are? He does. Dutch boys know everything.

This, of course, is true. Except that I´m not very good at english and have no idea who the senators from Ohio are... I was pretty into the elections, but they have come and gone and so has my knowledge of American politics. (oh yeah, the terminator is still governor)

@squid: My mother used to say that we can do anything as long as we really want to... So you should just try really hard...
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

Squid wrote:oh dear.

are we supposed to go out and try to get laid in holland now? i'm not really sure i can live up to expectations of this board...

<i>EDIT: Sorry, I meant THE NETHERLANDS. Are we supposed to try to get laid in THE NETHERLANDS. Jesus. </i>

Ps: Netherlands actually sounds kinda dirty, when you think about it.

Nevermind.

Hahahaha. No no, well...if you want, I guess. I just threw that in there as further education on the Netherlands...you know, while we are learning and all.

The first part, though it relates to boys, actually made me think of Liesbeth and how I am frequently amazed by her grasp of english nuance and colloquilism, and also that she seems to know a little about just about everything. It seems that this is a general dutch characteristic.

Thus, it is probably also true of Jeroen.

I for one, am enjoying these Netherlands infobites almost as much as the ones about the giant squid!
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

Betty Felon wrote:also that she seems to know a little about just about everything. It seems that this is a general dutch characteristic.

we don't know shit about anything, but we like to say we do.
in perfect English, of course.

Squid wrote:Ps: Netherlands actually sounds kinda dirty, when you think about it.

oh sweetness, I have never ever thought about it that way. Isn't anything sacred anymore? Come to think of it, United States suddenly has a Kamasutra feel as well.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

Liesbeth wrote:Come to think of it, United States suddenly has a Kamasutra feel as well.

HAHAHA! I totally never thought about it that way before.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

I love this board and everyone on it!
Squid

Post by Squid »

Really? I'm about to start loving a few people in "The Netherlands", if you take my meaning.
LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Yes really! And I'll take your meaning!