Nada Surf

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Nada Surf

Post by sour29 »

Just got back from a Nada Surf/Rilo Kiley show.

Nada Surf was awesome, as usual. I talked to Matthew before the show (and I'm convinced he's one of the friendliest guys, evar), and he got super excited about my Long Winters t-shirt. He was bordering on giddy. I had to thank him for introducing me to the fine band back in May 2003. But anyhow, Matthew announced they have finally finished their new record last week, and will be out in September. They played a handful of songs from it, and it sounds to be some good tunes. The sound at the venue sucked hard though. Like, HARD hard. So hard, I walked out on Rilo Kiley (and I really like Rilo Kiley) because it was painful to listen to. Note to John: Never play the Opera House in Toronto (again). It sucks, and the people who work there are bonafide assholes. In fact, spread the word to all the wonderful Barsuk bands, and misc. friends. ;) But, to stay on my topic of Nada Surf, the band was wonderful in spite of the craptacular sound. The setlist was something like this...(although I don't claim this to be perfect)

blizzard of 77
hi-speed soul
happy kid
what is your secret?
concrete bed
imaginary friends
killian's red
fruit fly
blonde on blonde
always love
hyperspace

That might not be the exact order, but it's close. I love Nada Surf live -- it's my third time seeing them in the last two years. Who else is excited for the new record in the fall?

PS. I taped the show, but because the venue sounded like shit, the tape isn't all that great sounding. My friend is going to try and EQ it so it's prettier, but I'm not holding my breath. :\ Oh, and I had to stealth, because although I had Matthew's permission to tape, they weren't allowing recording equipment. Haha. I showed them. Stupid Opera House.
Last edited by sour29 on Fri May 20, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

thanks for the mini-review! did ya tell him that seattle needs some nada surf right about now? cause we do. i'm jealous.
LoveSickJerk

Post by LoveSickJerk »

Toronto seems to be the hotbed for indie this week. Wednesday Bright Eyes was in town too! And Tomorrow its The Decemberists! Which, I am very glad are NOT playing the Opera House. I remember seeing Nada Surf, TLW and DCFC at the Opera House a couple years ago, and the vocals were so low, it really bit. Almost ruined the night.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Don't forget The Good Life on Tuesday. That was a damn, damn good show. And Conor Oberst showed up. Good times.
dchris

re: Good Life

Post by dchris »

I'm assuming Kasher didn't turn into Drunken Fool Tim in TO. Wish I could have been that lucky.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

the sixth song is called "Imaginary Friends"

/minor nitpick
sour29

Post by sour29 »

My bad. I did know that. :(

And Tim was probably a little tipsy, but was having loads of fun. Which was contagious.
Moni

Re: Nada Surf

Post by Moni »

sour29 wrote:and he got super excited about my Long Winters t-shirt. He was bordering on giddy.

Heh he always does that... really nice :)

Thanksa for the review - I can't wait to see them on Saturday!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

You'll have a great time if the venue is any better than the Opera House. It's my third time seeing the Surf, and I'd love to see them a hundred more times.
A Mess

Post by A Mess »

When I saw them here in NC awhile ago, they played with Rogue Wave (whom I had never heard and were awesome). They played all the songs listed in the first post plus about 10 more, long long super show. My personal favorites were the solo version of "Your Legs Grow" as the first sogn of the encore and "80s Windows" off of my favorite album fo theirs.
junker347

Post by junker347 »

yeahhh Rogue Wave!
sour29

Post by sour29 »

I've seen them twice more since I made this post (a trip down memory lane, like whoa!), and taped them both. They have both been up on Dime....but here are the setlists...they probably haven't changed much..

10-12-2005
-------------
Blizzard of '77
Concrete Bed
Happy Kid
What Is Your Secret?
Hi-Speed Soul
Always Love
Killian's Red
80 Windows
Fruit Fly
Do It Again
Inside of Love
Blankest Year
Meow Meow Lullabye
In The Mirror
Robot
Paper Boats
The Way You Wear Your Head
- [encore] -
Your Legs Grow
Blonde on Blonde
Imaginary Friends
La Pour Ca
Stalemate
> Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
Hyperspace

03/10/06
-----------
Hi-Speed Soul
What Is Your Secret?
Happy Kid
Killian's Red
Concrete Bed
80 Windows
Inside of Love
Fruit Fly (en francais!)
Amateur
Blankest Year
In the Mirror
Always Love
Do It Again
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out [the Smiths]
Paper Boats
> Ocean Rain [Echo + the Bunnymen]
The Way You Wear Your Head
- [encore] -
Blizzard of 77
Stalemate
> Love Will Tear Us Apart [Joy Division]
Imaginary Friends
Your Legs Grow
Popular
Blonde on Blonde
Meow Meow Lullabye
Hyperspace

Both shows were fantastic, as always. Nada Surf remains one of my favourite live bands -- the show that started this topic was actually the worst I'd seen them; but I blame the venue and not our favourite rock trio.

EDIT: Has anyone else heard the iTunes exclusive All You Need Is Love? C'est magnifique!
A Mess

Post by A Mess »

Yeah, they played Amateur at my show, which is probably my favorite Nada Surf song. Hyperspace is an awesome closer. Also...."Meow Meow Lullabye"? What the hell, haha.
bijou

Post by bijou »

let go and the weight is a gift are permanent fixtures in the painting studio mix... sooo perfectly happy and wonderful they are. i've even given away a couple of copies of let go to sin city friends who also merited similar LW treatment and both gifts were met with the appropriate bravos.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

if i'm ever nervous or stressed out or upset about something, i just listen to nada surf and things are instantly better. some might call it magic.
sour29

Post by sour29 »

A Mess wrote:Yeah, they played Amateur at my show, which is probably my favorite Nada Surf song. Hyperspace is an awesome closer. Also...."Meow Meow Lullabye"? What the hell, haha.
It's from a charity compilation, For The Kids, Too, and is actually an irresistibly adorable song.
icapants

Post by icapants »

sour29 wrote:
A Mess wrote:Yeah, they played Amateur at my show, which is probably my favorite Nada Surf song. Hyperspace is an awesome closer. Also...."Meow Meow Lullabye"? What the hell, haha.
It's from a charity compilation, For The Kids, Too, and is actually an irresistibly adorable song.

Oh good grief, I love that song. :)
Burning Bride #7

Post by Burning Bride #7 »

Wow, there's almost nothing on either set from 'High/Low.' I guess they really want to rid themselves of the "Popular" era.

If and when they play "Popular," do they play it as it is on the infamous studio track or not? Because I remember someone telling me they did it differently now....
sour29

Post by sour29 »

They play it about the same, but very quickly. About the same as they've always played it live, as I understand it.

And yeah, they've really stopped playing anything from High/Low. I miss Ice Box.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

i've heard them play "stalemate" a handful of times...